Asus Prime B360M-A + i3 8100 Coffee Lake + Intel UHD 630 - Catalina installer hangs

DonField

macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime B360M-A
CPU
i3 8100
GPU
Intel UHD 630
Hello All, hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I can boot from USB to the Catalina installer ONLY by injecting Intel and adding FakeID 0x3E910000 - without those 2 things added into my Clover Plist, no boot. Once I select my language and re-format my SSD (for the 18th time - should it be APFS or MacOS Extended journaled?) the installer progresses for 5 minutes and then hangs.

Can anyone suggest which Kexts I should be installing for my configuration (I have ONLY onboard UHD 630 mobo graphics - NO video card)? Hoping to at least get the OS installed with NIC enabled so I can resolve any other problems after that point.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Your hard drive, SSD or NVME drive needs to be formatted APFS, with GUID Partition Map for Catalina.

A USB drive should be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journeled) i.e. HFS+ with GUID Partition Map, for any version of macOS.

When you get to the CLOVER boot screen after the first phase of the installation, do you see an addtiional icon on the boot screen named Install macOS Catalina from DATA, or an icon named something similar?

If yes, select that DATA icon to continue the installtaion. Catalina creates a hidden partition named DATA, which contains the important parts fo the OS, which need to be kept secure, such as the installation data. This drive will be unmounted when runing macOS Catalina normally, it only becomes visible when you are installing macOS Catalina or running an OS update.

If you select the USB drive you will just restart the installation from the begining.

Keep selecting theInstall macOS.... DATA icon until it no longer shows on the Clover boot screen, tthis will mean you have completed the middle phases of the installtaion. It may appear that the installations has failed or gone wrong, when the progress bar only goes part way and the system reboots. This is normal and how Apple have set the installer to behave. This happens on my MacBook Pro's.

When the Data icon is no longer showing on the Boot Screen. You should boot/select the macOS Catalina icon, to finish the installation wizard and boot to the desktop.

If you want, you can post a copy of your CLOVER folder, so we can see what you are using and see if we can make any suggestions or amendments to make it work better.

DonField

macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime B360M-A
CPU
i3 8100
GPU
Intel UHD 630
@Edhawk Thank you SO MUCH for your very detailed explanation of the boot process.

So for me, once the pre-boot process hangs with 1 minute remaining (no automatic reboot, just a system hang - mouse pointer will not move and SSD activity is zero) I can shut down manually and re-boot to the USB. At that point, I'm offered three options - boot from USB installer, boot from Catalina installer on HDD and boot from recovery partition on HDD. There is no option to Install Catalina from Data. If I select Install Catalina on HDD, I get to the progress bar and it stalls at 13 minutes remaining.

I feel very confident that if there's someone out there who has successfully installed Catalina using my specific Asus mobo with ANY CPU and USING UHD 630 GRAPHICS EXCLUSIVELY, I would be able to figure out how to make my installation work if I were able to see their EFI and config.plist files.

Fingers crossed...

Thanks again to this great community for all your volunteerism.

Jose luis

macOS
Mobo
ASUS B360M-A
CPU
i5-8400
GPU
Intel UHD-630
Hi DonFiled.

How are u? Im trying install Catalina/BigSur in Asus Prime B360M-A - i5-8400 with UHD 630 only.

Finally, did u get working?

Thanks you!

Latest posts