macOS 10.15 Catalina is now available for download and can be hackintoshed here’s what’s new and well as some links to hackintoshing Catalina.
Whats new with macOS Catalina:
- Sidecar – Ability to use an iPad as a secondary screen (requires WiFi)
- New Screen Time App for macOS
- Updated Reminder, Notes and Safari Apps
- Apple Music & iTunes Removal
- Apple Arcade on the App Store
- Authentication with Apple Watch
- iCloud Drive folder sharing (Delayed Spring 2020)
- Removal of 32bit App support
Changes to hackintoshing with Catalina 10.15
- All system files were moved to a read-only partition meaning /L/E or /S/L/E can’t be edited on the fly when adding or removing kexts.
- To get around this these folders need to be mounted with write privileges this can be done through Terminal using sudo mount -uw /
- Catalina Graphics Support:
- Intel HD 4000 and higher
- AMD Vega, AMD RX 5xx, AMD Radeon HD 7xxx and higher
- AMD Navi Vega 20 Support coming in the future
- Still No Nvidia Graphic Drivers available, natively supported cards still work NVIDIA 6xx and 7xx ‘Kepler’
- Non-Metal supported GPUs can no longer render using OpenGL as a fallback so its recommended that those who rely on their GPU for certain macOS apps update their graphics card to a Metal supported card if they want to use Catalina.
- Changes to AirPortBrcm4360.kext may require it to be forceloaded to get certain non-apple WiFi cards to work.
- Changes to EC can cause issues booting and running Catalina requires either disabling AppleACPIEC, using a fake EC, or renaming EC under DSDT -> Patches in config.plist.
- Catalina require a new patch to increase the USB port limit see: Catalina 10.15.0 USB Patch
Install Catalina 10.15.0 Now or Wait until 10.15.1?
Like any new version of macOS there are going to be a bunch of bugs initially so if you plan to install Catalina instead of waiting make sure you make a backup of your drive just in case your need to roll back to Mojave. I also recommend creating a Catalina USB installer to see if you can even boot Catelina without making changes to your EFI as some motherboards will have issues with EC and can cause hanging when trying to boot the installer.