macOS
Mobo
Asrock Z370 Pro4
CPU
Intel i5 8400
GPU
Radeon RX 580 4 GB
Hello everyone,

I have successfully used this site for many years to run my hackintosh (currently 10.15.7 / Clover).

I would like to set up the system once completely (because of a new hard disk) and upgrade to Big Sur. You can find my hardware information in the user info block.

Unfortunately this has been failing for several days. I have approached Opencore and read all the documentation and bugfixing. I currently end up with this error:

...AppleUSBXHCI::raiseOnePowerStateTo: host controller was not haltet, USBStatus 0x0000000000...

I guess a problem with EHCI, EC or port limitation, because this had to be patched with every release change. I think the USB stick is ejected at this point before the boot process is continued.

An alternative attempt with Clover r5126 did not work and the boot process stops as well.

Do any of you have a recommendation to upgrade my Hackintosh to BigSur with the components in my profile?
Use Clover or Opencore?

I would be very happy if someone can support me and give me good hints to continue.

I can provide my EFI Folder, when needed!

Attachments

nixnick

macOS
Mobo
Asrock Z370 Pro4
CPU
Intel i5 8400
GPU
Radeon RX 580 4 GB
Ok, I did it...OC and Z370 completely with BS 11.0.1. thanks for the attention :geek:

franco77

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Z370 Extreme 4
CPU
i7-8700K
GPU
AMD RX 5700 XT
Hi Nixnick, I do have a slightly different setup (AS Rock Z370 Extreme4, i7 8700K and AMD RX 5700 XT). Since the “disappearance” of Hackintosher I'm kind of an orphan. I had relied on his guide for every setup I made in the last few years.

Can you point me to some guide online that you have followed? I'm on 10.15.7/Clover and I would like an attempt at upgrading to Big Sur.

Thanks
F.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I would recommend the following:

Read the OC guide for the OpenCore pre-requisites, specifically the ACPI section - https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/prerequisites.html

Read and follow the OC Coffee Lake config.plist setup - https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/coffee-lake.html

Once you have an OpenCore EFI folder for your system, read and follow the Clover Conversion guide - https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Install-Guide/tree/master/clover-conversion

You are probably better off switching to OpenCore before you try to upgrade the OS.

You would be advised to create a Clone of your Catalina macOS drive, and to undertake the Big Sur upgrade on the Cloned drive. So your main drive is not messed up, if the upgrade goes wrong.

Carbon Copy Cloner works with Catalina and Big Sur so I would recommend that application over SuperDuper.

franco77

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Z370 Extreme 4
CPU
i7-8700K
GPU
AMD RX 5700 XT
Hi Edhawk,
thanks to the guides you linked I've managed to install Big Sur. It was very smooth I must say, except for the fact that I had to study a lot of stuff :D

I think that everything is running fine: wifi is working OOB, ethernet is working, power management is working, bluetooth is working. I don't need iMessage and other Apple ecosystem stuff, so I didn't studied that part.

What it bothers me the most is I can't get to make sleep work. I've done what's in the post install guide, but every time I try to put the rig to sleep, it immediately wakes up.

I have a supported GPU, I have mapped the USB ports, but it does not work.

Anyone here can point me to the right direction?

Thanks!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
First thing to do is to check that the USB ports have been set with the correct connector type in your USBPorts.kext. While the port names may be correct if the connector type is wrong the USBPorts.kext won't work correctly.
  • External USB 2 port - Connector type - USB2
  • Internal USB 2 Header - Connector type - Internal
  • External USB 3 port - Connector type - USB3 (including the USB2 virtual ports)
  • Internal USB 3 Header - Connector type - USB3
  • USB Type-C port/Header - Connector type - TypeC
This is the drop down menu from Hackintool, with the various connector types listed:

Screenshot 2021-04-13 at 17.51.30.png
Hackintool USB connector type options available for each port.

Also check that while you have the USBPorts.kext in your OC Kexts folder and named in your config.plist that you do not have any of the following enabled or present:
  1. SSDT-UIAC.aml
  2. USBInjectAll.kext - not required with USBPorts.kext
  3. XhciPortLimit quirk enabled in config.plist.
Your motherboard contains a number of USB ports and headers, these are a mixture of Intel Ports and Asmedia ports, as follows:

Intel USB ports/headers:
  • 3 x USB 2.0 Headers (Support 6 x USB2 ports)
  • 1 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Header (Supports 2 USB 3.1 Gen1 ports) (2 x USB2 & 2 x USB3 ports)
  • 4 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Ports (supports 8 USB ports) (4 x USB2 & 4 x USB3 ports)
15 of the 18 Intel USB ports available from your motherboard should be contained in the USBPorts.kext you created.

Asmedia USB ports/Headers:
  • 1 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Header (Supports 2 USB 3.1 Gen1 ports) (ASMedia ASM1074 hub)
  • 1 x Front Panel Type C USB 3.1 Gen1 Header (ASMedia ASM1074 hub)
  • 1 x USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-A Port (10 Gb/s) (ASMedia ASM3142)
  • 1 x USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C Port (10 Gb/s) (ASMedia ASM3142)
The Asmedia USB ports shouldn't be part of your USBPorts.kext. As I understand things, the ASM3142 ports are natively supported in macOS since the release of the iMac Pro.

I think the ASM1074 ports/hubs are supported but you need an SSDT to get them working correctly.

I know a X299 system uses both of these Asmedia USB controllers and they work using KPG's two SSDT's. You probably need to download, disassemble and edit these SSDT's to suit your ASRock system.

Screenshot 2021-04-13 at 17.43.25.png Details of SSDT's for Asmedia USB controllers

Copies of the two SSDT's are attached below, for you to try in your system.

Just remember that the two SSDT's may need editing to link to the correct USB devices in your system.

Attachments

franco77

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Z370 Extreme 4
CPU
i7-8700K
GPU
AMD RX 5700 XT
:eek::eek::eek: Many thanks for your time! I have to study really hard now :)

I've used the USBMap.command... I'll let you know when I'll understand everything you told me!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
It doesn't matter how you created your current USB configuration. What you need to do is check that it is correct.

I would recommend you check your current config and recreate (Export) your USB setup from within Hackintool.
  1. Select the 'Clear All' (sweeping brush) icon and
  2. Then select the 'Refresh' (circular arrow) icon the USB window in Hackintool,
  3. This will make it so you only see the active Intel Ports as set by your current USBMap.kext.
  4. Check that all the USB connector types are correct for each USB port shown in the window,
  5. Change them in Hackintool if necessary, using the drop down list in the USB window.
  6. Once you are sure all the ports are correct, select the 'Export' icon (far right) icon below USB window,
  7. This will create a number of SSDT's and kexts on your desktop.
  8. Copy the USBPorts.kext from your desktop and replace your USBMap.kext with this new kext.
  9. If using OC then remember to replace the kext and change the config.plist entry to match the new kext.
See if that helps.

franco77

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Z370 Extreme 4
CPU
i7-8700K
GPU
AMD RX 5700 XT
Thanks Edhawk,
you put me on the right path (for the second time). The culprit of my issues with sleep was a misconfiguration of the connector type of 2 ports: changing these two guys to “internal” solved the problem. Now my rig goes to sleep perfectly.

Thank you very much!!!

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
You are welcome.

Latest posts