arena

Mobo
ASRock z370 Extreme4
CPU
i7-8700K
GPU
Intel 630
Hi Guys,

I really tried everything with this Mobo, but installation doesn't work. Can somebody share the EFI folder?

i7-8700K - using integrated GPU

What I did so far using hackintosher guide:

- BIOS version downgraded to 1.60 due to USB error
- usb installer according to the guide

Clover does not recognize the mac os installer at all. No install option on the startup screen. I adjusted some setttings then I was able to start the installation but I got green/pink color during it, then black screen. Now, I need to reset because bios doesn't appear, no boot at all.

Getting fedup with this Mobo, should I return it and get a gigabyte instead?

Or can someone help me? I would be really appreciated! (I can offer a beer :) )

Thanks!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
Post a copy of your Clover folder for us to have a look at.

Confirm how have you created the macOS install media you are using and what version of macOS are you looking to install?

Which version of clover are you using and what customisations did you select when installing clover to the usb boot drive?

arena

Mobo
ASRock z370 Extreme4
CPU
i7-8700K
GPU
Intel 630
Post a copy of your Clover folder for us to have a look at.

Confirm how have you created the macOS install media you are using and what version of macOS are you looking to install?

Which version of clover are you using and what customisations did you select when installing clover to the usb boot drive?
Thanks Edhawk. I used exactly the same like this:
https://hackintosher.com/builds/asrock-z370-extreme4-pro4-hackintosh-high-sierra-guide/

The only modification is to use mojave instead of High Sierra. (I don't know it can be an issue or not)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
Me reading and following that guide is not the same as you doing the same. Pointing to a guide doesn't tell me anything, you may have not followed all the steps successfully.

While the move from High Sierra to Mojave requires a few minor tweaks the majority of the guide you followed should still work for a Mojave installation.

I have downloaded a copy of the EFI folder Hackintosher posted and made some amendments to the folders contents, specifically the config.plist and kext folder, see the attached Asrock Z370 EFI.zip.

I am assuming the following:
  1. You have successfully downloaded and installed macOS Mojave (10.14.1 or 10.14.2) to your HFS+ formatted USB boot drive;
  2. You have installed the latest version of Clover to the EFI partition on the USB boot drive.
  3. You can access the EFI partition to change reconfigure the EFI folder.
That being the case then using the EFI folder I have provided, in place of the one you previously used, should get you booting with as little fuss as can be had when installing macOS to a Hack.

If the above assumptions are not correct you will not be any better off unfortunately.

Attachments

arena

Mobo
ASRock z370 Extreme4
CPU
i7-8700K
GPU
Intel 630
Me reading and following that guide is not the same as you doing the same. Pointing to a guide doesn't tell me anything, you may have not followed all the steps successfully.

While the move from High Sierra to Mojave requires a few minor tweaks the majority of the guide you followed should still work for a Mojave installation.

I have downloaded a copy of the EFI folder Hackintosher posted and made some amendments to the folders contents, specifically the config.plist and kext folder, see the attached Asrock Z370 EFI.zip.

I am assuming the following:
  1. You have successfully downloaded and installed macOS Mojave (10.14.1 or 10.14.2) to your HFS+ formatted USB boot drive;
  2. You have installed the latest version of Clover to the EFI partition on the USB boot drive.
  3. You can access the EFI partition to change reconfigure the EFI folder.
That being the case then using the EFI folder I have provided, in place of the one you previously used, should get you booting with as little fuss as can be had when installing macOS to a Hack.

If the above assumptions are not correct you will not be any better off unfortunately.
All of your assumption is right. (1. and 2.) In case of 3., I used clover configurator to mount it, then just deleted and replaced the EFI folder what I found on the link I posted. Then, the clover didn't give me the option to initiate the install.

I will take a look on your EFI. Replacement would be enough right?

Thank you,

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
I assume you have made sure the drive you plan to install macOS on is correctly installed and has been selected as the first internal disk in your bios.

It is possible you may have selected a customisation that isn't required, when installing Clover to the USB.

These are screenshots of the Clover customisations I have just used when upgrading Clover on my High Sierra drive. I would select the same items for a USB boot drive for Mojave, except I would omit the RC script option on the third screenshot.

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 21.47.12.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 21.48.57.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 21.49.14.png

I use HFSPlus-64.efi instead of the VBoxHFS-64 driver option provided by Clover. A carry over from when VBoxHFS was problematic.

The screenshot below shows the Tree for my working EFI folder. The only thing that is unnecessary is the additional config_142.plist, which is a hangover from when I used the iMac 14.2 smbios.

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 21.54.39.png

If you use the three clover screenshots as a reference, and have a similar Tree for your EFI folder as the one above then you should have a bootable USB drive.

arena

Mobo
ASRock z370 Extreme4
CPU
i7-8700K
GPU
Intel 630
I assume you have made sure the drive you plan to install macOS on is correctly installed and has been selected as the first internal disk in your bios.

It is possible you may have selected a customisation that isn't required, when installing Clover to the USB.

These are screenshots of the Clover customisations I have just used when upgrading Clover on my High Sierra drive. I would select the same items for a USB boot drive for Mojave, except I would omit the RC script option on the third screenshot.

View attachment 1617

View attachment 1618

View attachment 1619

I use HFSPlus-64.efi instead of the VBoxHFS-64 driver option provided by Clover. A carry over from when VBoxHFS was problematic.

The screenshot below shows the Tree for my working EFI folder. The only thing that is unnecessary is the additional config_142.plist, which is a hangover from when I used the iMac 14.2 smbios.

View attachment 1620

If you use the three clover screenshots as a reference, and have a similar Tree for your EFI folder as the one above then you should have a bootable USB drive.
Thanks for your time and your assistance. Honestly I've never used that tool, only clover configurator then mount the EFI and that's it. I guess I'm lost totally. I copy pasted your EFI folder to my USB, but typical ASRock sh*t appeared, no mouse on the clover menu...

Do you have any idea why?

Btw, with Gigabyte mobo is easier to install, or all of them is such a pain in the .ss?

cavemann

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z97
CPU
Intel Core i3
GPU
nVidia GTX 750 Ti 2GB
Hi Guys,

I really tried everything with this Mobo, but installation doesn't work. Can somebody share the EFI folder?

i7-8700K - using integrated GPU

What I did so far using hackintosher guide:

- BIOS version downgraded to 1.60 due to USB error
- usb installer according to the guide

Clover does not recognize the mac os installer at all. No install option on the startup screen. I adjusted some setttings then I was able to start the installation but I got green/pink color during it, then black screen. Now, I need to reset because bios doesn't appear, no boot at all.

Getting fedup with this Mobo, should I return it and get a gigabyte instead?

Or can someone help me? I would be really appreciated! (I can offer a beer :) )

Thanks!
Dood,
I am totally fresh to this forum. I have been running dual boot win10 (10240)/macOS Sierra(10.12.4) + Clover for about 12 mnths, decided to upgrade to mojave yesterday, everthing went well, untill the big boot, no windows10, had to re-create win10 EFI partition, after that "bingo" all seems to be great, i'm a bit disappointed with the mac dark mode, it doesn't apply to all apps. i will try and help if i can..

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
caveman welcome to the thread.

No not all motherboards are equal. There is a reason why Gigabyte boards were preferred previously, and it was they were more OS X compatible than any other manufacturers board. The other manufacturers soon caught on to this fact and have over the last few years adapted their motherboards to be more compatible with OS X and macOS. But In my opinion they are still not as easy to Hack as a Gigabyte board, but that is just my opinion. Others will no doubt have found the opposite to be true.

cavemann

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z97
CPU
Intel Core i3
GPU
nVidia GTX 750 Ti 2GB
Ed, How much kit you got (WTF!), I have been a desktop/tech support engineer for 20 years, MSDST, MCSE, CCNA, worked with Windows 3/NT4 upto and including Windows10, never got involved with Mac's/Hackintosh's until 2 years ago, I like the way they work with things, would I be right in saying MacOS is based on BSD Linux? There's a lot of similarity's to Windows just different names, I've learned a lot in that time, installed 10.11, 10.12, 10.13, and now 10.14 (Hackintosh's of course), Vbox VM's, Kali Linux, windows is very flawed, I've been using Windows Insider Pre-release Windows 10 Build 10240 installed 2 years ago, much better than previous releases, Live Tiles really gets my goat though.
Sorry bud just rambling..
Tara!

cavemann

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z97
CPU
Intel Core i3
GPU
nVidia GTX 750 Ti 2GB
By the way the best installer i have found is from "Niresh" you've probably heard of him, I can give you the link if you wish..

arena

Mobo
ASRock z370 Extreme4
CPU
i7-8700K
GPU
Intel 630
caveman welcome to the thread.

No not all motherboards are equal. There is a reason why Gigabyte boards were preferred previously, and it was they were more OS X compatible than any other manufacturers board. The other manufacturers soon caught on to this fact and have over the last few years adapted their motherboards to be more compatible with OS X and macOS. But In my opinion they are still not as easy to Hack as a Gigabyte board, but that is just my opinion. Others will no doubt have found the opposite to be true.

Ed, do you have any idea how can I solve my usb problem? Regarding your comment, do you think Gigabyte is easier to hack? Which on do you recommend from z370 (i7-8700K)

Thanks!

cavemann

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z97
CPU
Intel Core i3
GPU
nVidia GTX 750 Ti 2GB
Ed, do you have any idea how can I solve my usb problem? Regarding your comment, do you think Gigabyte is easier to hack? Which on do you recommend from z370 (i7-8700K)

Thanks!
Jesus I'm getting confused with meself here.
Arena, Disable USB3 in your bios till after your install then sort it out, worked for me.

arena

Mobo
ASRock z370 Extreme4
CPU
i7-8700K
GPU
Intel 630
Jesus I'm getting confused with meself here.
Arena, Disable USB3 in your bios till after your install then sort it out, worked for me.
There is no any option with usb3.0 disable. just 8 ports with usb3 and 6 with usb. I tried to disable the 8 usb3, we will see... Thanks Dude!

arena

Mobo
ASRock z370 Extreme4
CPU
i7-8700K
GPU
Intel 630
There is no any option with usb3.0 disable. just 8 ports with usb3 and 6 with usb. I tried to disable the 8 usb3, we will see... Thanks Dude!
If I disable the usb, I am unable to use the keyword for bios. so reset is done, I'm back, but this crap still doesn't want to work :DD

cavemann

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z97
CPU
Intel Core i3
GPU
nVidia GTX 750 Ti 2GB
If I disable the usb, I am unable to use the keyword for bios. so reset is done, I'm back, but this crap still doesn't want to work :DD
In your BIOS - Advanced - USB Configuration
Legacy USB Support = Enabled
XHCI Hand-Off = Disabled
And try plugging your KBoard/Mouse into the 2 usb ports next to the purple/green ps2 ports.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
@ arena, Try caveman's suggestion of disabling the USB 3 in the bios and only using a USB 2 port for the installation drive.

One gigabyte board is generally as good as another, as long as it has the features you require. Most have too many, which we never use.

@ caveman, I have used Niresh's Distro route in the past, and I'm still a member of his site, but I have come to the conclusion that it is a dead end for the majority of users. I don't believe we will learn anything if someone else does the work behind closed doors for us. The vanilla install can be more painful, but is a better route in the long run, IMHO.

cavemann

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z97
CPU
Intel Core i3
GPU
nVidia GTX 750 Ti 2GB
Ed,
Re: Niresh comment. For those of us wanting to sample MacOS without shelling out for Mac hardware but don't really need to enter into a steep learning curve with Hack's it's an easier option. (Hopefully)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
It can be, but it doesn't make it the right/best route to sampling macOS.

Latest posts