Black screen after upgrade Clover 4920 to 5141

Mobo
ASUS Z370 ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA
CPU
Intel Core i9-9900K
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
Hi all,

I have tried to upgrade my EFI of Clover 4920 to 5141 to prepare for an upgrade from Mojave to Big Sur. But after I replace the new EFI (Clover 5141) the current system running Mojave is stuck at black screen after boot without any errors. Even I have tried to replace the EFI with a backup version (Clover 4920) but it still gets a black screen.
Btw, I can still be able to boot into Recovery, and seeing the Time Machine is continuous to creating a snapshot after a couple of hours. Does it mean my system has been booted without a signal to my monitors?

Can you help me, please? Thanks in advance.

Here are my specs:
Mobo: ASUS Z370 ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K
GPU: AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
If you are not seeing an error/Kernel Panic and your system is not automatically rebooting, then yes I would say your system was booting but not showing a signal on the display(s).

Can you post a copy of your 4920 Clover folder, so I can see what if anything is different in relation to your new and old Clover setups.

You are lacking a few common SSDT's that are normally used with a Coffee Lake (CFL) system.
  • SSDT-EC-USBX.aml
  • SSDT-PLUG.aml
  • SSDT-AWAC.aml
These three SSDT's attached below, should be added to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.

As you have a Z370 board you don't need the other common SSDT that is used with CFL systems - SSDT-PCM.aml.

You have the four Raise USB Port Limit patches in the Kernel and Kext Patches section of your config.plist. You also have the XhciPortLimit quirk enabled in the Quirks (OpenCore) section. You don't need both as they do the same thing. Disable the XhciPortLimit quirk or remove the four patches, so only one method is used to enable your USB ports.

You have the Device Properties for your Intel UHD 630 IGPU set as headless in your config.plist. You also have the ig-platform-id entry included in the Graphics section. The ig-platform-id is not required when the Device Properties are set and you are using WhateverGreen.kext.

There are a few other issues but I want to see what your old Clover folder contained before commenting on anything else.

Attachments

Mobo
CPU
Intel Core i9-9900K
GPU
Thanks for your suggestions Edward, I have tried but nothing changes.

So after a couple of hours, I tried to make a new Opencore 0.7.4 EFI from Dortania guidelines.
And after I changed to Opencore 0.7.4 EFI, I still not being able to boot into Mojave. It just runs some command line that ends up with "EndKernelConsole" and suddenly shutdown.

But while I trying to update straight forward to Big Sur, it seems like everything work except the installation process always stuck at "An error preparing software update"

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Are you downloading the actual Big Sur installer, which is 12GB+ in size or are you using the Recovery option, where the installation app is downloaded as part of the upgrade process?

If the later then your Ethernet will need to be working during the Recovery process.

Mobo
CPU
Intel Core i9-9900K
GPU
I have tried both Big Sur installer and Re-install Big Sur from Recovery option and the result is the same as the image above.
My Ethernet and Wifi / Bluetooth are working fine and the download process seems to be completed.
Look at the install log, it has some errors like that:

IFJS: Package Authoring Error: access to path "/tmp/com.apple.pkg.testing" requires <options allow-external-scripts='true'>

Last edited:

Latest posts