macOS
Mobo
Dell M4800
CPU
Intel i7 2.69GHz
GPU
NVIDIA Quadro K1100M 2048 MB
Hello..

I have a Dell M4800 (Specs attached - along with config.plist. I hope that's enough?).

I have two SSD internal drives - one with Catalina, one with elCapitan (as a fallback). Both work fine (couple of things e.g. sleep not possible, mouse suddenly failing sometimes, but nothing fatal).

In the Optical Drive Bay I have a caddy holding a 3rd drive (for Data storage).

The problem is…
Booting into el Capitan, any drive installed in that Bay behaves perfectly - excellent speed in and out.
But Catalina reads any of those same drives in that Bay really, really slow - slow to recognise and list folders and files, and impossibly slow to open and save to them - beachball spinning for ages… Makes the drive unusable in Catalina.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's anything I could try to solve this?

Many thanks.

(And of course, curing Sleep would be a very welcome bonus)!

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I assume the drive in the caddy is formatted HFS+, the same as the El Capitan drive. The Catalina drive will be formatted APFS (this is enforced as part of the installation of macOS).

From the information you provided I would question what HFS driver(s) do you have in the El Capitan setup, that you do not have in the Catalina installation?

Glenn_UK

macOS
Mobo
Dell M4800
CPU
Intel i7 2.69GHz
GPU
Very sorry - I thought I'd postrdf this on Tuesday. Failed maybe because I'd tried to attach a zip file?
Here is what I had meant to post....

Tuesday 27 October 2020

EdHawk… thank you very much for giving your time on this. I’m sorry to say I am a real amateur of the lowest rank and am surprised to have got as far as I have…!

You’re right in thinking the El Capitan drive and the Bay-inserted drive are both HFS+; and Catalina is APFS.

I hope the attached might help you possibly see something that could be playing a part in this problem?

I should add to my previous that Catalina can read and write perfectly to the El Capitan drive (HFS+).

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Have you tried booting the El Capitan disk with your Catalina Clover? I assume the two OS's appear on the Catalina Clover boot screen. I am wondering if that makes any difference to the how the drive installed in the caddy works with El Capitan.

Are you disabling the Nvidia Quadro K1100m in Catalina? As you seem to have it enabled in your El Capitan Clover.

You don't need the Nvidia Web Drivers for this Kepler series discrete GPU as it has been natively supported in macOS since Mountain Lion or Mavericks.

In fact I installed one of these Dell K1100m 2GB GPU's in a real iMac mid-2010, upgrading the crap 512mb AMD HD 5670 dGPU. I didn't need to add the Web Drivers for the K1100m to work in High Sierra with full acceleration.

I went through both folders and while there are some settings that I find peculiar in your Catalina config.plist. I am not going to suggest you change anything at this time, if your El Capitan config.plist is similar.

On another matter, I would like to see both CLOVER folders, to compare them and see if they can be tweaked to perform a bit better. We may come up with a single CLOVER folder that works better with both OS's.

You might also look at upgrading the version of Clover you are running, as it is probably a pre-r5000 version of Clover, as the folder structure changed, with the /CLOVER/drivers64 and /CLOVER/drivers64UEFI being replaced with the /CLOVER/drivers/BIOS and /CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folders respectively.

Glenn_UK

macOS
Mobo
Dell M4800
CPU
Intel i7 2.69GHz
GPU
Edhawk, thanks again for your support.

Booting: I always boot from the Catalina drive for both, selecting from the 5170 Clover screen. (I can boot into elCapitan using the Legacy option I used (knowing no better) to install it - but never need to do that now).

Nvidia. I've had no problem with the Video (using Nvidia, non dual in BIOS). I don't remember how I came to set it up as I have, but it did solve initial No Display problem.

Something else I that might be significant: Catalina Disk Utility shows the Bay Drive as Internal Physical SATA, but elCapitan shows it as External USB.

config.plists - yes I'm not surprised you say there's something odd. elCapitan boots really fast, but Catalina is rather slow (40secs plus) - but I'm nervous about changing what I don't really understand, only to end up with a broken system.
If you are able to tidy that up, i'm sure it can be much improved.

I hope the Clovers attach ok... (I'll send in separate posts, in case too large together)....

Attachments