Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
2 x Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Utility? I used Xcode to make the changes to the three kexts.

Are the other two kexts loading correctly?

Have you looked in to /System/Library/Extensions, have you also now got three .bak folders, which contain the backups for the three AMD kexts?

macOS
Mobo
ASUS Maximus Formula V
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770K
GPU
ASUS R7 370
Utility? I used Xcode to make the changes to the three kexts.

Are the other two kexts loading correctly?

Have you looked in to /System/Library/Extensions, have you also now got three .bak folders, which contain the backups for the three AMD kexts?
These 3 modified files are seen in S/L/E together with original files named with bak extension. The issue is the new kexts are not loaded during re boot. I can see that AMD7000Controller.kext is even not shown in extensions section of System Information , the two other are shown as not notarized and not loaded. This shows my replacement has not been done properly. I used Kext Utility and Kext Wizard , but both could not make the operation properly. Should I install these kexts to L/E or EFI/Clover/Kexts folder ?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
No, you need to change the Gatekeeper settings in Catalina before you can use Kext Utility.
  1. Open Hackintool app.
  2. Navigate to Tools tab.
  3. Select the third icon from the right at the bottom of the window, should say 'Disable Gatekeeper and mount drive in read/write mode'

Screenshot 2019-11-17 at 22.13.06.png Disable Gatekeeper with Hackintool.

Then use Kext Utility to install the three kexts to /System/Library/Extensions.

The kext installation tool in Hackintool installs third party kexts to /Library/Extensions. These three AMD kexts are not third-party kexts, they are Apple's drivers for the Gen1 AMD cards, so they need to be loaded from /System/Library/Extensions.

macOS
Mobo
ASUS Maximus Formula V
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770K
GPU
ASUS R7 370
No, you need to change the Gatekeeper settings in Catalina before you can use Kext Utility.
  1. Open Hackintool app.
  2. Navigate to Tools tab.
  3. Select the third icon from the right at the bottom of the window, should say 'Disable Gatekeeper and mount drive in read/write mode'

View attachment 5324 Disable Gatekeeper with Hackintool.

Then use Kext Utility to install the three kexts to /System/Library/Extensions.

The kext installation tool in Hackintool installs third party kexts to /Library/Extensions. These three AMD kexts are not third-party kexts, they are Apple's drivers for the Gen1 AMD cards, so they need to be loaded from /System/Library/Extensions.
I of course first disable gatekeeper in Hackintool and then use Kext utility. But they are not loaded during boot. They are indicated as not notarized.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Do you have SIP fully disabled in your config.plist, i.e. CrsActiveConfig=0x67 or partitally disabled with 0x03

macOS
Mobo
ASUS Maximus Formula V
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770K
GPU
ASUS R7 370
Do you have SIP fully disabled in your config.plist, i.e. CrsActiveConfig=0x67 or partitally disabled with 0x03
It is CrsActiveConfig=0x67 in Clover Rt variables. modified AMD7000Controller.kext can never be installed. When I install the original AMD7000 ,it is shown in this list.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Ok, so you need to revert back to the original kexts and use the Fake ID in your config.plist.

Sorry it didn't work.

That was the way it used to work, when you had a graphics card whose device ID wasn't in the Controller kext. I have used that process for a number of older AMD cards on other version of macOS, but not with Catalina.

macOS
Mobo
ASUS Maximus Formula V
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770K
GPU
ASUS R7 370
Ok, so you need to revert back to the original kexts and use the Fake ID in your config.plist.

Sorry it didn't work.

That was the way it used to work, when you had a graphics card whose device ID wasn't in the Controller kext. I have used that process for a number of older AMD cards on other version of macOS, but not with Catalina.
No problem, we have understood that kext replacement is not possible in S/L/E in Catalina, at least for these modified AMD kexts.

Last edited:

the-ham

macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime Z370-A
CPU
Coffe Lake 8700 K
GPU
AMD Vega 64
People,

This is a possible solution from Jaymonkey over at Tonymacx86:

"As detailed in the Prerequisites section of Lilu + Plugin's guide use of the following APCI fixes can cause issues with WEG.
  • Change/Rename GFX0 to IGPU
  • Change/Rename PEG0 to GFX0
  • Change/Rename HECI to IMEI
Recommend you remove or disable these patches and give Lilu + WhatEverGreen another go, make sure to use the latest versions as there was an issue with Lilu 1.3.0."

I would suggest you remove/disable any and all graphic related fixes from your config.plist and see if the latest version of Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext fixes the black screen issue. This includes disabling or removal of any GPU Injection, nominated framebuffers, ig-platform-id's and Fake ID's.

I have attached copies of the latest versions of Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext, which should be installed to /Library/Extensions. I have also included the SSDT-PLNF.aml that accompanies WEG, which you might want to install to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.

If you have a DisplayPort connection on your monitor/display then use that in preference over the HDMI or DVI connection. If you don't have DP, try HDMI over DVI.

Try this fix and let me know if it made any difference.
Thanky you @Edhawk removing these three APCI fixes has done the trick. Catalina starting now. Even better, looks like everything is working.

Thanks again for your help and have a nice day.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
@the-ham - Glad to hear it worked for you.

Latest posts