Doughbro

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte GA-Z270M-D3H
CPU
I7-7700k
GPU
Nvidia GTX 1070
@Edhawk Thank you so much for helping me get my previous dual-booting Win 10 + MacOS High Sierra Hackintosh working!

That was a proof of concept and its still working incredibly. My goal now is to up the ante and build an all out video editing monster Hackintosh from scratch. Since I haven't bought any parts yet, I wanted to seek your sage advice again before I start shopping. My goal is to boot Catalina and maintain upgrade compatibility for as long as possible. With that in mind here is my parts list (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nnLWvW). The key components are as follows:

MOBO: Gigabyte Z390 Designware
CPU: Intel i9-9900k
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB
BOOT SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2

Are there any known issues with any of these components in terms of hackintoshing? Would you recommend something different in terms of compatibility or performance? From my light reading I've heard rumors that AMD route in processor would be a bad choice but that intel graphics are no longer supported past High Sierra? Also heard that if I went this route I am aware that the onboard wifi of the Z390 Designware wouldn't work and there might be drive speed issues and sleep issues? Any truth to some of that? What do you or other knowledgeable Hackintoshers recommend?

I haven't decided if I want to dual boot yet or not. That board supports two m.2 drives so if I do I plan to have each OS on a different 970 EVO. I haven't had any issues dual booting my High Sierra build yet... .

Thanks for all your help, you're an absolute legend!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Your main component list is OK, it is not the latest as Intel have recently released the 10-series CPU and new Z490 motherboard's chipset. However, it is known to work with macOS.

All I would recommend is that you check is to see if the RAM you have selected is on the Supported List, a copy of the memory support list is attached below. Search the list for compatible 32GB memory before you purchase the pair of G.Skill sticks.

If you want you really boost your system and take it to the next level you can add a gigabyte Titan Ridge Thunderbolt card to this system and use Thunderbolt 3 devices for storage etc. - https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GC-...d=1591692279&sprefix=Titan+Rid,aps,199&sr=8-1

There is a small caveat with the setup of the Thunderbolt card, in that the firmware needs to be updated in a Windows OS, before it will work correctly in macOS. No idea why but that is the process you would need to follow.

Intel IGPU's are fully supported in all modern versions of macOS. You are I think confused with the fact that most Nvidia discrete graphics cards are no longer supported, not beyond macOS High Sierra with the last version of the Nvidia Web Drivers. The exception to this being the old Kepler series of cards, which Apple still natively support, even in macOS Catalina. We are not sure how much longer this will continue.

Do not go with an on-board WiFi/BT card. The CNVi connector on the Z390 Designare motherboard is known to be problematic in macOS and needs to be disabled with an SSDT. If you want all of Apple's WiFi/BT features such as Handoff, Continuity, AirDrop and SideCar then you need to add a PCIe WiFi/BT card to your list. The best cards are original Apple WiFi/BT cards mounted on a PCIe adapter. Adapter Card - https://www.amazon.com/Timack-Hacki...836&sprefix=pcie+wifi+card+Ha,aps,202&sr=8-13, with either of these Apple WiFi/BT cards installed to the adapter - BCM94360CS2 or BCM943602CS.

The next best is a Fenvi T919 card - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BJ97YJ/fenvi-fv-t919-none-wi-fi-adapter-fv-t919

Dual booting from two M.2 NVMe drives will not be an issue. Just remember that the Windows installation would need to be on a GPT drive, in UEFI Mode no the standard MBR/Legacy mode that Windows installers tend to default to when installing Windows 10.

AMD is not a bad choice, just one that is really not supported by Apple. With the new developments in the OpenCore boot loader using AMD Ryzen systems has become much easier as you no longer need a patched kernel. They are not as easy to hack as Intel Systems even though they are much easier than they were prior to the development of OpenCore.

Attachments

Doughbro

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte GA-Z270M-D3H
CPU
I7-7700k
GPU
Nvidia GTX 1070
(1) Thanks for the feedback! So if I'm looking for optimal graphics performance, iGPU wouldn't be very useful for me and I would be relying on dGPU I'm assuming. In that case, what dedicated card would you recommend to get the best performance and limited compatibility issues?

(2) I was looking at going 10th gen with a z490 board and i9-10900k (similar to this one https://github.com/SchmockLord/Hackintosh-Intel-i9-10900k-Gigabyte-Z490-Vision-D) but figured the performance increase wouldn't outweigh the price increase or the questionable compatibility compared to the numerous proven builds on Z390. Is this wrong, would you recommend going z490? The onboard wifi is unimportant to me, just a potential conflict I was aware of.

(3) From what I had read, I'm afraid I won't be able to get an AMD Ryzen board working properly with my limited experience. However, I just recently read that Mac won't be using Intel much longer either... (https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/09/apple-reportedly-to-switch-from-intel-processors-in-macs.html) If you could see into the future would you build an AMD or Intel based Hackintosh now with best hopes for future compatibility?

I really do appreciate your advice, I'll make sure to pitch in some beer money as I piece this thing together @Edhawk

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
  1. Yes you need a discrete graphics card. I would currently recommend an AMD RX5700 XT graphics card.
    • The card is compatible with macOS and new enough to provide some future proofing.
  2. I would go with the Z390 motherboard and i9-9900K.
    • It is a couple of years older, most of the issues have been discovered and resolved. There are a number of really good guides online that will get this system working at its best.
    • The pathway to a solid Hackintosh is known. This is more important than the less than 10% increase in maximum processing power you would gain from the i9-10900K CPU.
    • Intel Hacks are easier to setup (in my opinion).
    • The development of OpenCore has taken the AMD hack on leaps and bounds compared to where it was a few years ago, when a patched kernel was required. I do not know if they are fit for a production environment. Whereas I know the Intel system/hacks are solid enough for production use.
    • You are not gaining the new PCIe 4.0 standard with the Intel Z490 series of motherboards, which if it had been included by Intel in the Chipset design would have made full use of the AMD RX 5700 XT cards capabilities.
    • This new graphics standard is only available on the X500 series AMD motherboards. If the Z490 boards had included the newer PCIe 4.0 standard I would have recommended you go with the Z490 setup.
  3. The report you linked is not currently worth the paper it is written on. It is hearsay, with no facts or substance, basically a rehash of a lot of other Apple CPU rumours.
    • Apple may move to a different CPU.
    • What they will also do is support their current iMac's, MacBook's and the new Intel based Mac Pro's for the foreseeable future.
    • The current board at Apple are not as driven as Steve Jobs was when he instigated the PowerMac to Intel switch. The new board are less risk adverse to my mind.
My thoughts on a build for you would be as you initially suggested in post #1. It was a good selection.

Hope this helps.

Doughbro

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte GA-Z270M-D3H
CPU
I7-7700k
GPU
Nvidia GTX 1070
@Edhawk I appreciate all your feedback! The build I decided to go with is:

MOBO: Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU: i9-9900k
GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT
I also plan to boot with OpenCore as I've heard its more efficient these days.

I had two questions:
1) If I am dual booting on separate m.2 drives, does it matter which I do first? Just from a BIOS settings perspective I guess? I plan on disconnecting the other as I do each install.
2) If I do the Fenvi T919 card versus the native mac card adapted via PCIe, does that mean I will be able to use it in both Windows and Mac or am I better off using the mobo's native bluetooth and wifi instead of the pcie card?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Here is a guide for dual booting macOS and Windows on separate drives, its a little old now but the process is still good. All that is different is you would now format the macOS drive as APFS not HFS+ - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi-on-separate-drives.198869/

You would be able to use the Fenvi card or an Apple card in both Windows and macOS. I use my Broadcom Apple cards in my dual boot systems. All that is required is the correct drivers for Windows, which can be obtained from Apple's BootCamp wizard in any recent version of macOS. I have attached the Windows 10 drivers for an Apple WiFi/BT card, these drivers were taken from the BootCamp 6 WinPEDrivers (BT) and Bootcamp/Drivers/Broadcom (WiFi). With the Apple card installed and the Bluetooth cable connected just run the two installers and Windows 10 will install the necessary drivers.

You won't be able to use the built-in WiFi/BT card in macOS. The CNVI port doesn't function correctly in macOS and needs to be disabled to prevent it causing unnecessary issues. The SSDT used to disable the CNVI port is attached below.

Attachments

Doughbro

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte GA-Z270M-D3H
CPU
I7-7700k
GPU
Nvidia GTX 1070
Well after some backordered parts the build has commenced. I am using OpenCore 0.5.9 following their guide at https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/

After comparing my EFI, drivers, and kexts with other successful builds I don't see any major differences. (I was unsure if I should include the USBMAP Kext) However, I get some sort of kernel panic attempting the install to the external drive before I can even attempt installation. My EFI and error text are attached. My only guess is I generated my SSDTs using SSDTTime instead of using the prebuilt ones because I wanted it to be less bloated (might have run into an issue with this since I'm on a Z390 board?)

Any help is appreciated @Edhawk !

Attachments

Doughbro

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte GA-Z270M-D3H
CPU
I7-7700k
GPU
Nvidia GTX 1070
I swapped out the SSDTs with prebuilt ones from Open Core guide and clean-snapshotted my config.plist and it still threw a panic at the same place. It appears to be something with ACPI and CPU memory panic. I'm not sure how useful the .txt files generated after are to you but here is the new one.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The SSDT's created using Corpnewt's SSDTTime script would be better than the pre-built ones, as they would be specific to your system, as they are based on your specific boards DSDT.

I will have a look at the EFI folder and two log's and see what I can suggest, probably nothing forthcoming till tomorrow, as I am about to go out for a walk with my wife and I am not sure if I will get back to this before tomorrow.

Doughbro

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte GA-Z270M-D3H
CPU
I7-7700k
GPU
Nvidia GTX 1070
No worries, thank you so much, look forward to hearing from you! I'll continue to troubleshoot as well.

Latest posts