ASUS ROG Strix Z590-A "still waiting for root device" on booting Big Sur installer

swordsx48

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
CPU
i5-4690k
GPU
Sapphire RX Vega 56
Hi, hope all are well!
I'm running into this issue booting my Big Sur Installer.
I made the jump to be future proof with Thunderbolt 4 and PCIe 4.0. I think we will have it figured out soon.
For now, I just gotta boot the installer.
I'm aware still waiting for root means it can't "find" the USB. I have SSDT RHUB in the right place and in my config, and I also have XhciPortLimit set to true.
Simple fix for the right individual?
I am attaching my cleansed OC folder and the most recent OC log...although it doesn't seem to be very telling

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB

swordsx48

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
CPU
i5-4690k
GPU
Sapphire RX Vega 56
With Big Sur it could just as easily be an issue with an unsupported SATA controller. You may need to check which controller is being used, whether is is supported or not.

Here is a link to the OC troubleshooting guide and the fixes recommended for this issue - https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...oting/extended/kernel-issues.html#sata-issues
It also mentions the sata issues wouldn't affect booting the installer. I'll try right now with Catalina as well
Edit: the same result. Here's a photo
20210409_155320.jpg

I don't know if those ACPI errors spell trouble

Edit: tried disabling the SATA controller as well. No go.

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Most likely an NVMe or USB issue causing the kernel panic.

Confirm the full specifications for this Z590 system.
  1. CPU model (Intel 10th or 11th Gen)
  2. dGPU make/model
  3. Any Add-on cards make/model, i.e. Thunderbolt 3 or 4?
  4. SMBIOS model
  5. WiFi/BT card make/model
  6. NVMe drive, in which port/MB connector?
Your OC folder is very basic, with little (if any) customisation for your system. No IGPU specified, no Ethernet kext (Intel I225-V 2.5GB controller), no Audio kext (ALC4080), no SMBIOS set, etc.

If I have read some of the guides/reports I have seen correctly then you may not need an Audio kext, as the Z590 may present the Audio device as an external USB device (port HS14).

You probably need XHCI-Unsupported.kext and USBInjectAll.kext for the USB controller:

XHC, 500-series chipset (8086:43ed):
  • 14-USB2 ports HS01-HS14,
  • 10-USB3 ports SS01-SS10, plus
  • USR1/USR2)
While setting Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit = True, in the config might help. It won't do much if the USB device is not supported in macOS and your OC configuration is lacking any kexts or information in the config.plist to rectify this issue.

I assume this is a link to the Overview for your motherboard - https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z590-a-gaming-wifi-model/

You might want to take a look at this 'Guide' over at Github - https://github.com/dhckdgjs/GIGABYTE-Z590-VISION-G-HACKINTOSH-OPENCORE-iGPU-with-dGPU-UHD630-RX580. The system specs are not identical but enough components and devices are similar that this would be a good starting point when creating the OC configuration for your 500-series system.

swordsx48

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
CPU
i5-4690k
GPU
Sapphire RX Vega 56
Thanks so much for the help! I only needed the USBPorts.kext to get my controller recognized and the installer booted successfully and I was able to install. Ended up getting a dGPU because the iGPU is definitely not supported, even when faking as UHD 630.

I purposely keep it minimal to boot the installer and leave only what's necessary, then after installation, I go about getting the ethernet / audio working. The SMBIOS I had "cleansed" to post online, probably shouldve left the model name though 😅

Yes that link is correct! While he also states ALC4080 is located at HS14 for the Vision Z590 board, it seems that port is not enabled in the kext. To see all ports, shall I make my own SSDT and use USBInjectAll? I think that's about the last thing left for this build!

Latest posts