Big Sur 11.6 Question about NVMe, Trim and purgeable space?

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
I am puzzled. If I recall correctly when I was running Catalina disk info would show purgeable space for both the main OS NVMe as well as the secondary Data only drive NVMe. Now I am checking in Big Sur and this is what I see...

TRIM Purgable.png

Also it dose not seem that TRIM is working on the data drive although in the System Profiler, TRIM is enabled for both. I have tried copying off 14GB from the Data drive and restarting, but nothing happens. And after copying it back, there is less disk space. (Samsung EVO Plus 500GB NVMe).

I was testing this because I recently installed a PCIe NVMe card that also did not show purgeable space. When that happened, I put the drive back on the motherboard M2 slot and that is when I noticed it was the same.

It is hard to find info online, mostly the search results are old and "How to enable Trim". Any insight on this is appreciated. Do I need to worry about the disk filling up? When dose Trim run on a non OS drive?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
Edhawk thanks, yes I have been following the Tonymac one as I anticipate someday putting Monterey on an NVMe.

However I am only running Big Sur at this time and have a 2nd drive that is jut data (both NVMe mounted on the 2 slots of the motherboard). Big Sur dose not have the long boot issue like Monterey and Trim at least for the macOS disk works, but the data disk dose not seem to show purgeable nor perform Trim. :confused:

I know when I had Catalina that this was working fine on both disks.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
If you do upgrade to Monterey make sure it isn’t on a Samsung NVME drive!

I‘m not sure why the Purgeable space isn’t showing on your Data NVME drive. Could be that some of the code from Monterey was used in the last version of Big Sur.

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
I am running Big Sure 11.6 That was the last update I ran on Big Sur, but I never noticed if it did anything to the data drive.

I tried something today... I backed up my Data drive. And went to instal Catalina on it. I figured if having an OS on the drive would allow TRIM/purgeable to work. But for whatever reason I could not get the installation to complete. I pulled all other drives from the system as to not have them interfere with the process, but no luck. Never finished the installation for Catalina. The only thing I see missing is the partition that completes the install to choose it. It maybe hidden in OpenCore, so I am currently going to investigate that and try to complete the installation. I may have not set property to show in my last EFI config files.

Anyway, at the moment having now reinstalled back into my system my Big Sur drive and my data drive (with an incomplete install of Catalina), this is what I see when I get info for both drives... purgeable is back on the data drive. :oops:

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 12.55.03 PM.png

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
Let me update here...

I had to use an old OpenCore EFI from my backups (version 0.6.3). And then I was able to install Catalina and run it via that EFI.

Now while I should be able to boot Catalina with the lates OC 0.6.7, it dose not show up at all in the OC boot selection screen even though I have set HideAuxiliary to False. Only Big Sur, it's Recovery and reset NVMRAM show up.

I think this is issues with latest OpenCore 0.7.6

The answer is they changed the following in OC and...
** If your booting and OS older than Big Sur… Under UEFI/APFS you must enter a value for MinVersion and MinDate (
for Catalina v 1412101001000000 and date is 20200306). Only then will your OS disk (Catalina) show up in the boot screen as a selection.

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
That's been the case for a while. It is caused by the monthly updates of OC. If you don't keep on top of the monthly changes things get out of sync easily.

If you are using Big Sur or Monterey the '-1' is required for both of these options. If you are running an earlier version of the APF driver then you need to specify the MinDate and MinVersion for the correct APFS version, otherwise they don't work.

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
Not sure which APF driver I have... where do I look for that? Also -1, is that a value for MinVersion and MinDate?

Thanks Edhawk.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Yes, for Big Sur and Monterey the MinVersion and MinDate should be set as -1. Not '0' as most have it set.

For High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina (10.15.4) there are specific setting that if not use will not allow the earlier versions of the APF Driver to work.

Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 02.17.40.png

This is an OpenCore setting, nothing to do with Apple's OS releases as far as I can see.

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
I can't believe I missed that. 0 is what they provide in the sample.config file of OC. -1 works fine for me.

Thanks again Edhawk

Last edited:

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
Well after a couple of days now, I am having the same experience as before with the same Samsung drive. Not seeing purgeable space and removing large files of the drive to check if it updates... and it dose not.I only have 50% full.

As far as Samsung and Monterey, I am also seeing articles online regarding slow drive issues with Samsung and Windows 11 users.