CPU
i5 9400 f
GPU
R9 280
Hi Guys, SuperNoob here !

My Hardware: Gigabyte Z390M Gaming
i5 9400F
Sapphire R9 280

Completed the USB build, i am not sure what the error is, i set below herein my Plist, initial boot messages, prompt to run Catalina and the final st of messages that appear before my monitor losses signal. Any help or guide would be much appreciated. Thank you.

The kexts and drivers which i downloaded were from the links provided by the Guide in https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-

My EFI
Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 5.15.28 PM.png

Sample Plist i took from the downloaded OpenCore 0.6.6 Debug. I am not sure if the Plist should be generating the below highlighted message, I used the sample Plist as per the guide.

Plist
Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 5.17.27 PM.png

Initial Boot Message
Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 5.11.20 PM.png

Prompt to Run catalina

I did not choose anything, the install ran by itself
Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 5.11.49 PM.png

Final Screen
Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 5.13.26 PM.png

Thought it was done when i saw the line DSMOS HAs ARRIVED ! I can see that the message is prompting me to do something for the External GPU, but noob is a noob.

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
The warning lines at the beginning of the sample.plist file are standard and just for info (not generated). Most people just delete them.

The link you have provided is 404. Attache a zip of your EFI.

oldtimer05

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390M gaming
CPU
i5 9400 f
GPU
R9 280
The warning lines at the beginning of the sample.plist file are standard and just for info (not generated). Most people just delete them.

The link you have provided is 404. Attache a zip of your EFI.
Thank you for your reply.

Ok, i will ignore the warning messages for now.

Attached herein is the zip of my EFI. Please take a look at it.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Your CPU lacks a number of instruction sets that may be required to run the newer versions of macOS such as Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur. See this extract from the Anti-Hackintosh buyers guide.

Screenshot 2021-03-05 at 16.49.17.png

You might be pushing your luck trying to install Big Sur on this old system (2009 Yorkfield CPU & G41 Motherboard).

In my opinion you would be better served trying to install macOS El Capitan, Sierra or High Sierra on this system, as they are more likely to contain some compatible kexts/drivers for your old components. However that is just my opinion, you can try to install Big Sur, but expect some issues.

You need to disable the Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 in your bios, as to my knowledge the GMA X4500 is not supported in macOS. It was supported natively in OS X Leopard 10.5.x but not in anything since.

So I would recommend you disable the GMA X4500 and use your discrete Graphics card for all graphics related processes.

This also means you need to use a SMBIOS for a system that doesn't contain an integrated GPU, something like the iMac Pro1,1 or Mac Pro6,1 or MP7,1., if you stick to one of the newer versions of macOS. You can use the older Mac Pro 5.1 SMBIOS with El Capitan, Sierra and High Sierra.

Here is a link to the Anti-buyers guide - https://dortania.github.io/Anti-Hackintosh-Buyers-Guide/CPU.html#cpus-to-avoid

Here is a link to the TrashOS GitHub page (for older systems) - https://github.com/khronokernel/trashOS

I would recommend you read both before you make a commitment to installing Big Sur.

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
One other thing:

You need to set your OC folder to boot in Legacy mode, I.e. you need a 'boot' file in the root of your EFI folder, alongside the OC and Boot folders. I am pretty sure you have done this but the Boot file was missing from the EFI when I downloaded it, so maybe not.

If you used the Clarkdale setup with your Yorkfield system I think you used the wrong setup. You would be better served using the Penryn setup and using the limitations stated with that system as a guide for your system. As the Penryn series is a closer match to your Yorkfield CPU than the newer Clarkdale series, which contains some of the early i3, i5 and i7 series of CPU's.

See this Legacy guide - https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/penryn.html

Railgun

macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
Edhawk, in 1st post he stated i5 9400F... coffee lake and Z390M mobo.

oldtimer05, you should change the info under your avatar... to what you are currently building.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Doh!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Doh!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I'll have another look at the EFI folder with the correct System in mind this time!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I have made a few changes to the OC folder, which I hope will help, they are as follows:
  1. Added OpenCanopy.efi to /OC/drivers folder, for OC GUI
  2. Added IntelMausi.kext to /OC/Kexts folder for your motherboard's ethernet
  3. Added populated Audio, Font, Image and Label sub-folders to /OC/Resources folder for OC GUI
  4. Added ClearNvram.efi and ResetSystem.efi to /OC/Tools folder
I have made the following changes to your config.plist:
  • Removed all the unnecessary placeholder entries from the config, hang over from Sample.plist.
  • Ran ProperTree Clean Snapshot function to add the tools, kexts and drivers added previously to the OC folders so they were included in the config.plist.
  • Misc > Boot > PickerMode changed from Builtin to External for OC GUI
  • Misc > Debug > AppleWatchDog changed from False to True, as recommended by OC guide
  • Misc > Debug >Target changed from 67 to 0
  • NVRAM > Add - removed alcid=1 boot argument, as layout-id already set in Device Properties
  • NVRAM > Add - added shikigva=128 boot argument for DRM playback
  • NVRAM > Add - Changed SIP from Enabled <00000000> to partially disabled for kexts <03000000>
  • NVRAM > Add - changed previous-lang:kbd - Data - <>, to String - en-US:0
So not a lot of changes, but hopefully enough for you to boot the system, with a friendlier GUI.

Attachments

oldtimer05

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390M gaming
CPU
i5 9400 f
GPU
R9 280
Edhawk, in 1st post he stated i5 9400F... coffee lake and Z390M mobo.

oldtimer05, you should change the info under your avatar... to what you are currently building.
Sorry about that. I will change it. My bad.

oldtimer05

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390M gaming
CPU
i5 9400 f
GPU
R9 280
I have made a few changes to the OC folder, which I hope will help, they are as follows:
  1. Added OpenCanopy.efi to /OC/drivers folder, for OC GUI
  2. Added IntelMausi.kext to /OC/Kexts folder for your motherboard's ethernet
  3. Added populated Audio, Font, Image and Label sub-folders to /OC/Resources folder for OC GUI
  4. Added ClearNvram.efi and ResetSystem.efi to /OC/Tools folder
I have made the following changes to your config.plist:
  • Removed all the unnecessary placeholder entries from the config, hang over from Sample.plist.
  • Ran ProperTree Clean Snapshot function to add the tools, kexts and drivers added previously to the OC folders so they were included in the config.plist.
  • Misc > Boot > PickerMode changed from Builtin to External for OC GUI
  • Misc > Debug > AppleWatchDog changed from False to True, as recommended by OC guide
  • Misc > Debug >Target changed from 67 to 0
  • NVRAM > Add - removed alcid=1 boot argument, as layout-id already set in Device Properties
  • NVRAM > Add - added shikigva=128 boot argument for DRM playback
  • NVRAM > Add - Changed SIP from Enabled <00000000> to partially disabled for kexts <03000000>
  • NVRAM > Add - changed previous-lang:kbd - Data - <>, to String - en-US:0
So not a lot of changes, but hopefully enough for you to boot the system, with a friendlier GUI.
Omg thank you. Thank you Edhawk for taking a look at it and making the changes. Some of those changes i did make, but it could be that i forgot to save.

I will try this efi. Thank you, thank you. Really appreciate helping me out.

oldtimer05

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390M gaming
CPU
i5 9400 f
GPU
R9 280

.......... hopefully enough for you to boot the system, with a friendlier GUI.
Hi Edhawk, there is progress, thanks to you. But after a couple of lines, there is no visual as before. Any suggestions ?

Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 11.51.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 11.52.40 PM.png

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I have a feeling this is due to the Discrete GPU. In that the R9 280X dGPU works in macOS out of the Box (OOB) but the R9 280 (non-X variant) doesn't, even though they are really closely matched.

What we need to do is add an SSDT-GPU-Spoof.aml to your setup, as explained in this OC guide - https://dortania.github.io/Getting-Started-With-ACPI/Universal/spoof.html.
  • Your R9 280 dGPU has a device-id=0x679A,
  • The R9 280X dGPU device-id=0x6798.
We would need to use the R9 280X device id in the SSDT, but add the correct name for the R9 280 card, just cosmetic, so macOS reports the correct dGPU name.

That is the easy part, which I have already done within the SSDT-GPU-Spoof.dsl table I downloaded from the OC GPU spoof page.

What I need you to do is confirm the ACPI address of the R9 280, using Windows or Linux as described in the guide linked above. This information is then added to the SSDT, so it works with your card with the correct address (port address).

Can you provide a screen snip of the windows shown in there guide from your installation of Windows 10? Alternatively provide the information from a Linux Live USB, Ubuntu is probably easiest to use if you go down the Linux path.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
When I told you previously that the R9 280 was supported out of the box, this was based on an AMD GPU guide over at Tonymacx86, which I have never seen to be wrong previously - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/.

This is the table I referred to when checking your R9 280 cards compatibility:

Screenshot 2021-03-06 at 17.15.03.png

I suppose things have changed since this was first published. As Apple never used the non-X variant of the card it is possible the device id for your R9 280 was removed from the AMD kexts/drivers in more recent releases of macOS.

oldtimer05

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390M gaming
CPU
i5 9400 f
GPU
R9 280
When I told you previously that the R9 280 was supported out of the box, this was based on an AMD GPU guide over at Tonymacx86, which I have never seen to be wrong previously - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/.

This is the table I referred to when checking your R9 280 cards compatibility:

View attachment 11017

I suppose things have changed since this was first published. As Apple never used the non-X variant of the card it is possible the device id for your R9 280 was removed from the AMD kexts/drivers in more recent releases of macOS.

Ok. thank you for taking the trouble to check on the compatibility. i take it that you were teaching me to fake id the r9 280.

From your advise as there seems to be no support for the r9 280 at the moment, does this mean that i cant use this card at all or it still can be id faked or flashed.

If i still can, then i will obtain the ACPI address, i did get captures of this card from the GPUz when i tried the card in windows, hope there is something in that capture, But please let me know if the card is still possible. thanks.

Last edited:
macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390M gaming
CPU
i5 9400 f
GPU
R9 280
Changed the device iD

fake id  R9 280.PNG

Obtained the ACPI and input in the DSDT

ACPI as per report.PNG

But i am getting errors instead of creating the DSDT. I believe there is incorrect info in the ACPI, as from what i have searched there should be alphabets instead of the numbers.

Gotta get into a windows again !!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Yes, I was showing you how to fake the ID for your R9 280 dGPU. With this simple fix your card should work the same as the R9 280X card. There is no need to purchase another dGPU.

For clarity here is a link to a guide about AMD dGPU compatibility, it is fairly old but it covers all the cards we have been discussing - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/. The guide covers a number of AMD/ATI cards from the HD5000-series up to and including the Vega56/64-series of cards.

The R9 290X is not mentioned, that doesn't mean it isn't supported, just that it might also require a Fake ID or possibly a Framebuffer patch to get it to work with macOS. Searching that Thread may show some details about the

The DSDT doesn't contain the ACPI address of the graphics card, well not the full address. That is only created and shown when the system boots with the card installed in one of the PCIe Slots and it is not shown in the DSDT.

I am going to assume that with WhateverGreen.kext installed your R9 280 card and made it so the ACPI address is (\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP). I have added the fake ID for Rx 280X to the SSDT-GPU-R9-280-Spoof.aml within the attached EFI for you to try, see where that gets you.

I have made sure the SSDT is also named in the /EFI/OC/config, plist.

Attachments