Dedicated Forum Area for Hackintosh audio/music producers ?

macOS
Hi Hackintosher !

Is it maybe possible to make a Forum section, specifially for people who are using/making a Hack for audio/music production ?
I ask this cause , regarding reaching optimal performance out of a Hack for audio/music production, there are powersaving BIOS settings that should be disabled if possible (like p/c states, turboboost, core parking and even turining off hyperthreading).
Generally, a Hack for musicproduction should always run at it's highest speed, avoiding audio clicks (which can occur when powersaving settings are enabled in BIOS).

But most of the Hack builders just leave these power settings alone, cause their intention is that they want make use of powersettings.

So if there is a dedicated Forum section for audio/music producers that are experiencing with disabling BIOS power settings and then see if their Hack still performs ok, that would come in handy.

Warm Regards.

Hackintosher

Administrator
macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i3-8100
GPU
UHD 630 Graphics
Also, I don't do music production, but a thread guide should probably be made on that with the proper settings for first timers.

macOS
Great Hackintosher, many thanks in advance !

BTW: Do you yourself have experience with disabling p/c states and turbo boost in your BIOS Hack(s), just to test if the Hack(s) keep running without problems ?

Warm Regards.

Hackintosher

Administrator
macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i3-8100
GPU
UHD 630 Graphics
It can run without P/C states you will also have to disable P/C states in config.plist under Acpi -> Generate Options

You should be able to run fine, when SSDT's were needed you were suppose to disable P States and C States if I remember correctly.

comet

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS gaming7
CPU
GPU
GTX1050ti
I also use DAW, so I am interested.
Disable EIST, speed step, turbo boost, Cstate.
Is it still necessary now?
I would like you to make a tutorial.

macOS
Hi there,

I do alot of reading about the subject on several DAW forums , like Cubase, Studio One and Reaper.
(i myself am a Reaper user).
From what i have understand is that turning off all these power saving settings is nowadays still a good thing to do,
purely to avoid audio dropouts.
For Reaper it's even adviced to turn off Hyperthreading in BIOS, cause Reaper wants to have control itself over managing workload between cpu cores, instead of letting it do by operating system.

Audio production is very different than video production:
In audio production the cpu has to constantly deliver blocks of (audio) data in REALTIME: our ears will immediately hear an audio dropout if this realtime process is disturbed when (for instance) the cpu is throttling down / up (which takes time)
Video production doesn't require this REALTIME data handling, so its much less demanding on (realtime) CPU tasks.

When you google around for the words DAW and (for example) "core parking" or EIST, you will find numerous hits.

I am sorry for my broken english :0)
Warm Regards.

comet

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS gaming7
CPU
GPU
GTX1050ti
I have one question.
Windows recommends turning off power saving,
Macintosh can not turn it off.
(Hackintosh will enter BIOS, but Machintosh can not enter.)
However, a lot of people are making music using Macintosh.
How do they avoid them?
Does Macintosh (hackintosh) need to invalidate power saving?

PS:I am sorry for my broken english

macOS
On a real mac, indeed, you simply can't shut off EIST / c/p states / Turbo boost so mac users have to live with that.
The only thing you can do is disable Hyperthreading, i believe via a Terminal command.

Hyperthreading is still an active topic in Music Software land ; the opinions and experiences people have with this (enabling or disablingHT ) varies quite alot.

Texascat

macOS
Mobo
ASUS Prime Z370-A
CPU
I7-8600
GPU
UHD630
I would love to see a dedicated Hackintosh DAW forum!

The Hackintosh has been the best kept secret in the Pro Audio community for years because of Apple's insistance on making drastic changes to hardware every few years.

I built my first Hackintosh in 2006 because Apple switched over to PCIe and I had made a huge investment in Pro Tools PCI-X cards. To move forward I would have to invest thousands to replace all my cards or figure out how to build a Hackintosh.

The community has faced a similar problem since 2013 when the Mac Pro abandoned PCIe and went to Thunderbolt. There are tons of Pro Tools HDX users with PCIe cards that either have to upgrade their Cheesegraters, use an external PCIe chassis, or build a Hackintosh.

The Hackintosh route is becoming the preferred method lately because you can have the best of all worlds. PCIe, Thunderbolt, and the latest CPU.

I've got all the parts to build mine right now but I've decided to MOD an old G5 to put it in so it's taking me a little longer.

macOS
Curious about your choosen pc parts for your new Hack ..

I am still not sure for myself regarding a mobo: Gigabyte Aorus or ASUS Hero.
From what i have all read in the past is that ASUS seems to win abit from GB, regarding very best audio-realtime-performance in DAW's.
But that was from PC users, not Hackintosh users..

Texascat

macOS
Mobo
ASUS Prime Z370-A
CPU
I7-8600
GPU
UHD630
Curious about your choosen pc parts for your new Hack ..

I am still not sure for myself regarding a mobo: Gigabyte Aorus or ASUS Hero.
From what i have all read in the past is that ASUS seems to win abit from GB, regarding very best audio-realtime-performance in DAW's.
But that was from PC users, not Hackintosh users..
I went with the ASUS Prime Z370-A and the ASUS Thunderboltex3 card. This seems to be the most compatible path to Thunderbolt right now and I have invested heavily in UAD so reliable Thunderbolt is essential.

Last edited:
macOS
I wanna thank you for this precious info !

I myself am using an UAD thunderbolt audio device as my main audio device: the Apollo Twin-thunderbolt version.
So for me also, flawless TB is really important !

Warm Regards.

BoomR

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming Ultra
CPU
i7-8700K
GPU
AORUS RX580
I went with the ASUS Prime Z370-A and the ASUS Thunderboltex3 card. This seems to be the most compatible path to Thunderbolt right now and I have invested heavily in UAD so reliable Thunderbolt is essential.
I am using Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming + 8700K + AORUS RX580 + Alpine Ridge AIC (2-port Thunderbolt 3), and was very easy to configure & get running. Thunderbolt works great (running Pegasys2 R6 18TB using Apple TB3 > TB2 adapter). I do both music (DAW = ProTools 12, Digital Performer, Logic Pro X) and video (Final Cut Pro X) - both 2D and 360VR. No problems here thus far...

macOS
Hey BoomR, welcome aboard !
Many thanks for your info ;), that's good to hear.

Can you maybe comment on my previous post here in this thread, regarding turning off all powersaving stuff in BIOS, like speedstep / p/c states for (even) better DAW performance (avoiding dropouts, maximizing realtime audio throughput in a DAW) ?
Do have these settings turned on or off in your Hack ?

Warm Regards.

Texascat

macOS
Mobo
ASUS Prime Z370-A
CPU
I7-8600
GPU
UHD630
I am using Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming + 8700K + AORUS RX580 + Alpine Ridge AIC (2-port Thunderbolt 3), and was very easy to configure & get running. Thunderbolt works great (running Pegasys2 R6 18TB using Apple TB3 > TB2 adapter). I do both music (DAW = ProTools 12, Digital Performer, Logic Pro X) and video (Final Cut Pro X) - both 2D and 360VR. No problems here thus far...
That's good to hear. I almost went with Gigabyte because my older Hackintosh was Gigabyte and It ran for years without any problems at all.

Texascat

macOS
Mobo
ASUS Prime Z370-A
CPU
I7-8600
GPU
UHD630
I think turning off powersaving and similar tweaks that have been nessasry in the past are not as important with modern systems. I just helped a freind put together a sysem for his studio based on a ASUS ROG and 8700K for Pro Tools HDX. Beyond the bios changes required for Hackintosh we did'nt bother with anything else. It runs smooth and powerfull and seemingly has no limits.

Advent

While this future section is built, I will ask here for advice in order to build a Hackintosh for audio recording, mixing and production. What parts, config or build would you buy for? Our budget is about 1200€.

We are using this Pcie: http://www.rspeaudio.com/Apogee-Symphony-64-PCIe-Card-p/apo-symphony-64.htm

Would be great to have Thunderbolt 3 available too. Maybe an Asus Prime Z370-A is great option for us...

Thanx in advance

Latest posts