Dedicated Forum Area for Hackintosh audio/music producers ?

Texascat

macOS
Mobo
ASUS Prime Z370-A
CPU
I7-8600
GPU
UHD630
While this future section is built, I will ask here for advice in order to build a Hackintosh for audio recording, mixing and production. What parts, config or build would you buy for? Our budget is about 1200€.

We are using this Pcie: http://www.rspeaudio.com/Apogee-Symphony-64-PCIe-Card-p/apo-symphony-64.htm

Would be great to have Thunderbolt 3 available too. Maybe an Asus Prime Z370-A is great option for us...

Thanx in advance
My system was just under $1000 US based on that board.

Asus Z370 Prime-A
i7-8600 (6 core)
Asus ThunderboltEX 3 AIC
GeIL - EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133
Patriot - Ignite 480GB 2.5" SSD
WTXUP Wifi Bluetooth PCI-E
NZXT - S340 ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze ATX Power Supply
Apple Thunderbolt Display
Universal Audio Apollo

Everything works perfect except 1 in 5 times on bootup Thunderbolt is'nt recognised. I'm still researching that and find that others with the ThundeboltEX 3 have the same problem. It's annoying but does'nt effect performance at all. I'm hopefull to find a fix for it though.

I'm running Pro Tools and large sessions with almost unlimited plugins never even cause it to break a sweat. Definately a huge upgrade from my Mackbook Pro!

macOS
Many thanks for your info, good to hear !
I hope 4U you get the TB issue solved.
Please do tell when you managed that and what exact steps you took for it.
Warm Regards.

Advent

Asus Z370 Prime-A
i7-8600 (6 core)
Asus ThunderboltEX 3 AIC
Universal Audio Apollo

Everything works perfect except 1 in 5 times on bootup Thunderbolt is'nt recognised. I'm still researching that and find that others with the ThundeboltEX 3 have the same problem. It's annoying but does'nt effect performance at all. I'm hopefull to find a fix for it though.

I'm running Pro Tools and large sessions with almost unlimited plugins never even cause it to break a sweat. Definately a huge upgrade from my Mackbook Pro!
Thank you for your post.

I´ll consider that motherboard!! seems a great option for an audio machine.

Advent

Asus Z370 Prime-A
i7-8600 (6 core)
Asus ThunderboltEX 3 AIC
Universal Audio Apollo

We've just bought the parts:

-i7 8700
-Asus Z370 Prime-A
-Gskill Ripjaws V Red DDR4 2400 PC4-19200 2x8Gb CL15
-Samsung 960 Evo NVME M2 SSD Pcie 500Gb
-Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750w 80Plus Gold Modular
-NZXT Kraken X52
-Sapphire Pulse Radeon Rx560 2Gb oc GDDR5
-Phanteks Eclipse P400s case
-Apogee Symphony Pcie

When we finish the mounting and installing the soft I'll bring you some info...

Lets do this!!!!

vardaan75

macOS
Mobo
Aorus Gaming 5
CPU
Intel 8700K
GPU
iGPU
Hey!
Really glad to see something specific for music producers.
Could someone help me with the integrated audio?
It has just stopped working and I'm not able to get it working again.
Although I'm using Steinberg UR44 for my IO, but the CoreAudio in Logic stops sometimes and then the only workaround is shutting logic or restarting.

I've tried the Audio Guide present for High Sierra and it didn't help at all.

My Config:

Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5
i7 8700K (it's so fast for processing those plugins!)
32Gb 3000Mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance
Corsair R45 Hydro Cooling
Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5 RGB Cabinet ( THIS HAS A TERRIBLE COOLING SYSTEM)

EDIT:

Sorted it out by moving the Microsoft Folder from the EFI folder and placing it back.
Strange, but it worked!

Really enjoying the speed on this hack!

Last edited:

Advent

Asus Z370 Prime-A
i7-8600 (6 core)
Asus ThunderboltEX 3 AIC
Universal Audio Apollo

Hi Texascat, Im stuck in booting up... Could you share your EFI partition. Would be great to try one boot with it!!

Thanxx

Advent

Hi Texascat, Im stuck in booting up... Could you share your EFI partition. Would be great to try one boot with it!!

Thanxx
Ok, I have everything working for now. I missed this driver to install "OsxAptiofix3drv64"...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

When I finish the optimization I,ll bring some info of our new Machine!!!

Jeff*

macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime z270-A
CPU
i7-7700
GPU
iGFX HD630
Hey everyone, this is a great idea!
I'll be following this thread because an i7 8700k with a Asus Z370 Prime-A + TB3 is definitely something interesting to think about :)
I have never turned off hyperthreading in BIOS before.. this thread is making me thinking about it, anyone thinks it's better to turn these settings off ?

Also, would a PCIe RME MADI HDSPe card work under High Sierra on an ASUS board?

Thanks!

Jeff*

macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime z270-A
CPU
i7-7700
GPU
iGFX HD630
Hey just a little update,
I had to quickly setup a new hack for tracking and took bits of pieces I had laying around, since I had a i7-7700 (non-k) I decided to buy an Asus Prime z270-A, just because I knew it would be very compatible and could upgrade the CPU later on, and I can fully and happily confirm that my RME HDSPe MADI PCIe card works perfectly well (using the Antelope Orion32HD here)!
My last recording was 20 tracks 96khz live session (about 1 hour of tracking) and not one lag, hiccup, problem, ... Rock solid operation !!!

I will wait for the next gen intel 8 core for a future mixing hack :)

macOS
I think turning off powersaving and similar tweaks that have been nessasry in the past are not as important with modern systems. I just helped a freind put together a sysem for his studio based on a ASUS ROG and 8700K for Pro Tools HDX. Beyond the bios changes required for Hackintosh we did'nt bother with anything else. It runs smooth and powerfull and seemingly has no limits.
That's good to hear, thank you for this info ! ;)

MyNewMac

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370M DS3H
CPU
i7-8700K
GPU
RX580
hey there.. I am a broadcast professional and use a Wheatstone IP-12 M4. It's a processor with several usb connections. The USB is seen on my PCs as Texas Instruments audio codec. The audio is 100 percent perfect on my PCs. And, the company says they've tested on several Mac and it's perfect in and out. On my hack -- output is amazing.. input? Non-existent. Just a high-pitched whine. Anyone have any suggestions I can try?

djfreenky

macOS
Mobo
z370 aorus gaming 7
CPU
i7 8700k
GPU
Asus radeon rx580 8gb
I have a machine whit clover

-GA-Z370 AORUS gaming 7
-i7 8700K
-Asus Radeon RX 580 8 GB
-16 GB 2998 MHz DDR4 (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)
-H60 hydro
-evga 750w
-Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB
-Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
-WD Blue 4TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch

For audio I use a Akai external sound card by USB. I listen some latency in Ableton but also youtube and otherside

What is problem???

Latest posts