APFS Module Start 1689 hanging OpenCore

Mobo
Asus Prime Z590-A
CPU
i7 10700k
GPU
Radeon 6700XT
So as the title says while in verbose mode it hangs on this particular error. I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong here with OpenCore. I've tried to rebuild my SSDT's twice and even attempting to use Premade ones. Rebuilt the OpenCore EFI twice. I'm at a loss here for what I need to do. I've even updated the firmware to my Samsung EVO NVME. To add I also have a Sandisk M.2 drive installed as well that I was hoping to install MacOS Catilina on. I'm including a screenshot and my Config.plist. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'll answer any questions you may have about what I'm apparently doing wrong here.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
You know of course that your RX 6700 XT is not supported in macOS.

The RX 6900, RX6800 and RX6600 series are all supported in at least one version of macOS, but not the RX6700 series.

You can disable your RX6700 XT and just use your 10-series Intel iGPU for macOS.

Which version of OpenCore are you using?
Which version of macOS are you installing?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Some pointers for you to address:
  1. You shouldn't need SSDT-PMC.aml with your Z590 board, I think that is required for Coffee Lake Z390 & some Comet Lake Z490 boards.
  2. I'm not sure you need SSDT-USB-Reset.aml with your setup.
  3. You probably need the SSDT-EC-USBX.aml or the SSDT's as separate tables. SSDT-EC.aml on its own leaves your system without any USB power settings.
  4. You probably need to add SSDT-RHUB.aml to your setup, help fix your USB configuration.
    1. Copies of the pre-built SSDT's are attached below.
  5. Your DeviceProperties for the IGPU are a mess,
    1. Remove the one that doesn't work.
  6. You should not need Legacy_USB3.kext.
  7. You do not need VoodooPS2Controller.kext, or any of the plugins within this kext. This is a laptop specific kext.
  8. IntelMausi.kext will not work with your Intel I225-V 2.5Gb Ethernet, you already have the Device Properties patch for this device, so it should work with Apples i255-LM kext.
    1. You also have a Kernel Patch enabled for this Ethernet device.
    2. At least you don't have the boot argument added too!

Attachments

Mobo
Asus Prime Z590-A
CPU
i7 10700k
GPU
Radeon 6700XT
I am using OpenCore 7.7 and was trying to install Catalina. I did attempt Monterey, but that out right would not work dues to a different error about PC not supported so I thought to try an older version the upgrade later once installed. A shame about my 6700xt not being supported though. I use that as my primary driver for Windows 11

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Post a copy of your EFI folder, I can have a look to see what needs changing to install macOS Catalina on your system with your Comet Lake CPU/IGPU.

Mobo
Asus Prime Z590-A
CPU
i7 10700k
GPU
Radeon 6700XT
Had to remove what was needed for me to compress and send this properly just to warn. Also thank you for taking the time to look at this for me. It's greatly appreciated

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I am absolutely gob-smack'd, I have never see such an over-populated /OC/Kexts folder, ever!!!!

Suffice to say I am not surprised you couldn't boot your system with your current EFI folder.

I have created an OpenCore EFI folder for you to try with your Comet Lake CPU/IGPU.

You need to make sure your have the IGPU enabled and set in your bios as shown below. Along with these other bios settings:

Change the following settings:
  1. Virtualization : Enabled
  2. VT-d : Disabled
  3. XHCI Hand-Off : Enabled
  4. Legacy USB Support: Auto/Enabled
  5. IO SerialPort : Disabled
  6. Network Stack : Disabled
  7. XMP Profile : Auto / Profile 1/Enabled
  8. UEFI Booting set to Enabled and set Priority over Legacy
  9. Secure Boot : Disabled
  10. Fast Boot : Disabled
  11. OS Type: Other OS
  12. Wake on LAN : Disabled
Intel iGPU:
  1. Integrated Graphics : Enabled
  2. Graphics: IGD/Integrated/iGPU/CPU Graphics
  3. DVMT Pre-Allocated : 128M or higher
The OpenCore EFI has been created based on the specifications for your motherboard from this Asus page - https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-Z590-A/techspec/

I have included the framebuffer for your IGPU to drive a display, so your display needs to be connected via DisplayPort or HDMI connector from your motherboard. Preferably the DisplayPort connector, if your display supports this connection type.

The OC EFI has been created using OC 0.7.7 and ocvalidate gives the config.plist a good bill of health.

Copy the whole EFI folder below to the EFI partition on your USB installer.

This config is set todisplay the OC GUI not the picker list, which should be easier to use.
  1. When you get to the OC boot screen, press the spacebar. This will display some additional icons.
  2. Select the ClearNvram.efi icon, then the ResetSystem.efi icon. This will remove any previous data held in the System NVRAM, so you are starting from fresh.
See how this works, if you get a kernel panic take a photo of the verbose text and post a copy here. So I can see what needs editing to better suit your system.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
How many Memory modules do you have installed in your system?

If you have more than one can you remove them all, bar one, which needs to be installed as in slot A2, as shown below.

Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 15.21.30.png Memory installation for Asus Prime Z590-A motherboard

You can add any others back in once macOS has been installed, again following the guidance in the screenshot above.

Mobo
Asus Prime Z590-A
CPU
i7 10700k
GPU
Radeon 6700XT
Tried using slot A2 with a single RAM stick and system will not POST. After reinstalling RAM to previous slots being B1 and B2 Post was normal, but recived the same error when trying MacOS install.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Did you try both Sticks in the A2 slot, before reverting to your previous setup?
Did you try each Stick in any of the other slots, to see if the system boots with a single RAM stick?

The screenshot you provided above in post #8 contains text that leads me to believe you have an issue booting with both RAM sticks present. The normal solution is to boot with a single stick of RAM. Then when macOS is installed add the other RAM modules back in.

Over to you to see about testing both RAM modules in each slot, one at a time. This testing may show that a particular slot or stick of RAM are not compatible and possibly defective.

The page from your motherboard's manual attached above in post #9 shows how Asus expect you to populate the RAM slots, to make the best of the number of sticks of RAM you have available.

Mobo
Asus Prime Z590-A
CPU
i7 10700k
GPU
Radeon 6700XT
When testing your solution I tried both sticks I had on hand and in either case the system would not POST. The reason I don't use A1 and A2 currently is becuase I use an NZXT Kraken AIO so RAM slot A1 is obstructed for me so I use B1 and B2.

Mobo
Asus Prime Z590-A
CPU
i7 10700k
GPU
Radeon 6700XT
Ok did some further work on this. I re positioned my AIO in order to test slots A1 and A2 both populated with my RAM slots. Would not post no matter if I swapped or used individually. Seems like there is an issue I wasn't even aware of

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Check to see if your Memory sticks are on the Asus QVL for your motherboard - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-Z590-A/HelpDesk_QVL_Memory/

This is Asus's take on memory installation:
  • When installing a memory kit, please adhere to the DIMM slot priority cited in the Memory installation section of the product manual.
  • Please ensure all memory modules are from a single validated kit. Do not combine DIMMs from multiple kits—even if they are the same make and model. Mixing and matching DIMMs can result in failure to boot and compatibility cannot be guaranteed.
  • The stability and compatibility of XMP memory kits that operate beyond the JEDEC standard is not guaranteed because it can be affected by the capabilities of the CPU’s integrated memory controller, installed devices, and the operating frequency of associated bus domains.
  • Always install DIMMs with the same CAS latency. For optimal compatibility, we recommend that you install memory modules of the same version or date code (D/C) from the same vendor. Check with the retailer to get the correct memory modules.
  • The default DIMM frequency depends on its Serial Presence Detect (SPD), which is the standard way of accessing information from a memory module. Under the default state, some memory modules for overclocking may operate at a lower frequency than the vendor-marked value. To set the rated speed of the kit, please select XMP(Intel)/D.O.C.P(AMD) or apply manual settings.

Mobo
Asus Prime Z590-A
CPU
i7 10700k
GPU
Radeon 6700XT
Checked the link and could not find cmw32gx4m2d3600c18 version of RAM that I currently use listed. Strange that they work fine in the B1 B2 slots but not A slots.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Check your bios memory settings to see if anything is amiss with the A1 & A2 slots.

You might be best served setting the Bios to Optimised Defaults, to clear any misconfigured settings.

Then you need to reset the bios to work with macOS, using these settings.

Disable
  • Fast Boot
  • Secure Boot
  • Serial/COM Port
  • Parallel Port
  • VT-d (can be enabled if you set DisableIoMapper to YES)
  • CSM
  • Thunderbolt(For initial install, as Thunderbolt can cause issues if not setup correctly)
  • Intel SGX
  • Intel Platform Trust
  • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection) (This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel > Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled)
Enable
  • VT-x
  • Above 4G decoding
    • 2020+ BIOS Notes: When enabling Above4G, Resizable BAR Support may become available on some Z490 and newer motherboards. Please ensure this is Disabled instead of set to Auto.
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB
  • SATA Mode: AHCI
Then see if either RAM module works in the A1 or A2 slots.

Mobo
Asus Prime Z590-A
CPU
i7 10700k
GPU
Radeon 6700XT
Followed these instructions and tried the slots once again and still receives the error as before.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Maybe you have a defective motherboard, if the two slots are totally unresponsive? It points more towards the board being the issue if both RAM sticks work together and individually in the two B slots.

Is the motherboard new and are you still within time to look to RMA the board, with however you bought it from?

Or maybe you need to see what Asus Support have to offer in the way of explaining this issue.

Asus are likely to point to the fact you are not using RAM from their QVL as part of the reason. But to be honest that will be rubbish, if the RAM sticks work in two slots but not the other two it will be an issue with the motherboard, not the RAM.

Mobo
Asus Prime Z590-A
CPU
i7 10700k
GPU
Radeon 6700XT
I'm sure Asus will say the same, I purchased this as an "Open Box" from ebay. The only reason I never even used the A slots was I am use an AIO with the water hoses obstruct those slots so never felt the need to use them. Had you never suggested to be to try them before I'd have never known there was an issue with the motherboard and the fact that my RAM chips work fine in the B slots does rule them out as the point of failure here. Regradless of this result your dedication to helping me with this hackintosh has been top tier. I'll be sending a donation for your effort. Thank you again for all your assistance here. I'll look into getting a replacement motherboard in the future. Seeing as this is the only PC I have I cant really send it off to be replace or repaired and have no system at all.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Ok, I'm sorry I couldn't help more.

As a last resort I would suggest creating a CLOVER EFI for your system. Clover allows you to 'Map' the memory in your system, which might help in your case. It was used to get over a specific kernel panic a couple of years ago when Catalina was first released. Here is a link to the Memory map guide - https://hackintosher.com/forums/thr...slots-on-a-hackintosh-with-clover-smbios.365/

I will see what I can do about converting your OC to a CLOVER setup, which you can then edit to Map your memory modules.

I really appreciate the donation, thank you.