Catalina 10.15.2 update hangs on Apple logo (esxi vm)

Kaku

macOS
So I managed to get a Catalina 10.15 vm up and running in ESXi 6.7u2. When I try to install Catalina updates, however, it goes to the Apple logo, status bar crawls just a bit, reboots again and hangs on the Apple logo. To fix this, I either remove or disable "Mac OS" as an option in the bootloader. Is there a way to get these updates to install?

Can Clover fix this? I am just learning about it and it seems to have potential.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
You need to select the 'Install MacOS from 'Name of Drive' - DATA' option. You need to keep selecting this Install from DATA icon as long as it keeps appearing on your Clover boot screen. When the installation process has finished the icon will disapear from the Clover boot screen. Then you can select your normal macOS Catalina icon to boot and finish the update installation.

Kaku

macOS
I just installed clover but not sure what to do next. Is there a doc I can follow for exactly this issue?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Questions/clarifications required:
  1. Where have you installed Clover?
    • To the EFI partition of the macOS drive?
  2. Which mode did you use when installing Clover?
    • Legacy Mode or
    • UEFI mode?
  3. Do you know which kexts (drivers) you need for your system?
  4. Do you know which efi drivers you need to include?
  5. Have you got a working config.plist that you can add to the /EFI/CLOVER folder?
You need to complete the information in your signature/system details, so anyone looking at this post knows which motherboard, CPU and graphics card you are using to run Catalina.

Kaku

macOS
Is my motherboard relevant given I’m running this as a VM? When I mount the EFI, I only see a single file two sub folders down. I’ll have more info exactly what is there soon.

Kaku

macOS
When I open my mounted EFI partition, all I see is:

EFI\Apple\Extensions\firmware.scap and nothing more.

ESXI 6.7u2 reports the physical host is a OptiPlex 7050
CPU4 CPUs x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700T CPU @ 2.90GHz
Memory 31.88 GB

Question - I used unlocker 2.1 to get this going. Should I have used version 3.0+?

(btw, thanks for your help here...)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I have no knowledge of Unlocker, what it does or how to use it, so no idea if you should have used v2.1 or 3.0+

Look on the root of the macOS drive/VM, you may have another EFI folder (legacy mode) saved there.

If the EFI folder is on the root of the drive/VM it should contain the BOOT and CLOVER folders. The later being where any SSDT's, drivers, kexts and config.plist reside, within the appropriate sub-folder.

The important information you provided above is as follows:
  1. CPU - Kaby Lake
    1. IGPU - HD 630
    2. Device ID: 0x5912
  2. Ethernet - Intel I219-V
  3. WiFi/BT - Intel 8265 M.2 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.2 card - This will never work in macOS
  4. Audio - Realtek ALCxxxx (codec unknown)
  5. USB - Assumed Intel controller.
All of these components bar the WiFi/BT card require kexts or specific settings to function correclty in macOS. Even in a VM.

Start with the following in your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder (when you find it!):
  • Lilu.kext - Enabler kext
  • AppleALC.kext - Realtek Audio Codec (Add-on kext for Lilu.kext does nothing without Lilu)
  • WhateverGreen.kext - Graphics fixes (Add-on kext for Lilu.kext does nothing without Lilu)
  • FakeSMC.kext - Only really essential kext for macOS
  • USBInjectAll.kext - Enabler kext for Intel USB ports
  • XHCI-unsupported.kext - Enabler kext for Intel USB ports on Series 100, 200 and 300 chipsets
  • IntelMausiEthernet.kext - for your Intel I219-V Lan port
The kexts can be downloaded from links on this site - https://hackintosher.com/downloads/kexts/

I have attached a Kaby Lake friendly CLOVER folder and config.plist, along with the kexts, efi drivers and a few SSDT's that should work for your system. Replace the existing CLOVER folder, when you find it, with the one attached (rename the one attached CLOVER) and see how you get on.

Attachments

Kaku

macOS
Thank you for this.

I looked for an EFI folder on the root of Untitled (my hdd) and don’t see it.

I just see the following folders:

Applications
Library
System
Users

Any other places I should look?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Are you using a USB drive to boot macOS? if yes, then that is where the /EFI/CLOVER folder will be located. Could be on the Root of the USB or on the EFI partition.

If any of the VM's on your system have an EFI partition I would look at those for the /EFI/CLOVER folder. As it may be that the Clover installation used another location than the one(s) expected or normally used.

Kaku

macOS
No USB, the VM boots on its own.

I think I need to figure out how to mount “Untitled-Data” and not just “Untitled” as the Mac seems to want to default to when I enable hdds view in Finder.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Ok, sorry I'm not a Esxi VM user so my knowledge is limited.

Latest posts