Can't Enable Hardware Encoding & HEVC Support for FCPX

someguy

macOS
Mobo
Aorus Gaming 5
CPU
GPU
GTX 970
I am running an Aorus Gaming 5 with 8700K on 10.13.4 The main use of my machine is video editing so this is of particular interest.

I followed this guide:
How to fix video rendering issues in FCPX High Sierra (Hardware Encoding & HEVC Support)

I did everything in there and could not get MacX Video Converter Pro to say I had Hardware Encoding enabled.

I then used the optional extra steps by adding the kexts IntelGraphicsFixup.kext & Lilu.kext to /Library/Extensions.

When that did not work I tried deleting those two kexts from the "Other" folder they were originally in since I figured maybe that helps.

Then I tried changing shikigva=12 to shikigva=16 as I saw suggested in the comments.

Then I tried disabling internal graphics as I saw someone suggested. No dice.

I cannot get hardware encoding to work at all. Help?

someguy

macOS
Mobo
Aorus Gaming 5
CPU
GPU
GTX 970
Update: Uninstalled and re-installed FCPX.

When I put shikigva from 16 to 12 then tried disabling internal graphics it resulted in a glitchy mess on my screen after the apple logo! Couldn't see anything!

Tried booting into the Bios after and....it ignored going straight to Clover. I was able to fix this by exiting clover to boot into windows, restarting and then I could get into BIOS.

From there I enabled internal graphics again and I was able to log in. Changed the value back from 16 to 12 and deleted IntelGraphicsFixup.kext & Lilu.kext from the EFI partition and downloaded the latest versions to put back in Library/Extensions then tried the fresh install of FCPX.

IT IS NOW WORSE than before. With FCPX open it is slow to even open the menus. I cancelled the BruceX test because it was way past the 42 seconds I was getting.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

someguy

macOS
Mobo
Aorus Gaming 5
CPU
GPU
GTX 970
Update: Back to regular "okay" performance by doing everything in the guide again. Still no hardware encoding unfortunately.

Edit: Maybe it has to do with the fact that I am on 10.133.4? Or maybe the GTX 970 isn't compatible?

Last edited:

someguy

macOS
Mobo
Aorus Gaming 5
CPU
GPU
GTX 970
Would it be more useful if I uploaded any files for someone to look at to help get my integrated graphics/HEVC and hardware encoding working? :geek: