Catalina: Stuck at apfs_sysctl_register:1176:done registering sysctls

fbotalla

macOS
I have a Dell Latitude e5540 Intel Core 7. To my understanding this laptop supports installations of OS Catalina on it. The issue is when the clover runs it gets stuck at this part and then I get sort of a "STOP" symbol and the text goes blurry. I have looked over many forums to find this clover, specifically here: https://hackintosher.com/forums/thread/dell-latitude-e5540-first-time-hackintosher.5655/

I am having the hardest time with this. I am not sure where to turn anymore. Any help would honestly be very appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Boot in Verbose mode, i.e. add the -v boot argument to the config.plist. You should also add these two boot arguments debug=0x100 and keepsysm=1 if they are not already present.

Take a photo of the kernel panic and post it here so we can see the issue you are facing.

fbotalla

macOS
Boot in Verbose mode, i.e. add the -v boot argument to the config.plist. You should also add these two boot arguments debug=0x100 and keepsysm=1 if they are not already present.

Take a photo of the kernel panic and post it here so we can see the issue you are facing.
Thank you so much for taking the time to help. Sorry, I am super novice at this. This would be my first time playing around with hackintosh, so i havent really played around with the clover. Here are the screenshots of what i am getting.

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The Kernel Panic shown in the second screen shot is 'Still waiting for Root Device'.

This is a common issue where the USB Drive containing the macOS installer is not handed over to the installer from the Bios. This is caused by the USB port the installer is plugged in to not being activated as part of the macOS installation. Apple have a 15 port limit for USB ports. If the port you are using is not one of the 15 ports activated by macOS then this issue arises.

You need to check that you have done the following:
  1. Used a USB 2 pen drive for the macOS installer
  2. Plugged the macOS installer in to a USB2 port
  3. Added USBInjectAll.kext and XHCI-unsupported.kext to your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
  4. Added the XHCI to XHC rename patch to your config.plist
  5. Added the EHC1 to EH01 and EHC2 to EH02 rename patches if you have a Haswell system.
  6. Added the two USB port limit patches for Catalina to your config.plist
  7. Enabled Inject USB=true and FixOwnership=true in your config.plist.
I tried downloading and checking your CLOVER folder in post #1, but it has not been saved in a compatible format for macOS to unZip the folder. So I have no idea if you have any of the points made above in your Clover folder or config.plist.

Also Catalina requires that you have an SSDT-EC.aml installed to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder. This SSDT should contain the details for the EmbeddedControl (EC) device in your system DSDT.

This fix may also require a rename patch, usually one of these two for a desktop system:
  • change EC0 to EC
  • change H_EC to EC
Some laptops required this rename patch:
  • change ECDV to EC
Hope this gives you something to work with.

fbotalla

macOS
The Kernel Panic shown in the second screen shot is 'Still waiting for Root Device'.

This is a common issue where the USB Drive containing the macOS installer is not handed over to the installer from the Bios. This is caused by the USB port the installer is plugged in to not being activated as part of the macOS installation. Apple have a 15 port limit for USB ports. If the port you are using is not one of the 15 ports activated by macOS then this issue arises.

3. Added USBInjectAll.kext and XHCI-unsupported.kext to your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
  5. Added the EHC1 to EH01 and EHC2 to EH02 rename patches if you have a Haswell system.
I tried downloading and checking your CLOVER folder in post #1, but it has not been saved in a compatible format for macOS to unZip the folder. So I have no idea if you have any of the points made above in your Clover folder or config.plist.

Also Catalina requires that you have an SSDT-EC.aml installed to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder. This SSDT should contain the details for the EmbeddedControl (EC) device in your system DSDT.

This fix may also require a rename patch, usually one of these two for a desktop system:
  • change EC0 to EC
  • change H_EC to EC
  • change ECDV to EC

Thank you for your help. I will try your suggestions this evening. I will also send the CLOVER.zip updated for macOS.

fbotalla

macOS

• change EC0 to EC
  • change H_EC to EC
  • change ECDV to EC
I think I worked out 1 through 4 ( I think I did it correctly) Not too sure how to do 6 and 7 to be completely honest. Also I think I installed the SSDT-EC.aml corretly into the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder. The other steps I cannot seem to figure out. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Questions:
  1. Did you just use the CLOVER folder and revised config.plist from the thread you linked in post #1? This worked with the system it was created for, as attested by Bceagles2010.
  2. Have you changed it in any way?
  3. Have you provided your system's ACPI tables in the /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder?
  4. Or are they the tables from Bceagles2010's system?

fbotalla

macOS
Questions:
  1. Did you just use the CLOVER folder and revised config.plist from the thread you linked in post #1? This worked with the system it was created for, as attested by Bceagles2010.
  2. Have you changed it in any way?
  3. Have you provided your system's ACPI tables in the /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder?
  4. Or are they the tables from Bceagles2010's system?
Thank you for continue helping me in this process.
1. Yes.
2. I did not change anything.
3. I have not, sorry very novice here, not too sure what I would need to do.
4. Most likely the tables from Bceagles2010's system.

Do you I need to change anything in the ACPI tables?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
To obtain the ACPI files from your system you need to do the following:
  1. Boot your system and when you get to the Clover Boot Screen press the F4 key.
    • As this is a laptop you may need to press the fn+F4 keys at the same time. Try both just to be on the save side.
  2. This will save your ACPI tables to the /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder on your USB pen drive or your macOS drive, whichever you are using to boot the laptop.
  3. There is no indication that the ACPI files are being saved to the boot drives CLOVER folder. So you need to wait around 30 seconds before pressing any other key, trying to boot or shutdown the system. This will give the USB time to save the files.
  4. Open your CLOVER folder and navigate to the ACPI folder.
  5. Right-click and compress the origin folder.
  6. Provide a copy here. So I can have a look at your DSDT and SSDT tables.
If you are using a different bios to the one that bceagles2010 used in his laptop this will mean the files created for his system will not work for yours. The laptops while being the same physically will not be the same at the software level. Any patches and fixes applied to his DSDT will not work with your system if the bios is different.

fbotalla

macOS
To obtain the ACPI files from your system you need to do the following:
  1. Boot your system and when you get to the Clover Boot Screen press the F4 key.
    • As this is a laptop you may need to press the fn+F4 keys at the same time. Try both just to be on the save side.
  2. This will save your ACPI tables to the /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder on your USB pen drive or your macOS drive, whichever you are using to boot the laptop.
  3. There is no indication that the ACPI files are being saved to the boot drives CLOVER folder. So you need to wait around 30 seconds before pressing any other key, trying to boot or shutdown the system. This will give the USB time to save the files.
  4. Open your CLOVER folder and navigate to the ACPI folder.
  5. Right-click and compress the origin folder.
  6. Provide a copy here. So I can have a look at your DSDT and SSDT tables.
If you are using a different bios to the one that bceagles2010 used in his laptop this will mean the files created for his system will not work for yours. The laptops while being the same physically will not be the same at the software level. Any patches and fixes applied to his DSDT will not work with your system if the bios is different.
I see, I did as instructed and this is what I got.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Try this CLOVER folder in place of the one you were using previously. I have made some changes based on your ACPI tables, specifically your DSDT.

Hopefully it will help.

Attachments

fbotalla

macOS
Try this CLOVER folder in place of the one you were using previously. I have made some changes based on your ACPI tables, specifically your DSDT.

Hopefully it will help.
IT WORKED! thank you so much!

Just a few concerns:
1- My wifi adapter does not seem to work. It does not even recognize it. Any advice for that?
2- Will the USB always need to be connected to the laptop in order for it to boot? Because if I run it from internal HD it gives me a "Invalid partition table!"

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
If the WiFi adapter is an Intel, Realtek or one of 99% of the Atheros based WiFi/BT cards that are installed in laptops, then it won't ever work in macOS. The card will need to be swapped out for a macOS compatible Broadcom WiFi/BT card. This is absolutely normal for a Hackintosh laptop.

No the USB will not always need to be connected. But you need to install Clover to the EFI Partition on your macOS drive. The same as you did when creating the USB Drive. So you can boot using Clover from the macOS drive.

As you have a working CLOVER folder, you can copy the CLOVER folder form your USB to replace the CLOVER folder that is created on your macOS drive as part of the Clover install. The Clover folder on created on the macOS drive will not contain any of the kext, patches fixes etc. that your USB CLOVER folder contains.

You will then need to shutdown your laptop. Boot in to your bios and set the UEFI partition on your macOS drive as your default/priority boot disk, so it automatically boots from the Clover installation on the UEFI partition.

Here is a screenshot guide to installing Clover to your macOS drive:

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.12.31.png Download and open a recent version of Clover

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.12.52.png Select the Continue button

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.13.12.png Enter your password if requested

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.13.22.png Select the Continue button

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.13.32.png Select the Continue button

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.13.46.png Select the 'Change install Location button, if your macOS drive is not named.

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.23.27.png Select your macOS drive, select the continue button

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.13.46.png Select the 'Customise' button

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.14.04.png Make sure you select the top two options in the customise menu. Select Install button

Don't worry about the other options, as these will be dealt with by your working CLOVER folder.

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.15.50.png Enter your password when requested and 'Install Software' button

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.16.05.png Select the 'Install Anyway' button if you see this screen

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.16.28.png Close Clover installer when it completes

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.17.43.png You should now have a new EFI Partition icon on your desktop, open it.

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.40.36.png If your system isn't set to show Partition icons on the Desktop, go to the Finder drop down menu next to the Apple icon on the main menu bar. Select the 'Preferences' option. This will open a window as shown below.

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.20.40.png Select the options for 'Hard Disks' and the EFI Partition should be visible on your desktop.

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.18.14.png Within the EFI partition will be an EFI folder, open it.

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.18.26.png In the EFI folder will be the CLOVER folder, and maybe just the Boot folder and Clover install log. The Apple folder only appears after you have run a macOS update on your system.

Drag and Drop the working CLOVER folder from your USB on to the EFI folder window. Select REPLACE, if you are asked to merge or replace the existing CLOVER folder. This will place your working Clover folder on your macOS drive.

You can now shutdown your system.
Remove the USB Drive.
Restart the system and boot in to your BIOS, press the Del, F2 or fn+F2 key, or whichever key is required to boot in to your bios when the Dell system splash screen appears.
Change the boot order so the UEFI partition on your macOS drive is first in the list.
Save your bios change.
When your system boots it should now use the Clover boot loader and boot to the Clover boot Screen so you can select your macOS drive's boot icon.

fbotalla

macOS
If the WiFi adapter is an Intel, Realtek or one of 99% of the Atheros based WiFi/BT cards that are installed in laptops, then it won't ever work in macOS. The card will need to be swapped out for a macOS compatible Broadcom WiFi/BT card. This is absolutely normal for a Hackintosh laptop.

No the USB will not always need to be connected. But you need to install Clover to the EFI Partition on your macOS drive. The same as you did when creating the USB Drive. So you can boot using Clover from the macOS drive.

As you have a working CLOVER folder, you can copy the CLOVER folder form your USB to replace the CLOVER folder that is created on your macOS drive as part of the Clover install. The Clover folder on created on the macOS drive will not contain any of the kext, patches fixes etc. that your USB CLOVER folder contains.

You will then need to shutdown your laptop. Boot in to your bios and set the UEFI partition on your macOS drive as your default/priority boot disk, so it automatically boots from the Clover installation on the UEFI partition.

Here is a screenshot guide to installing Clover to your macOS drive:

View attachment 8625 Download and open a recent version of Clover

View attachment 8626 Select the Continue button

View attachment 8627 Enter your password if requested

View attachment 8628 Select the Continue button

View attachment 8629 Select the Continue button

View attachment 8630 Select the 'Change install Location button, if your macOS drive is not named.

View attachment 8640 Select your macOS drive, select the continue button

View attachment 8630 Select the 'Customise' button

View attachment 8631 Make sure you select the top two options in the customise menu. Select Install button

Don't worry about the other options, as these will be dealt with by your working CLOVER folder.

View attachment 8633 Enter your password when requested and 'Install Software' button

View attachment 8634 Select the 'Install Anyway' button if you see this screen

View attachment 8635 Close Clover installer when it completes

View attachment 8636 You should now have a new EFI Partition icon on your desktop, open it.

View attachment 8641 If your system isn't set to show Partition icons on the Desktop, go to the Finder drop down menu next to the Apple icon on the main menu bar. Select the 'Preferences' option. This will open a window as shown below.

View attachment 8639 Select the options for 'Hard Disks' and the EFI Partition should be visible on your desktop.

View attachment 8637 Within the EFI partition will be an EFI folder, open it.

View attachment 8638 In the EFI folder will be the CLOVER folder, and maybe just the Boot folder and Clover install log. The Apple folder only appears after you have run a macOS update on your system.

Drag and Drop the working CLOVER folder from your USB on to the EFI folder window. Select REPLACE, if you are asked to merge or replace the existing CLOVER folder. This will place your working Clover folder on your macOS drive.

You can now shutdown your system.
Remove the USB Drive.
Restart the system and boot in to your BIOS, press the Del, F2 or fn+F2 key, or whichever key is required to boot in to your bios when the Dell system splash screen appears.
Change the boot order so the UEFI partition on your macOS drive is first in the list.
Save your bios change.
When your system boots it should now use the Clover boot loader and boot to the Clover boot Screen so you can select your macOS drive's boot icon.
Once again, you are spot on! Thank you again so much. I think this would be the last time bothering you, but do you have any suggestions on which Wifi Card to buy? Currently I do have a simple Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC-7260

Latest posts