Cant Boot up for the first time

macOS
Mobo
ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
GPU
Evga GTX 1080ti FTW3
hello i followed all the steps on the forum below and when i try to boot up for the first time i get stuck on the apple logo with the bar 2/3 of the way full. Im not sure what is wrong does anyone have any ideas?

Thread: https://hackintosher.com/forums/thr...-rog-maximus-x-hero-z370-hackintosh-build.15/

My build:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero(WIFI AC)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200Mhz
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX1080ti FTW3
CPU: Intel i7 8700k
Windows Drives: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB (Bootdrive), WD 1TB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
Mac Drive: WD 500GB SSD (Bootdrive) High Sierra 10.13.6

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
This is a copy of the post I made in the other thread.

I've had a look at your EFI folder and made a number of changes to the attached CLOVER folder:
  1. Added EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-XOSI.aml,
  2. Added/updated/removed/some kexts that were not required for your system,
  3. Changed a couple of drivers in /CLOVER/drivers64UEFI
  4. Changed a number of elements in the config.plist:
    1. Added a number of DSDT rename patches,
    2. Added a couple of SSDT management fixes,
    3. Added PluginType=1
    4. Added a number of DSDT fixes
    5. Removed two CPU drop tables
    6. Changed the boot arguments, including adding nv_disable=1 so you can boot from the USB pen drive with your GTX 1080Ti installed.
    7. Adde a timeout of 5 seconds to your clover boot,
    8. set system to 'NeverHibinate'
    9. Changed the Fake ID for the Intel GFX
    10. Added a couple of Hide Volume names,
    11. Set language as English,
    12. Enabled Mouse
    13. Set Custom Scan for Entries and Tool
    14. Changed the ig-platform-id to suite UHD 630 Intel graphics
    15. Added and removed a number of KextsToPatch
    16. Changed the smbios to iMac 18,3, also checked serial with Apple Support
    17. Unselected NvidiaWeb option, as you don't have the drivers installed. This will need to be selected once you have the Nvidia Webdrivers installed.
I hope using this folder in place of your existing CLOVER folder enables you to boot your system.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
GPU
Evga GTX 1080ti FTW3
Am i able to just drag it into my efi folder on my usb and try the first boot again or will i have to re create the usb and attempt to install mac again with the new usb. im asking because i wont be able to try until later

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
Simply drag and drop the CLOVER folder in the EFI folder on your USB drive.

It will ask if you want to Merge or Replace the existing CLOVER folder, select Replace and it will be done.

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
GPU
Evga GTX 1080ti FTW3
Simply drag and drop the CLOVER folder in the EFI folder on your USB drive.

It will ask if you want to Merge or Replace the existing CLOVER folder, select Replace and it will be done.
It works now but i cant get my screen to get out of 1280x1024 resolution. im using a 2k dell monitor

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
How are you connecting your Dell monitor to the GPU, i.e. which cable/port?

What does your System Information > Graphics Display report tab show? This is my GTX980 Ti:

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 12.10.55.png

If the card is not being recognised correctly have you made sure the Nvidia webdrivers are up to date?

If your screen is similar to the one above, go to System Preferences > Displays.

You should see a screen something like this (the arrangement tab won't be visible when only one monitor is connected):

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 11.59.37.png

Select the 'Scaled' option to see what resolutions are available, you should see something like the screenshot below, where you can select alternative resolutions for your screen:

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 12.13.04.png

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
GPU
Evga GTX 1080ti FTW3
How are you connecting your Dell monitor to the GPU, i.e. which cable/port?

What does your System Information > Graphics Display report tab show? This is my GTX980 Ti:

View attachment 2028

If the card is not being recognised correctly have you made sure the Nvidia webdrivers are up to date?

If your screen is similar to the one above, go to System Preferences > Displays.

You should see a screen something like this (the arrangement tab won't be visible when only one monitor is connected):

View attachment 2027

Select the 'Scaled' option to see what resolutions are available, you should see something like the screenshot below, where you can select alternative resolutions for your screen:

View attachment 2029
This is what I see, from what it looks like the gpu isn't being picked up but the driver is updated. Could the driver be wrong?

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
That shows the Intel GPU is not loaded, which is not an issue if your GTX 1080 Ti was loaded. It doesn't say much about your Nvidia GPU. But as it shows Nvidia Chip Model, instead of GTX 1080 Ti, I would assume that the Nvidia Webdrivers are not being loaded by Clover. A screenshot of the Nvidia section of the System Information > Graphics/Display tab would be helpful to see what is happening with your Nvidia card.

You need to check that the 'NvidiaWeb' option is selected in your config.plist, see screenshot of Clover Configurator > System Parameters tab with the NvidiaWeb option highlighted/selected:

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 16.12.46.png

You also need to make sure you do not have 'nv_disable=1' added to your boot arguments in your config.plist.

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 16.21.39.png

Do you have WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kext installed to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other or within /Library/Extensions?

Have you checked the Nvidia Desktop menu icon to see what it says, it will tell you if you are using the Nvidia or the Default macOS drivers. I would assume you are using the Default macOS Drivers, see the screenshot below showing how the Nvidia Webdrivers are selected for my GTX 980Ti:

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 16.22.53.png

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
GPU
Evga GTX 1080ti FTW3
That shows the Intel GPU is not loaded, which is not an issue if your GTX 1080 Ti was loaded. It doesn't say much about your Nvidia GPU. But as it shows Nvidia Chip Model, instead of GTX 1080 Ti, I would assume that the Nvidia Webdrivers are not being loaded by Clover. A screenshot of the Nvidia section of the System Information > Graphics/Display tab would be helpful to see what is happening with your Nvidia card.

You need to check that the 'NvidiaWeb' option is selected in your config.plist, see screenshot of Clover Configurator > System Parameters tab with the NvidiaWeb option highlighted/selected:

View attachment 2035

You also need to make sure you do not have 'nv_disable=1' added to your boot arguments in your config.plist.

View attachment 2036

Do you have WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kext installed to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other or within /Library/Extensions?

Have you checked the Nvidia Desktop menu icon to see what it says, it will tell you if you are using the Nvidia or the Default macOS drivers. I would assume you are using the Default macOS Drivers, see the screenshot below showing how the Nvidia Webdrivers are selected for my GTX 980Ti:

View attachment 2037
this is what I'm seeing in my clover

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
Are you using the Clover folder I attached above in post No. 2?

The config.plist I included has more options set than is shown in the Clover Configurator screenshots you attached above.

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
GPU
Evga GTX 1080ti FTW3
Update, i found out i didnt mount the EFI folder correctly on the SSD, i fixed it and now the graphic drivers are all fixed. I have only one problem left.

When i let the Clover bootloader boot up by its self, the boot options are missing, the only way for me to get the boot options to appear is by pressing F8 as my computer boots and select the Clover Bootloader OS.

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
Check the boot order of your drives in your bios. These sometimes change unexpectedly. Your macOS drive should be first in the boot order.

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
GPU
Evga GTX 1080ti FTW3
Check the boot order of your drives in your bios. These sometimes change unexpectedly. Your macOS drive should be first in the boot order.
UEFI OS is always selected. But still only fully works when I press F8 before booting I attached a pictures to show you

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
Can I suggest you remove all disks other than your Hackintosh HD, boot with that drive connected only and see what difference it makes.

Also can you make sure that the Clover folder I provided is installed to the EFI partition of your Hackintosh HD or your USB installer drive if you are still using the installer drive to boot macOS High Sierra.

I have assumed that your Hackintosh HD is a Western Digital 500GB Hard Drive, not an SSD. That you formatted the WD drive as a HFS+ Guid partition drive, without specifying any specific number of partitions. So it only contains an EFI partition, Hackintosh HD partition and a Recovery partition.

Removing the Samsung Evo 970 SSD drive may be a pain but until you have macOS booting correctly from your Hackintosh HD any other drives are just going to complicate things while we troubleshoot this issue.

Let me know what changes with this single drive setup.

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
GPU
Evga GTX 1080ti FTW3
Can I suggest you remove all disks other than your Hackintosh HD, boot with that drive connected only and see what difference it makes.

Also can you make sure that the Clover folder I provided is installed to the EFI partition of your Hackintosh HD or your USB installer drive if you are still using the installer drive to boot macOS High Sierra.

I have assumed that your Hackintosh HD is a Western Digital 500GB Hard Drive, not an SSD. That you formatted the WD drive as a HFS+ Guid partition drive, without specifying any specific number of partitions. So it only contains an EFI partition, Hackintosh HD partition and a Recovery partition.

Removing the Samsung Evo 970 SSD drive may be a pain but until you have macOS booting correctly from your Hackintosh HD any other drives are just going to complicate things while we troubleshoot this issue.

Let me know what changes with this single drive setup.
I will try removing all the drives this weekend, i dont really have the time to do it right now.

The Boot Drive is an Wester Digital 500GB SSD and i formatted it as a HFS+ Guid partition drive. As far as i know it only contains an EFI partition, Hackintosh HD partition and a Recovery partition.

What im just realizing is when i open my Clover Configurator, under Mount EFI, i see the EFI partition, Hackintosh HD partition and a Recovery partition in the Partition Scheme box but under the EFI partitions i only see my Windows boot drive and "EFI on hackintosh, Recovery HD". When i Mounted the EFI folder i mounted it on the "EFI on hackintosh, Recovery HD" but now it looks like i can mount it again as if it wasn't already mounted. Is that normal? Ill attach a screenshot
Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 8.01.23 PM.png

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Geforce GTX 980TI
The Clover Configurator screenshot looks normal, when you have two disks and your Windows disk is connected to the first SATA port (port 0) or a PCI-E slot on the motherboard.

Your Hackintosh SSD is connected to the third SATA port (port 2).

I normally set my drives up so my macOS drive is the first drive in port 0 or if located in a PCI-E slot, my bios also usually sets it as Port 0. As that is the drive that has the EFI partition containing CLOVER.

Having looked at my Disk setup I have realised that the APFS format can mess the disk number up a bit. As the APFS Container can contain a number of Volumes, which then get issued different disk identifiers. In my case the APFS Container is disk 0 which has the EFI partition disk 0s1 and a partition called 'Untitled' disk 0s2. The macOS High Sierra, Preboot, Recovery and VM partitions are identified as disk 1s1, 1s2, 1s3, 1s4 respectively.

It also means that my macOS drive is top of the list of EFI partitions, see my list below:

Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 12.24.51.png

for future reference when trying to troubleshoot a problem it is always best to just have the one drive you are working on connected, so you can rule out any other drives as being part of the issue at the start of the troubleshooting process.

Adding the drives back in to the system one at a time can also highlight if there are any conflicts or setup issues that need to be resolved. Plugging all the drives back in at the same time can cause all sorts of issues in the bios and for Clover.