Ashman

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Auros x570 Elite
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU
Sapphire Radeon RX 580
What methods of backup do you use? If you have OSX installed on an SSD do you keep a second SSD and use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your live install to the second drive as a backup? What can you do to be in a position to boot off a drive loaded with your install should something go wrong and you are unable to boot into OSX?

barbelith

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700k
GPU
Asus ROG Strix Radeon RX560 Gaming 4GB GDDR5
In my case, I use an external disk, which is partitioned as a bootable disk, with an EFI partition and an HFS partition

- In the EFI partition, I have a synchronised copy of my EFI folder, so I can use it to test new configs and have a copy, just in case
- With Chronosync (I use that app, but it can be Carbon Copy Cloner or other), I have an incremental bootable copy of `Macintosh HD` partition. I usually sinchronize it weekly or before any update or system change

After a backup update, usually I test it boots fine, to be sure it really works.

I also have a Git repository in Bitbucket with the EFI partition, so I can test new things and using branches, change quickly between different configs, so I can go back always to a previous setting.

Also, I test from time to time that the EFI partition in the backup disk is able to boot the OSX partition from the internal disk.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
In my case I use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my drive to a spare SSD, this is removed from the machine and placed in my desk drawer. The clone is updated monthly, I have an Icy Dock MB322SP-B ExpressCage 2.5" caddy system in the front of my Hack, so there is no mucking about with cables internally.

My daily backups are undertaken by Time Machine to a 3TB WD MyBookLive network attached drive. My son, daughter and wife also use this NAS drive for their Macs & Hacks. I would not use this backup for reinstalling but it is an easy way to recover lost or deleted files.

I also keep to hand a USB boot disk that I update regularly with a recent version of Clover and the OSX version I am currently using, so I can quickly access the drive via the usb if my config.plist or any updates I install are corrupted on the SSD.

Last edited:

risd-nads

macOS
Mobo
MSI Z370I Pro Gaming Carbon AC
CPU
i7 8700K
GPU
HD630
I have an internal 1TB SSD that I keep a clone (CCC) of on an external 1TB Barracuda HD, which I installed into a Satechi USB-C enclosure. I use the clone in case updates mess things up (as yesterday's Security Update did!)

Latest posts