With the Gigabyte GA-Z270MX-Gaming 5, I created my very own highend 2017 Mac Pro with the coolest looking case from Phanteks, the Ethoo Evolv Tempered Glass mATX Case. It’s smaller footprint compared to normal sized cases is why I went with the GA-Z270MX-Gaming 5 motherboard along with it being one of ahte coolest looking motherboards available for Kabylake.
|CPU||Intel Core i7-7700K Quad-Core Processor||$329.99|
|CPU Cooler||be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3||$59.99|
|Motherboard||Gigabyte GA-Z270MX-Gaming 5 Motherboard||$159.99|
|Memory||Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory||$209.99|
|Storage||Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA SSD||$169.99|
|Video Card||EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW2 GAMING||$429.99|
|Power Supply||Corsair RM650x, 650W Fully Modular Power Supply||$115.99|
|Case||Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX Tempered Glass||$129.99|
- USB-C Port
- USB3 Speeds
- Nvidia HDMI Audio
- Nvidia Graphics Card
- Nvidia GFX Sleep/Wake
- App Store, iBooks, iMessage
- HD530/HD630 Sleep/Wake
This is a simple copy paste guide to getting a working GA-Z270MX-Gaming 5 Hackintosh Build. I prepared the EFI Folder for you all you have to do is replace the one created with Clover with the one I made this will enable you to install macOS on this motherboard and have working sleep, graphics, sound & ethernet.
I wrote a previous build guide on the Gigabyte ultra durable series GA-Z270M-D3H Hackintosh Guide. The higher end series boards use a better audio chipset the new ALC1220, which has better sound quality than it’s predecessors the ALC892 and ALC1150.
This hackintosh build guide can be used for most of Gigabyte’s Gaming 200 series motherboards and was tested using Sierra 10.12.4. Sleep/Wake, Graphics, Ethernet and Sound all work without any issue with this hackintosh build guide. Let’s turn your own into a high end Mac Pro hackintosh.
This guide was made for Sierra 10.12.6. If you are installing High Sierra 13.x follow the High Sierra Guide instead or follow this guide update the kexts once you download the EFI folder in step 3.
If you follow the High Sierra Guide you can use the BIOS settings from this page below to quickly find what you need to change when you get to that step.
Step 1: Create MacOS Bootloader
To install macOS Sierra you will need a macOS Clover Bootloader. To create one follow the How-to Make a Clover Hackintosh Bootloader guide.
Step 2: Transfer GA-Z270MX-Gaming 5 EFI
Your EFI Folder should have been mounted after installing Clover EFI Bootloader onto your flash drive if you accidentally dismounted it follow these steps:
- Download Clover Configurator
- Open Clover Configurator
- Select Mount EFI under TOOLS
- Click Mount Partition for Install macOS….
- Click Open Partition (This is your EFI Folder)
This is the part where the EFI Folder created with clover is replaced with the hackintosher.com GA-Z270MX Gaming 5 version.
- Delete the folder called EFI in your mounted partition
- Download hackintosher.com’s Hackintosher.com GA-Z270MX Gaming 5 EFI.zip
- Unzip GA-Z270MX Gaming 5 EFI
- Copy the unzipped EFI folder
- Paste the copied EFI at at /Volumes/EFI (The location you deleted your EFI Folder in step 1)
Most people will be using this motherboard with a seperate graphics card, however for those who want to use the integrated intel iGPU they will need to change the default config.plist to the iGPU version. Follow these steps only if you arn’t using a dedicated graphics card and instead relying on using the Intel integrated HD530/HD630.
- Navigate to EFI/CLOVER/
- Rename config.plist to config-GFX.plist
- Rename config-iGPU.plist to config.plist
STEP 3: Configuring the BIOS
Now that the boot partition has been configured we must change some BIOS features on/off to get Mac OS running optimally on a hackintosh. Some of these settings will already be set correctly, however we want to verify all of them are correct. Recommended: Updating to the latest BIOS available
Restart the computer and rapidly press the DEL key on your keyboard to enter the BIOS.
Change the following settings:
- Save & Exit → Load Optimized Defaults
- M.I.T. → Advanced Memory Settings Extreme Memory Profile(X.M.P.) : Profile1
- BIOS → Fast Boot : Disabled
- BIOS → Windows 8/10 Features : Other OS
- BIOS → LAN PXE Boot Option ROM : Disabled
- BIOS → Storage Boot Option Control : UEFI
- Peripherals → Super IO Configuration → Serial Port : Disabled
- Peripherals → Network Stack Configuration → Network Stack : Disabled
- Peripherals → USB Configuration → XHCI Hand-off : Enabled
- Chipset → Vt-d : Disabled
- Chipset → IOAPIC 24-119 Entries : Enabled
Based on the GPU you’re using change the following settings:
Dedicated graphics card:
- Peripherals → Initial Display Output : PCIe 1 Slot
- Chipset → Integrated Graphics : Disabled
- Peripherals → Initial Display Output : IGFX
- Chipset → Integrated Graphics : Enabled
- Chipset → DVMT Pre-Allocated : 96M (if this setting isn’t showing then: 1. Set Integrated Graphics: Enabled. 2. Save and Exit BIOS by pressing F10. 3. Reenter BIOS upon computer restart and it should be there.
Setting Boot Priority:
You’ll be booting form your USB flash drive until clover is installed onto your boot disk in Step 7. Therefore it will need to be set as the primary boot device until that happens.
You must boot using your USB flash drive until an EFI folder is created for your Boot Disk. Therefore your flash drive will either need to be launched as a temporary boot device or set as Boot Option #1 in BIOS.
- BIOS → Boot Option #1: UEFI : XXX, Partition 1 (For example I used a SanDisk flash drive so I would select the option with UEFI: Sandisk, Partition 1 as seen in the image below.)
- Press F10 to Save and Exit the BIOS
STEP 4: Installing Sierra
The next step is to install macOS and transfering the EFI boot partition of your flash drive to your disk drive.
Follow the general Installation Guide then return to this guide when done if you have never installed macOS with Clover before.
STEP 5: Nvidia Graphics
If using a compatible graphics card then you will need to install Nvidia Web Drivers to fix all the graphical issues. If you do not know how to install a graphics card on a hackintosh read the Nvidia Graphics Guide
GA-Z270MX-Gaming 5 EFI Build Notes:
Bootloader – Clover_r4061 settings:
- Install for UEFI Booting Only
- Install Clover in the ESP
- Emuefivariable.efi – Used for NVRAM/Graphics Detection
- To fix occasional restarts instead of shutting down on any gigabyte motherboard the fix in config.plist by setting FixShutdown_0004 in apci under fixes.
- Boot – FakeSMC.kext
- Sound – AppleALC.kext v.1.1.0 with Audio Inject: 11 & Lilu.kext v.1.0.0 – This motherboard uses ALC1220 was gotten working using AppleALC.kext and Lilu.kext with Audio Inject: 11, beware the latest versions of AppleALC.kext and Lilu.kext for they will break video playback and sound. If using either of the kexts stick to the version used in the EFI Folder which is AppleALC.kext v.1.1.0 & Lilu.kext v.1.0.0 released on Feb. 22 2017, until the developer of these kexts fixes these issues. If you are followign this guide with a motherboard that has ALC1150 or ALC892 then you need to change the Devices > Audio Inject to 1, which can be set in the config.plist of your EFI/CLOVER folder using Clover Configurator.
- Ethernet – AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext (This motherboard uses Killer E2500 LAN chipset)
- USB 3.0 – XHCI-200-series-injector.kext
- Graphics – Nvidia Web Drivers
- iMac 17,1 SMBIOS – Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext