de.schurk

Mobo
ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K
GPU
Intel HD Graphics 530
Hi All,
First time being here. Saw lots of responses on support questions on this forum here so I'm giving it a try too :)
I'm trying to install Big Sur with the OpenCore bootloader on my Dell Latitude 5590. I followed the guide on dortania.github.io and followed all stepts. Now I'm booting from USB and the system get's stuck at:
IMG_1105.jpg

apfs_module_start 2436 load com.apple.filesystems.apfs

Here is some system information:
Processor Name: Intel Core i5-8250U
Computer Brand Name: DELL Latitude 5590
Video Chipset: Intel UHD Graphics 620
HardDisk: INTEL SSD 256 G8 SATA

Any help would be awesome :)
Here is my Sanity_Check: OpenCore config.plist Sanity Checker (slowgeek.com)

I attached my config.plist & EFI

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I have had a look at your EFI folder and config.plist. I have also had a look at the drivers you would normally use for this laptop running Windows 10, and I would comment as follows:

You laptop uses the following devices:
  • Realtek Audio codec
  • Realtek Card Reader
  • Dell Touchpad possibly i2C HID device
  • Dell Keyboard possibly PS2 device
  • Intel WiFi/BT card, may work but not natively.
  • Intel Ethernet port
  • USB 3.1 ports (no USB 2.0 ports)
  • Intel iGPU UHD 620
  • Nvidia Discrete GPU, which needs to be disabled for macOS.
Based on the information above I believe you need to make some changes to your /EFI/OC folder and the ACPI and Kext sub-folders.

Remove these unnecessary kexts from the /OC/Kexts folder:
  • AppleIGB.kext
  • AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
  • RtWlanU.kext
  • RtWlanU1827.kext
Update these kext to the latest versions:
  • VirtualSMC.kext v1.2.0
  • Lilu.kext v1.5.1
  • WhateverGreen.kext v1.4.7
Add these kexts to the /OC/Kexts folder:
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext - with Trackpad & Mouse kext plugins removed, just for Keyboard
  • VirtualSMC.kext v 1.2.0 - Sensor and battery kexts:
    • SMCBatteryManager.kext
    • SMCDellSensors.kext
    • SMCLightSensor.kext
    • SMCProcessor.kext
    • SMCSuperIO.kext
  • NoTouchID.kext
  • Sinetek-rtsx.kext - For Realtek Card Reader
Now comes the complicated part - the Trackpad:
  • This requires a couple of additional kexts, easy to add a few VoodooI2c kexts to the /OC/Kexts folder. The latest version is VoodooI2C-2.6.4
    • VoodooI2C.kext
    • VoodooI2CHID.kext, plus one of these kexts:
      • VoodooI2CAtmelMXT.kext
      • VoodooI2CELAN.kext
      • VoodooI2CFTE.kext
      • VoodooI2CSynaptics.kext
    • Which of the four kexts above you need to use, can probably be discovered if you boot in to Windows and look at the Mouse/Trackpad device details in Device Manager.
  • However for these kexts to work you are also required to patch the DSDT.aml - not so easy part.
Installation Work around:
Until the device details have been confirmed, a copy of the system DSDT.aml provided it might be sensible to withhold installing the VoodooI2C kexts and for you to make sure you have a mouse connected to one of the USB ports.

Kernel Panic:
The kernel panic you ran in to while trying to boot the system is mentioned in the OC TroubleShooting guide - https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...tion-begins-previous-shutdown-hpet-hid-legacy

There are a number of possible causes and a number of possible fixes for this issue. The easiest to try is adding npci=0x2000 boot argument to your config.plist.

Discrete Nvidia GPU:
The Discrete GPU will most likely not work in macOS. As laptops are designed to work with Windows, which uses a different way of combining the graphics cards. You will in all likelihood have to use this boot argument -wegnoegpu to disable the Nvidia card when running macOS.

I think that about covers my thoughts and input.

You have some reading and discovery work to undertake before you get your laptop running macOS.

Attachments

de.schurk

Mobo
ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K
GPU
Intel HD Graphics 530
I have had a look at your EFI folder and config.plist. I have also had a look at the drivers you would normally use for this laptop running Windows 10, and I would comment as follows:

You laptop uses the following devices:
  • Realtek Audio codec
  • Realtek Card Reader
  • Dell Touchpad possibly i2C HID device
  • Dell Keyboard possibly PS2 device
  • Intel WiFi/BT card, may work but not natively.
  • Intel Ethernet port
  • USB 3.1 ports (no USB 2.0 ports)
  • Intel iGPU UHD 620
  • Nvidia Discrete GPU, which needs to be disabled for macOS.
Based on the information above I believe you need to make some changes to your /EFI/OC folder and the ACPI and Kext sub-folders.

Remove these unnecessary kexts from the /OC/Kexts folder:
  • AppleIGB.kext
  • AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
  • RtWlanU.kext
  • RtWlanU1827.kext
Update these kext to the latest versions:
  • VirtualSMC.kext v1.2.0
  • Lilu.kext v1.5.1
  • WhateverGreen.kext v1.4.7
Add these kexts to the /OC/Kexts folder:
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext - with Trackpad & Mouse kext plugins removed, just for Keyboard
  • VirtualSMC.kext v 1.2.0 - Sensor and battery kexts:
    • SMCBatteryManager.kext
    • SMCDellSensors.kext
    • SMCLightSensor.kext
    • SMCProcessor.kext
    • SMCSuperIO.kext
  • NoTouchID.kext
  • Sinetek-rtsx.kext - For Realtek Card Reader
Now comes the complicated part - the Trackpad:
  • This requires a couple of additional kexts, easy to add a few VoodooI2c kexts to the /OC/Kexts folder. The latest version is VoodooI2C-2.6.4
    • VoodooI2C.kext
    • VoodooI2CHID.kext, plus one of these kexts:
      • VoodooI2CAtmelMXT.kext
      • VoodooI2CELAN.kext
      • VoodooI2CFTE.kext
      • VoodooI2CSynaptics.kext
    • Which of the four kexts above you need to use, can probably be discovered if you boot in to Windows and look at the Mouse/Trackpad device details in Device Manager.
  • However for these kexts to work you are also required to patch the DSDT.aml - not so easy part.
Installation Work around:
Until the device details have been confirmed, a copy of the system DSDT.aml provided it might be sensible to withhold installing the VoodooI2C kexts and for you to make sure you have a mouse connected to one of the USB ports.

Kernel Panic:
The kernel panic you ran in to while trying to boot the system is mentioned in the OC TroubleShooting guide - https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...tion-begins-previous-shutdown-hpet-hid-legacy

There are a number of possible causes and a number of possible fixes for this issue. The easiest to try is adding npci=0x2000 boot argument to your config.plist.

Discrete Nvidia GPU:
The Discrete GPU will most likely not work in macOS. As laptops are designed to work with Windows, which uses a different way of combining the graphics cards. You will in all likelihood have to use this boot argument -wegnoegpu to disable the Nvidia card when running macOS.

I think that about covers my thoughts and input.

You have some reading and discovery work to undertake before you get your laptop running macOS.
Thanks for the reply! I updated all the Kext's and also removed the VooDoo's because I'm not using the trackpad anyway. (Using USB mouse/keyboard).

I added the npci=0x2000 boot argument to the config.plist

About the Nvidia GPU boot argument, I'm not having any Nvidia GPU. Using the iGPU Intel UHD Graphics. Anyway, I tried booting without this argument en without and I don't know if this is a step forward or backward but now I'm stuck at:

IMG_1106.jpg

AppleIntelLpssI2CController::serviceMatchingTimeSubr: fTimerServiceMatching time out. fNotification0

To be sure I added the VooDoo Kext's in the Kext directory with an updated config.plist but it still gives me the same time out message.

Will continue to find a fix, but you are free to respond :p
(Updated my EFI.zip and config.plist)

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB

de.schurk

Mobo
ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K
GPU
Intel HD Graphics 530
Do you remember me saying the VoodooI2C kexts required a DSDT.aml patch for them to work correctly?
@Edhawk
Have a read of this Installation guide for VoodooI2C - https://voodooi2c.github.io/#Installation/Installation
Yes I do remember, anyway I thought maybe I could do it without the VooDooI2C's because I'm also using a USB Mouse/Keyboard. But apparently the VooDooI2C's are needed anyway?

Sorry for my late reply, it wasn't because of a lack of interest. I wasn't familiair with patching DSDT's etc. I was trying to learn how before I was making any stupid reply's, so I tried and I tried all of again. I must be doing the whole OpenCore tutorial for about 8 times including the patching DSDT's etc.

Allright, after trying and trying I feel like I'm getting closer to the install. I used your Kext's which you attached in the previous reply. Like:

I attached my current config.plist & EFI
I added the DSDT.aml to the ACPI folder and also ACP\patched folder

Now when I try to boot I'm getting a lot more information on the screen than before but still it doesn't let me enter the setup:

Any suggestions?

Attachments

Last edited:

de.schurk

Mobo
ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K
GPU
Intel HD Graphics 530
In addition, I also tried to boot with the 'npci=0x2000' boot-argument which results in:

I'm NOT giving up!!! Will try until it works :p

de.schurk

Mobo
ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K
GPU
Intel HD Graphics 530
@Edhawk Still trying to troubleshoot but can't seem to figure where to put my focus on. Do you have any suggestions or is it game over? :(