macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N Wifi
CPU
i5-8400
GPU
RX 460
Hello everyone.

Since I updated, I don't manage to get my Hackintosh work like it did before.
Right after update, I was stuck on black screen after booting. My monitor is plugged with displayport.
I tried to unplug my GPU. Then I was stuck at boot with some "gfx" related bug. I finally managed to boot with the -disablegfxfirmware boot option, but without sound working.

Here's my config plist attached.

Do you guys have any lead ? Thanks !

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
2 x Powercolor RX 580 8GB
This sounds like an issue with your kexts being out of date, more than it does an issue with your config.plist, especially if the config worked in Mojave.

Check which versions of AppleALC.kext, Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext you are using and see if there are any updates available.

I know people running Catalina 10.15.1 with an AMD GPU have run in to problems. An updated version of WhateverGreen.kext seems to have fixed this, version 1.3.4 is attached for you to try.

Attachments

atchampi

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N Wifi
CPU
i5-8400
GPU
RX 460
Thank you very much Edhawk.
I updated all my kexts, but unfortunately it hasn't not solved my problem.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Post the whole CLOVER folder and I will have a look tomorrow to see what needs attention.

atchampi

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N Wifi
CPU
i5-8400
GPU
RX 460
Hi everyone.
I'm still in need for your help... After trying many many cover configurations, I can now boot when plugged on my GPU and without the -disablegfxarguments. Though, I still face a black screen.
The strange thing is that my hackintosh boots and works like a charm when I boot from my usb stick. Then, with the exact same EFI folder content on my hard drive, my screen remains black after booting.

Thanks a lot for you help guys.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Try the config.plist attached. I have changed a few options compared to your original config and set the SMBIOS as iMac 19.2, which I beleive is a better match for your CPU.

I have removed inject ATI=true and 'Acre' as the framebuffer. As you don't need either of these when using WhateverGreen.kext. This may help with the Black Screen issue

You are missing the ACPI folder and the three sub-folders it normally contains. So I have attached a zipped copy of this folder for you to add to your CLOVER folder. The /ACPI/patched folder contains SSDT-XOSI.aml, which works with one of the DSDT/SSDT rename patches in the config and helps macOS better recognise your system. It also contains SSDT-PLNF.aml, which works with WhateverGreen.kext to set your display.

Attachments

atchampi

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N Wifi
CPU
i5-8400
GPU
RX 460
Thanks again for you time Edhawk. Unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem.
I'll perform a fresh install with your modified config.plist and ACPI and give the result here.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
I have had another look at your CLOVER folder and have attached a revised folder for you to use. The revisions made include the following:
  • Added a number of additional drivers to /CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder
  • Added a couple of kexts to /CLOVER/kexts/Other
  • Deleted a number of themes from /CLOVER/themes folder
  • Various tweaks and amendments to the config.plist
  • It contains the previous modifications like adding the ACPI folder etc.
Here is a link to the specification page for your Gigabyte Motherboard - https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/Z370N-WIFI-rev-10/sp#sp

Here is a link showing the specification for your Intel i5-8400 CPU - https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...5-8400-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-00-ghz.html

I used both these pages as sources of information when tweaking your CLOVER folder.

Try this folder and let me know if it helps.

Just rename the folder to CLOVER before you use it.

Attachments

atchampi

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N Wifi
CPU
i5-8400
GPU
RX 460
Thank you so much Edhawk. I finally managed to perform a fresh install with the help of your files, and everything is now working fine. I only had to disable radeoninit and inject ati as it caused graphic acceleration troubles.
All my hardware is now correctly detected.

Thanks again for your time 🙏.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
You are welcome.

macOS
Mobo
ASUS Maximus Formula V
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770K
GPU
ASUS R7 370
You are welcome.
Hi Edhawk. I suffer from the same black screen. My system 10.15.0 was running OK with FB fake 68101002 and Fake ID ATI selected with lilu and WEG. After 10.15.1 update , if I boot with these settings , I get black screen at the end of boot process . If I deselected ATI ,it boots without graphics acceleration. I am using DP port of my HP Monitor HP ZR2740W

Attachments

the-ham

macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime Z370-A
CPU
Coffe Lake 8700 K
GPU
AMD Vega 64
Hi everybody,
unfortunately I have the same problem. My displayport on vega 64 just shows black screen after catalina update. One time I could boot into catalina, after reboot, black screen again. I have de latest kexts installed. Boot to Mojave (with same settings) works fine. My EFI file is to large to be uploaded.
apreciate any help

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
People,

This is a possible solution from Jaymonkey over at Tonymacx86:

"As detailed in the Prerequisites section of Lilu + Plugin's guide use of the following APCI fixes can cause issues with WEG.
  • Change/Rename GFX0 to IGPU
  • Change/Rename PEG0 to GFX0
  • Change/Rename HECI to IMEI
Recommend you remove or disable these patches and give Lilu + WhatEverGreen another go, make sure to use the latest versions as there was an issue with Lilu 1.3.0."

I would suggest you remove/disable any and all graphic related fixes from your config.plist and see if the latest version of Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext fixes the black screen issue. This includes disabling or removal of any GPU Injection, nominated framebuffers, ig-platform-id's and Fake ID's.

I have attached copies of the latest versions of Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext, which should be installed to /Library/Extensions. I have also included the SSDT-PLNF.aml that accompanies WEG, which you might want to install to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.

If you have a DisplayPort connection on your monitor/display then use that in preference over the HDMI or DVI connection. If you don't have DP, try HDMI over DVI.

Try this fix and let me know if it made any difference.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
ASUS Maximus Formula V
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770K
GPU
ASUS R7 370
People,

This is a possible solution from Jaymonkey over at Tonymacx86:

"As detailed in the Prerequisites section of Lilu + Plugin's guide use of the following APCI fixes can cause issues with WEG.
  • Change/Rename GFX0 to IGPU
  • Change/Rename PEG0 to GFX0
  • Change/Rename HECI to IMEI
Recommend you remove or disable these patches and give Lilu + WhatEverGreen another go, make sure to use the latest versions as there was an issue with Lilu 1.3.0."

I would suggest you remove/disable any and all graphic related fixes from your config.plist and see if the latest version of Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext fixes the black screen issue. This includes disabling or removal of any GPU Injection, nominated framebuffers, ig-platform-id's and Fake ID's.

I have attached copies of the latest versions of Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext, which should be installed to /Library/Extensions. I have also included the SSDT-PLNF.aml that accompanies WEG, which you might want to install to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.

If you have a DisplayPort connection on your monitor/display then use that in preference over the HDMI or DVI connection. If you don't have DP, try HDMI over DVI.

Try this fix and let me know if it made any difference.
Edhawk, I tried exactly what you have said above with SMBIOS 13.2 , still logging is without graphic acceleration. If you like , I can send boot.log and ioreg files

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
@Avatara I have just started looking through your /EFI/CLOVER folder and have made a couple of assumptions:
  1. You not have a WiFi card installed
  2. You do not have any Ethernet ports other than the one on the motherboard.
Based on these assumptions and your system spec, I have attached a revised CLOVER folder for you to try.

Use this CLOVER folder in place of your current one. I have refreshed the SMBIOS, to iMac 13.2 and populated the MLB with the new Board Serial Number. I have checked the new serial number with EveryMac and Apple Support, so it should not cause any issues with iMessage or iCLoud.

Simply replace your current CLOVER folder with this one, reboot and let me know how it works.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
@the-ham You need to provide the reset of your CLOVER folder so I can see what you are using to boot macOS.

Can you confirm if you are still using Mojave 10.14.2, or the version of Catalina you are trying to install.

macOS
Mobo
ASUS Maximus Formula V
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770K
GPU
ASUS R7 370
@Avatara I have just started looking through your /EFI/CLOVER folder and have made a couple of assumptions:
  1. You not have a WiFi card installed
  2. You do not have any Ethernet ports other than the one on the motherboard.
Based on these assumptions and your system spec, I have attached a revised CLOVER folder for you to try.

Use this CLOVER folder in place of your current one. I have refreshed the SMBIOS, to iMac 13.2 and populated the MLB with the new Board Serial Number. I have checked the new serial number with EveryMac and Apple Support, so it should not cause any issues with iMessage or iCLoud.

Simply replace your current CLOVER folder with this one, reboot and let me know how it works.
It stops during boot , the screen shot is attached.

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
@Avatara

That info.txt is not from the CLOVER folder I provided. It has a SMBIOS for an iMac 14.2. I set the SMBIOS in the CLOVER folder I provided as iMac 13.2, as that is at least an Ivy Bridge system.

Also I just realised that your R7 370 doesn't work out of the box with macOS. You need to either use a Fake ID or add the ID 0x6811 to the AMD7000Controller.kext and the other supporting AMD kexts for it to work.

I have attached a revised CLOVERv2 folder, which has a Fake ID for the ATI/AMD card and I have removed the AMD framebuffer, as it is for a different card.

Try using this CLOVER folder, the whole folder not just the config.plist. As I had made some changes that should help your system.

Post a copy of the Bootlog.txt after you have booted with this folder.

Just remember to rename the folder CLOVER when you copy it to your EFI folder.

macOS
Mobo
ASUS Maximus Formula V
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770K
GPU
ASUS R7 370
@Avatara

That info.txt is not from the CLOVER folder I provided. It has a SMBIOS for an iMac 14.2. I set the SMBIOS in the CLOVER folder I provided as iMac 13.2, as that is at least an Ivy Bridge system.

Also I just realised that your R7 370 doesn't work out of the box with macOS. You need to either use a Fake ID or add the ID 0x6811 to the AMD7000Controller.kext and the other supporting AMD kexts for it to work.

I have attached a revised CLOVERv2 folder, which has a Fake ID for the ATI/AMD card and I have removed the AMD framebuffer, as it is for a different card.

Try using this CLOVER folder, the whole folder not just the config.plist. As I had made some changes that should help your system.

Post a copy of the Bootlog.txt after you have booted with this folder.

Just remember to rename the folder CLOVER when you copy it to your EFI folder.
I can't find attachment CLOVERv2

Latest posts