crut

macOS
Mobo
Asrock Z370M-ITX/ac
CPU
I5-8400
GPU
onboard
Just started Hackintoshing with Asrock Z370M-ITX/ac+I5-8400 and downloaded the latest Clover. It took @ 10 minutes to install on a USB which was worrying but it seems this version gets the latest kexts etc and preloads all basic boot requirements on the USB. I'm assuming it 'downloads' these as it took far longer to install than earlier Clover versions. Maybe someone would confirm this?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
No, that is not what normally happens. The installation of Clover to a USB should take a couple of minutes at most, it never takes 10 minutes.

Clover does not install any kexts. It only installs what is selected via the Customisation option, i.e. Bios or UEFI drivers and clover theme(s).

Did you download the latest version of Clover from Source Forge? If not use this link to obtain the latest version Clover_v2.4k_r4961 - https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/

By the sounds of it you either had an EFI folder present on the USB or have downloaded a version of Clover from Tonymacx86 or a similar site that pre-configures a release of Clover. These pre-configured versions of Clover can include kexts.

crut

macOS
Mobo
Asrock Z370M-ITX/ac
CPU
I5-8400
GPU
onboard
No, that is not what normally happens. The installation of Clover to a USB should take a couple of minutes at most, it never takes 10 minutes.
Thanks Edhawk, I think I know what happened, it did take @ 10mins. I used Pietro's TINU to make the USB Installer, TINU erases before install. TINU has a Clover part I've not used yet. So, when I used Clover to install it invoked TINU's Clover bit and installed up-to-date parts of Clover on the USB. TINU was closed?? I'll ask Pietro. However, the Clover content had all the basic requirements as I had to go through it and delete that not wanted before a good install. Have a look at the attachment, the Clover content.

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I will have a look at your config.plist later today (Monday).

crut

macOS
Mobo
Asrock Z370M-ITX/ac
CPU
I5-8400
GPU
onboard
Thanks Edhawk. Pietro advised the Clover part of TINU is primitive so it wouldn't do this. I can't remember where I got Clover from, it wasn't tonyMac. Just downloaded from Sourceforge and it's the same size with an MD5. I can't explain it but have to repeat since I believe this version responsible - makes good sense?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I would recommend you erase your USB installer drive and reinstall High Sierra and the latest version of Clover, so any issues that arose with your previous installer drive are removed.

I'm about to have a look at your Clover folder. I will be back in touch shortly.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I have had a good look at your Clover folder and made a number of changes, which I hope will better suit your system components:
  • I have added SSDT_XOSI.aml to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder, this works with one of the DSDT rename patches added to your config.plsit
  • I have deleted the /CLVOER/drivers64 folder
  • I have removed a number of drivers from the /CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder
  • I have removed the numbered OSX folders from /CLOVER/kexts folder leaving just the Other folder
  • I have removed a number of unnecessary kexts from /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
  • I added a couple of newer kexts to /CLOVER/kexts/Other.
I have had a look at your config.plsit and made a number of changes to this file:
  • Added a number of DSDT/SSDT rename patches
  • Added a number of DSDT/SSDT fixes
  • Added PluginType=1
  • Added ACPI fix AutoMerge=true
  • Added darkwake=8 boot argument
  • Deleted '-1' and added Timeout=5
  • Added NerverHibernate=true
  • Removed UseIntelHDMI=true
  • Added Device > Properties for your IntelUHD 630 graphics
  • Added Scan > Custom Entries=true & Tool=true
  • Added a number of common Hide Volume names
  • Added Kernel fix - AppleIntelCPUPM=true
  • Deleted the USB port limit patch for 10.13.4
  • Added the USB port limit patch for 10.13.6
  • Updated the MLB to match your Board Serial Number
  • Generated a new ROM based on your SMBIOS
  • Fleshed out your SMBIOS, kept it with iMac 18.1 and the same Serial Number, which I checked passed at EveryMac and Apple Support.
  • Deleted NvidiaWeb=true
As you have an Asrock motherboard you need to be aware of the following:

Memory:
On certain ASUS and ASROCK motherboards if the RAM is unmapped using certain DIMM slots can prevent you from booting the macOS installer.

To get around this during the install you should use 1 stick of RAM placed in the inner most slot closest to the CPU, or you can map the RAM before you install macOS. That way you can use any DIMM slot. If you decide not to do this before the install you will have to do it after installation to use all DIMM slots.

Link to Guide for Mapping Ram - https://hackintosher.com/forums/thr...slots-on-a-hackintosh-with-clover-smbios.365/

Bios Settings:
One of the things that commonly crop up with Hack's is the bios settings are wrong. Use the list below to make sure your Bios is correctly set for running macOS.
  1. Virtualization : Enabled
  2. VT-d : Disabled
  3. XHCI Hand-Off : Enabled
  4. Legacy USB Support: Auto/Enabled
  5. IO SerialPort : Disabled
  6. Network Stack : Disabled
  7. XMP Profile : Auto / Profile 1/Enabled
  8. UEFI Booting set to Enabled and set Priority over Legacy
  9. Secure Boot : Disabled
  10. Fast Boot : Disabled
  11. OS Type: Other OS
  12. Wake on LAN : Disabled
  13. Integrated Graphics : Enabled
  14. Graphics: IGD/Integrated/iGPU/CPU Graphics
  15. DVMT Pre-Allocated : 128M or higher
Remember to set the Boot Priority for your macOS drive, clear any other drives from the list, so Clover is run when you turn on your system.

When you have recreated your High Sierra USB installer drive and installed Clover to the USB, simply replace the CLOVER folder that is created on the USB with the one attached to this post.

Let me know how you get on with this Clover folder etc.

Attachments

crut

macOS
Mobo
Asrock Z370M-ITX/ac
CPU
I5-8400
GPU
onboard
Thanks Edhawk, that wasn't my intention but I welcome the advice.
The Clover sent you (with mods) loads/runs 14.2 with minimal problems tested so far.

The anomaly was, did Clover install latest kext due to the 10min USB install time? The Clover you have is untouched, Clover did it. I never used Clover Configurator to update anything.

I had to remove some things to get boot installing 14.2 - drivers64 plus others when compared to Raine's Clover. Thanks Raine.
I use DP on a Dell 2415 with intention of using DP o/p to drive my late 2009 27" as display.

I have been stuck on mapping the USB ports (corpnewt - USBMap) so I never retested the Clover USB installer yet.
Somehow I disabled ALL USB ports - no USB K/B/mouse and had to reset NVRAM. I am new to Asrock BIOS - so I guess NVRAM resides in the same chip since clearing BIOS fixed problem?

Had a look at your mods - Isn't SmallTree required for second ITX Ethernet port?
I had changed RAM to 2 and the OS picks-up 2 slots with correct data but will map.
I'll swop with your Clover and let you know.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Yes, SmallTrees is required for your second Intel Ethernet port to work. Sorry.

crut

macOS
Mobo
Asrock Z370M-ITX/ac
CPU
I5-8400
GPU
onboard
Edhawk, your Clover worked well.

I had mapped USB ports using my Win 10 SSD (dissed on installing Mac OS) but corpnewt’s USBMap not only confirmed but allowed creation. I used Carl Mercier’s method to create a kext USBMap rather than NVRAM. Thanks Carl. < link > Ended up with 15 ports and put kext in your Clover. Not sure quite right, USB 3 dongle gives 40MB/s write, 160 MB/s read so will explore further.

Thanks to Hackintoshers instructions for my installed BCM94352Z card, WiFI/-BT works. Sound ok, used onboard (iMac) with green audio port - sound has 2 line o/p's; thinks the Dell monitor is audio? RAM maps ok.

Never used SmallTree as IntelMausi gave en0 Ethernet and I only use 1 port. In this respect shouldn’t I use the en0 MAC address instead of what you had filled-in at RTVariables ROM?

So far only 2 weirds. Had problem copying from 2009 iMac Ethernet, had to reboot. Also clock lost 1/2 hour?

So the little white, quiet InwinA1 with coloured lights soon to be turned off hits 5308/21674 GB4/64b/I5-8400/2666RAM

Explore a bit more and upgrade to 14.5. Thanks again.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Good Hack!

crut

macOS
Mobo
Asrock Z370M-ITX/ac
CPU
I5-8400
GPU
onboard
Hello Edhawk, just upped to 14.5 no problem.
Main OS on NVME. One SSD (dissed) has Win 10.

Installed my 2nd SSD, partitioned in half (120Gb each) and cloned the 14.2 to one half.

When 14.5 went well cloned the other half with it.
Didn't realise the EFI isn't duplicated for each partition but the SSD has only 1 EFI on it for the 2 partitions.
Speed astounding! 15Gigs CC'ed in 2.25mins!

Only change to your EFI: removed auto-boot (-1); added the requirements XHC etc to make the USBMap.
Thanks again.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Glad you have it working as you wanted.

Latest posts