Since there hasn’t been a Mac Mini update in years I thought I would make this quick guide on how to get a “New Mac Mini” where you can add up to 16GB of ram and as big of a 2.5″ SSD/HDD you can find while saving a couple hundred dollars in the process. The processor in this NUC is the same one found in a specced out 2015-MacBook Pro 13 @ $1599 (3.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz). This NUC is one third the cost same performance. Audio, sleep, ethernet, HDMI and are all working with this build.
|NUC||Intel NUC Kit NUC5i7RYH||$449.99|
|Memory||Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory||$49.99|
|Storage||PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5″ Solid State Drive||$49.99|
- HDMI Audio
- Sleep and Wake
- Power Saving Features
- Graphics Acceleration
- App Store, iMessage, iBooks
- Some 4k Monitors
- SD Card Slot
STEP 1: Creating a USB Installer
In order to install macOS on your computer you need to create USB flash drive installer. You can learn how to make one in our with our Bootloader Guide
STEP 2: Mounting Bootloader EFI
If the EFI of your USB bootloader isn’t mounted follow the steps below. We need to paste the edited EFI Folder you downloaded above into that location.
- Open Clover Configurator
- Select Mount EFI under TOOLS
- Click Mount Partition for Install macOS…. EFI or the name of your bootloader installer
- Click Open Partition
- Delete EFI folder if it exists
- Replace the deleted folder with the folder contained in NUC5i7RYH – EFI
STEP 3: Entering BIOS
Before the NUC can be booted with the usb installer certain BIOS settings must be changed.
- Restart or power on the NUC if off
- Press F2 upon the splash screen showing to enter the BIOS
- After you enter the BIOS select Advanced(F7)
STEP 4: Configuring the BIOS
Change the following settings:
- Devices ⤏ Video Set → IGD Minimum Memory to 64MB Note: Use 128MB if your monitor boots with a black screen
- Boot ⤏ Boot Priority → Verify UEFI Booting is checked
- Boot > Boot Priority → Uncheck Legacy Booting (You can recheck it after installing if you intend to dual boot windows)
- Boot > Secure Boot → Uncheck Secure Boot
- Power → Verify Wake on LAN from S4/S5 is unchecked
- All changes have been made Press F10 to Save and Exit the BIOS
STEP 4: Installing MAC OSX
Follow STEPS 2, 3 and 4 of our general Installation Guide if you have never went through the installation process of a hackintosh before. If you have just follow STEP 4 after you install macOS which is basically just pasting the EFI from the USB Drive to the EFI of the disk that macOS is installed on which will enable you too boot into macOS without the USB Drive.
After completing the steps above the only thing that shouldn’t be working just yet is the audio.
In order to get audio through the front audio port and hdmi audio functioning the audio must be patched. This step requires a connection to the internet.
Gatekeeper must be disabled to patch the audio properly. Open Terminal and type the following below and press enter:
sudo spctl --master-disable
Download the audio patcher audio_cloverALC.zip
Enter your password and go through the steps entering
y for every step.
The script will then proceed to patch your audio. If successful the completed text should look like this.
Restart your machine and you should have audio.
You can select your audio output device by opening the Settings app and going to Sound > Output. Also recommend that you select ‘Show volume in menu bar’ for quick access.