Boot Failure post install apfs_module_start 1689 - Gigabyte H67N-USB3-B3 Catalina 10.15.6

felixity

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
9600KF
GPU
RX 570
Hi!

Please help me out if you have the same board or could help me diagnose why I am stuck at apfs_module_start 1689. I have googled apfs_module_start 1689 but have not been able to find anything definitive, adding ACPI patches did not solve the issue. I have summarised my steps below.

Setup:

Mobo: Gigabyte H67N-USB3-B3, BIOS F9
CPU: i7 3770
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333
120 SSD SATA3

Steps taken:

After much trial and error, my mobo requires Legacy Clover boot in order to reach the loader.

I have been trying to install 10.15.6 onto this mobo for over a week now, but have failed to get to the installer using my own vanilla Clover 5135 created by following /r/Hackintosh Vanilla Clover Guide. Plus a few added bits and pieces I found along the way from suggestions from various places (sorry lost track, but you should be able to see my kext have some added stuff that is not mentioned in the vanilla guide).

Also tried to create my own OpenCore USB boot using Dortania's OpenCore Install Guide, but could not boot.

Eventually used a pre-compiled EFI USB installer to get to Catalina installer and installed Catalina on this system.

However, this pre-made EFI will not boot the actual OS - THIS IS NOT WHAT I INTEND TO SEEK HELP WITH, please keep reading -

MVIMG_20210605_214413.jpg

MVIMG_20210605_214650_2.jpg

My aim was to create my own vanilla without any extra baggage, so I went back to re-read all the research I found before (old guides around the net for High Sierra guides on this mobo, but all are outdated) to ensure my BIOS settings are correct.

I received good explanation to use 5119 / 5120 instead of 5135 as it was before modifications for transition to OpenCore. Also added SSDT-IMEI.aml to patched ACPI.

Went and created a new legacy clover 5119 and doubled checked the vanilla clover guide, applying 6 series chipset settings, Ivy bridge CPU, Intel HD4000 IGD, iMac 13,2 definition.

Still hangs at apfs_module_start 1689. Screen will go all garbled after a minute or 2.

MVIMG_20210605_214125_2.jpg

MVIMG_20210605_214207_2.jpg

I have attached vanilla EFI folder generated from the vanilla guide here.

Please help me, willing to try different expressions in the clover settings. THANK YOU~

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I will have a look at your EFI folder and get back to you later today.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Can you post a copy of the ACPI tables from this system, as I need to check a couple of device locations and names in the DSDT.aml. I also want to see whether you have a couple of other ACPI tables that are mentioned in your config.plist.

To obtain copy of the ACPI Tables from your system:
  1. The ACPI Tables can be obtained by pressing the F4 key while on the Clover Boot Screen.
  2. The tables are saved in the background, with no evidence that anything is happening.
  3. So just leave the system for a around 30 seconds before doing anything such as booting from the USB installer or selecting your macOS drive.
  4. The ACPI tables will be written to the /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder on the USB or your macOS drive, whichever you are using to boot the system.
  5. Provide a copy of your /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Here is a revised CLOVER folder for you to try with your mixed 6/7 series system.
  • I have changed and added the SSDT's.
  • Removed two unused Ethernet kexts.
  • Revised the config.plist to better suit this system.
  • Changed the default boot theme to Catalina.
See if this gets you any further.

Post a screen image if the system kernel panics using this folder, so we can see what caused the KP.

Don't forget to post the ACPI tables requested above, as the current Clover folder uses some generic SSDT's, which can be improved from looking at your system's DSDT.aml.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Also I much preferred your other user icon from Tmx86. Not fussed on the crying baby!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The 2nd verbose text image in post #1 ends with the 'Still waiting for Root device' error message. Which usually happens when the USB port hand over from the Bios/Bootloader to the macOS installer fails, i.e. the USB pen drive containing the macOS installer can't be found because the USB port has been dropped during the handover.

I have had this happen on a few older systems. What I found is that if I quickly swap the USB pen drive from its current port to another USB2 port that the macOS installation continues.

Your motherboard has the following USB ports:
  • 8 x Intel USB2 ports (4 on the back panel, 4 via the internal USB headers) and
  • 2 x Renesas USB3 ports (on the back panel).
Don't use the USB3 ports for the macOS installation.

felixity

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
9600KF
GPU
RX 570

felixity

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
9600KF
GPU
RX 570
The 2nd verbose text image in post #1 ends with the 'Still waiting for Root device' error message.
I tried to find the lines you mentioned, in the pic after the blue one (2nd pic), somehow couldn't see it...

2 x Renesas USB3 ports (on the back panel).
Don't use the USB3 ports for the macOS installation.
From other posts around, it seems Renesas USB3 support was never possible?

Here is a revised CLOVER folder for you to try with your mixed 6/7 series system.
  • I have changed and added the SSDT's.
  • Removed two unused Ethernet kexts.
  • Revised the config.plist to better suit this system.
  • Changed the default boot theme to Catalina.
Thank you, much appreciated!

The Catalina boot theme is way better, thank you for the extra touch~

Can you post a copy of the ACPI tables from this system, as I need to check a couple of device locations and names in the DSDT.aml. I also want to see whether you have a couple of other ACPI tables that are mentioned in your config.plist.
I have tried to do my EC patch using SSDTTime patch, not sure if I need the HPET patch as well. I have included my own test here, but don't know how to update my plist with the new information. My attempt could be inaccurate anyway. With my own SSDT-EML.aml file it still hangs at apfs_module_start 1689.

my_own_SSDT.jpg

Also attached the origin.zip as per suggested, if you don't mind helping with the EC the patch :p.

Replaced the EFI with your folder, stuck at apfs, something to do with ACPI? See picture below:

Edhawk_EFI.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I can't create the SSDT-Time output and compare it to your folder contents, as the Origin folder doesn't contain a copy of your systems DSDT.aml.

All that needs to be added to the config.plist is the rename patches for the SSSDT-HPET.aml and the RTC and TMR patches, the latter tend to not change between systems. So the ones I added to the config in post #4 may be correct.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The screen images above were showing issues with the USB initialisation so I have amended a few of the USB settings in the config.plist. I have also removed USBInjectAll.kext as that was not being used.

I have added the SSDT-EC.aml and SSDT-HPET.aml from your Results folder. I have also edited the three config.plist rename patches associated with the SSDT-HPET.aml to match the patches in your Results folder.

The revised CLOVER folder attached below will hopefully work better.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Did the revised CLOVER folder help at all?

felixity

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
9600KF
GPU
RX 570
Did the revised CLOVER folder help at all?
Hi, sorry I haven't gotten back to you~
Been extremely busy for the past 2 weeks and I haven't had a chance to test anything. Will report the results in the next few days, thank you Edhawk ;)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Not a problem, I was just curious as to whether the folder works or not.