cyberdevs

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z170X-Gaming 5
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K
GPU
Asus Strix Gaming RX 580 TOP
I've followed this guide to create the flash drive installer.
https://hackintosher.com/guides/amd-ryzen-hackintosh-guide-installing-macos-high-sierra-10-13/

I've followed all the step to Part 1.3.
But when I open the flash drive for Part 1.4, there is no .IABootFiles folder in it.
Any suggestion by what this is caused and how to correct it please?

All your help and advice is very much appreciated.

Best Regards
Make sure that you use the latest clover installed on your device or which will be able to detect the boot file for macOS installer and If you use the latest High Sierra installer this folder and the boot.efi file will be added automatically.
You can also add the .IABootFiles with the following steps:

cd /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra

Note: (Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra is the name of the USB installer disk you might need to change it if your USB installer is named differently)

mkdir .IABootFiles
cd .IABootFiles
cp /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

Usman

macOS
Mobo
ASRock AB350 Pro4
CPU
Ryzen 5 1600
GPU
RX 550 2GB
Make sure that you use the latest clover installed on your device or which will be able to detect the boot file for macOS installer and If you use the latest High Sierra installer this folder and the boot.efi file will be added automatically.
You can also add the .IABootFiles with the following steps:

cd /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra

Note: (Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra is the name of the USB installer disk you might need to change it if your USB installer is named differently)

mkdir .IABootFiles
cd .IABootFiles
cp /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
Thank you very much for taking time to reply to this!

I have downloaded the latest version of High Sierra (10.13.6).

But I am confused by the solution you proposed.

As I mentioned I'm following this guide and I'm stuck on step below:
Open the flash drive you made in Step 1 Install macOS High Sierra you to see a bunch of semi transparent folders. These are the hidden folders we will be making changes to.
The Clover Configurator you mentioned is in the guide a few steps after the part where I'm stuck.
Are you suggesting that I manually create the folder and follow the rest of the guide?

Thanks again for your help!

cyberdevs

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z170X-Gaming 5
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K
GPU
You're welcome, but I didn't wrote that guide :)

You need to know that the Clover ( The EFI Bootloader) and Clover Configurator are two separate applications. Clover in general is the boot loader which makes us able to boot into macOS on any given PC and Clover Configurator is an app which allows us to edit the config.plist which is a file that contains the settings for your hardware and Clover will use it to loads the necessary settings from it so clover can boot into macOS.

If you are not able to see the hidden files open your USB disk in finder, press " Command+Shift+. " keys at the same time which will make hide files visible by the OS and then replace the files mentioned in the guide to make it bootable for your Ryzen hack.
AMD CPUs are not supported by macOS so you need to take some extra steps in order to make it work.

Now, back to the issue, when you use the combination keys I just mentioned do you see the "semi transparent" files and folders? if so just follow the rest on the guide.

Usman

macOS
Mobo
ASRock AB350 Pro4
CPU
Ryzen 5 1600
GPU
RX 550 2GB

cyberdevs

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z170X-Gaming 5
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K
GPU
Following the guide I am indeed able to see the hidden files and folders. But as you can see in the screenshot below I don't have all the folders that the guide suggests I should have.

All the files and folders the Installer Folder should have according to the guide.

I'm missing two folders and one file in my Installer compared to the guide.
In macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (Edit: I previously said 10.13.5 and I just edited my statement) and above apple changed the path of the boot.efi follow the rest of the guide and you'll be able to boot from the USB disk normally.
I guess the screenshot in the guide was made from earlier versions of High Sierra. Just make sure to use the latest Clover boot loader ;)

Last edited:

Usman

macOS
Mobo
ASRock AB350 Pro4
CPU
Ryzen 5 1600
GPU
RX 550 2GB
I would follow the rest of the guide, but the problem is that the next step is the following.
2.2. Adding the AMD Patched Kernel
Now we are going to start copy pasting files from a downloadable folder to the USB Flash drive

1. Download Ryzen_Kernel_10.13.zip
  2. Unzip Ryzen_Kernel_10.13
  3. Navigate to Ryzen_Kernel_10.13/PreInstall/Prelinkedkernel/
  4. Copy prelinkedkernel (The file not folder)
  5. We are going to use this patched version of prelinkedkernel to replace the existing Apple ones on the Install macOS High Sierra. Paste & replace prelinkedkernel in the following locations:
    1. /Volumes/Install macOS High Sierra/.IABootFiles/
    2. /Volumes/Install macOS High Sierra/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/
  6. Navigate back to the Ryzen_Kernel_10.13 folder
  7. Copy PreInstall & PostInstall folders
  8. Paste them on the flash drive /Volumes/Install macOS High Sierra/
So unless I have the missing folder I'm unable to proceed with the rest of the guide.

Are you perhaps able to suggest a different guide that I could try for my system and 10.13.6 installer please?

And if I do follow the rest of the guide as you suggested, do I skip the step I have quoted completely or there's some extra step to cover this up?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The issue is likely to be the way you created your USB installer drive. Or a problem that occurred during the installer's creation.

I would suggest you create a new installer, using the 'CreateInstallMedia' terminal method. Download and run the terminal command in the attached file.

If you have the High Sierra installation app in Applications it should go through the process of creating a new installation on your existing USB, formatting/wiping the USB as part of the process.

When the new USB installer is finished close Terminal and open your USB drive. if you have set macOS to show hidden files you should be able to see the IABootFiles folder and continue with the AMD Ryzen USB setup.

Attachments

cyberdevs

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z170X-Gaming 5
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K
GPU
@Edhawk
As I mentioned earlier ever since macOS 10.13.4 Apple has change the path of the boot files which was the .IABootFiles in the root of the USB installer to /Volumes/Install macOS High Sierra/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi, so there won't be any .IABootFiles folder anymore if you create the USB disk with High Sierra 10.13.4 and above it doesn't matter which method you use the folder simply won't be there.

@Usman
You can either create the USB disk for macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 or earlier or you might find your answer here

Usman

macOS
Mobo
ASRock AB350 Pro4
CPU
Ryzen 5 1600
GPU
RX 550 2GB
The issue is likely to be the way you created your USB installer drive. Or a problem that occurred during the installer's creation.

I would suggest you create a new installer, using the 'CreateInstallMedia' terminal method. Download and run the terminal command in the attached file.

If you have the High Sierra installation app in Applications it should go through the process of creating a new installation on your existing USB, formatting/wiping the USB as part of the process.

When the new USB installer is finished close Terminal and open your USB drive. if you have set macOS to show hidden files you should be able to see the IABootFiles folder and continue with the AMD Ryzen USB setup.
For the USB Installer I've used this guide that is included in the main guide I'm following.
It's the same process you suggested and I have already tried twice to get the Installer, but with same results (missing files & folders).

I have also formatted the USB again and tried the method you suggested, but it is still same results (missing same files & folders).

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
@ Cyberdevs, sorry I misunderstood your initial post.

I now understand that Usman needs to install 10.13.3 or earlier for the .IABootFiles folder to be present on the root of the usb installer. It is nothing to do with the way the installer was created but rather that Apple have changed the installer for 10.13.4 and later.

Usman

macOS
Mobo
ASRock AB350 Pro4
CPU
Ryzen 5 1600
GPU
RX 550 2GB
Ok. So how do I get the installer image for 10.13.3?

cyberdevs

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z170X-Gaming 5
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K
GPU
@ Cyberdevs, sorry I misunderstood your initial post.

I now understand that Usman needs to install 10.13.3 or earlier for the .IABootFiles folder to be present on the root of the usb installer. It is nothing to do with the way the installer was created but rather that Apple have changed the installer for 10.13.4 and later.
No worries, it's ok man :)
Well that might be a little bit hard since Apple always keeps the latest installer in App Store.
But what I suggest is that you try to create the .IABootFiles folder like I said in my first post, which honestly I'm not sure if that's gonna work because installing macOS on AMD based machines requires a customized version of the prelikedkernel file and I'm not quite sure if it's still available.
At this point your best chance is to ask the guys in the topic I posted earlier on insanelymac.com I'm sure you will find your answer there.

Another thing is that as far as I know the attached files on the guide that you are following will only work on macOS High Sierra 10.13 because with each updated the Prelinkedkernel file will change so you'll need to update that file as well for the installer to be able to boot.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB

Hackintosher

Administrator
macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i3-8100
GPU
UHD 630 Graphics
Here is 10.13.3:

https://hackintosher.com/forums/thread/cant-find-iabootfiles-in-flash-drive-installer.460/post-2865

Download it, unzip it verify it's a .app file (if it's .dmg mount it and then you will see the .app version) Move the Install macOS High Sierra.app to /Applications folder replacing the existing one.

I haven't updated that guide in awhile but I should to clarify a few things:

I recommend everyone build the installer off High Sierra 10.13.3 for the most workable Ryzen Hackintosh with the least tinkering needed and so that you don't have to deal with the .IABootFiles issue.

As a result of Apple not releasing the sources for High Sierra 10.13.4+ which the patched Ryzen kernel relies on getting Ryzen to work on any update after 10.13.3 is difficult. 10.13.4-10.13.5 can be gotten working with a little extra work but 10.13.6 is completely unusable with Ryzen.

Last edited:

Usman

macOS
Mobo
ASRock AB350 Pro4
CPU
Ryzen 5 1600
GPU
RX 550 2GB
I ended up using an installer.
Thank you very much all for your help :).

Usman

macOS
Mobo
ASRock AB350 Pro4
CPU
Ryzen 5 1600
GPU
RX 550 2GB
The installer I mentioned in the above post worked well to install macOS on my system. But I couldn't mount my HDD EFI.

So I came back and followed cyberdevs & Hackintosher advice. Downloaded High Sierra 10.13.3 from the link Hackintosher provided. Was able to find the .IABootFiles folder and follow the rest of the guide to install macOS.

Really want to thank everybody for their help. Especially cyberdevs who was pointing at this solution from the start. Thanks mate!

cyberdevs

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z170X-Gaming 5
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K
GPU
The installer I mentioned in the above post worked well to install macOS on my system. But I couldn't mount my HDD EFI.

So I came back and followed cyberdevs & Hackintosher advice. Downloaded High Sierra 10.13.3 from the link Hackintosher provided. Was able to find the .IABootFiles folder and follow the rest of the guide to install macOS.

Really want to thank everybody for their help. Especially cyberdevs who was pointing at this solution from the start. Thanks mate!
You're welcome man :)

Latest posts