macOS
Mobo
Dell Inspiron 5300 / Product 09NT72 version A00
CPU
i7-8550U 1.8 GHz
GPU
Intel UHD Graphics (Bios 1051)
Hi all. As per request from moderator, posting a new thread for my device:

I've just started with Hackintoshing due to my displeasure at the non-upgradability of Apple hardware.

1. Is there any way to make a generic boot disk that will work on any PC/laptop? (Like Linux)
2. I am trying to get a Dell inspiron 13" 5300, year: 2018, to work. Do you by any chance have a pre-built Clover.zip for this type of machine?

I have managed (once) to get to the installer screen. The first thing - to get past the apple logo - was to put -no_compat_check or somesuch in the boot arguments. At the point where I got to the installer, it said the package was damaged. I downloaded the package again and recreated the boot USB, still retaining the clover.zip I got from @Edhawk for another Dell, and the boot argument. However, now it doesn't boot to installer - it stops on a repeating error.

Screenshots attached.

Attachments

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
No there is not a Generic Boot disk that will work on any PC/laptop. Not if you want to run a Vanilla installation. There are Distro's that can do something like the Linux installation disks but they are deemed suspect, as you don't know what else has been added to the installation.

Laptop hacks are notoriously more difficult than a Desktop hack. Due to the fact you are limited by the components used by the manufacturer of the laptop. Most Laptops do not work with all their components, usually the WiFi/BT are Intel or Realtek based. These cards don't work with macOS. If you are lucky your laptop will have an Atheros WiFI/BT card that may possibly work. If you are really lucky your laptop will contain a compatible Broadcom WiFi/BT card, which will only need the addition of a kext or a config.plist tweak to work with macOS. Otherwise you are looking at replacing your WiFi/BT card for a compatible card, if you want to use your laptop as it was intended, i.e. free from an Ethernet cable.

I will have a look at your CLOVER folder this afternoon and get back to you thereafter.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Which version of macOS are you installing on this Dell Inspiron 13 5370 system, High Sierra as stated in your System Information or a newer version?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I have attached a revised CLOVER folder for you to try. I ahve assumed you are installing Mojave not High Sierra, let me know if this is not the case.

Have a try and see what happens, let me know if it Kernel Panics.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i7-8550U 1.8 GHz
GPU
Which version of macOS are you installing on this Dell Inspiron 13 5370 system, High Sierra as stated in your System Information or a newer version?
10.13, I think. High Sierra.
It's what I run on my actual mac system - want 100% compat.

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i7-8550U 1.8 GHz
GPU
I have attached a revised CLOVER folder for you to try. I ahve assumed you are installing Mojave not High Sierra, let me know if this is not the case.

Have a try and see what happens, let me know if it Kernel Panics.
thanks a million. Will try it tomorrow morning and revert.
What time zone are you in Ed?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
If you downloaded High Sierra from the App Store on your real Mac you will have downloaded 10.13.6, as that is the only version Apple host on their main servers. You would need to look for a specific download link to get hold of an older version of High Sierra.

I have changed the config that is in the CLOVER folder attached to this post, so it has the High Sierra 10.13.6 USB port limit patches. I have disabled the Mojave USB port limit patches.

Try this CLOVER folder and delete the other one.

This one has a number of tweaks to the Drivers, kexts and config.plist that were present in an EFI folder for a Dell Inspiron that was similar to yours.

If you want 100% compatible then you need to change the WiFi card for a compatible Broadcom WiFi/BT card.

I have attached a couple of manuals for your Inspiron laptop, which show you how to replace the WiFi/BT card. As well as providing some general information on your laptop. I hope they are helpful.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i7-8550U 1.8 GHz
GPU
OK, you'll be super happy to know that it worked after I gave up on the installer app and just used carbon copy cloner on my normal boot drive. It seems the installer app I have, has some bug which breaks the locationd and one of the other daemons.

However.
The trackpad doesn't work.
Any ideas? :)

*ps I am not too fussed about the wifi, I can just tether my iphone

*pps the touchscreen works, which is awesome. well done.

(almost there)

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
What do you mean the Trackpad doesn't work?

Does it have very bacic mouse functions or not work in any form?

Which kexts do you currently have installed to your /Clover/kexts/Other folder or /Library/Extensions folder? I would expect you to be using the VoodooPS2Controller.kext and maybe a couple of VoodooI2C kexts.

An alternative Trackpad/keyboard kext is ApplePS2SmartTocuhPad.kext. If you want to try this kext you will need to remove the VoodooPS2Controller.kext from /CLOVER/kexts/Other and also /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions folders. You need to install the kext with an app such as Hackintool. I use Hackintool as it repairs permissions and rebuilds the kernel cache as part of the installation, even on Catalina.

If you change your mind the WiFi/BT card you would want is the Broadcom BCM94352Z (Dell DW 1560) card. They seem to be in short supply at the moment, but things change fairly quickly and you can sometimes get a bargain on eBay or one of the other online shops.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i7-8550U 1.8 GHz
GPU
Hi. Thanks again, to answer your question: there's no functionality at all. The kexts are the ones you supplied in CLOVER #7 above. Will try what you suggest and revert.

-- ok so it doesn't seem to make a difference. I moved the ps2 kext out of all the places I found it (nothing in /System or /Library)

however in the boot sequence (verbose), I do not see it recognising the new kext. Is that because I must edit it into the config.plist file? I'd rather edit it in by hand as I find clover configurator way too confusing.

I assume I must just replace the XML that refers to the ps2 driver?
Regarding the <data> xml entry: is that just base64?

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The kexts in the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder in post#7 were from a similar Dell system to yours, which needed these three kexts for his Tackpad to work.

When installing the ApplePS2SmartTrackPad kext can you try with and without the two VoodooI2C kexts installed. See if this makes any difference.

Next trial would be to install just the VoodooPS2Controller.kext on its own, with no other Voodoo kexts or the ApplePS2SmartTouchPad kext installed.

Are you installing these kext to /CLOVER/kexts/Other or to /Library/Extensions? For these kext trials I would recommend the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder, so you don't need to keep repairing permissions and rebuilding the kernel cache.

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i7-8550U 1.8 GHz
GPU
The kexts in the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder in post#7 were from a similar Dell system to yours, which needed these three kexts for his Tackpad to work.

When installing the ApplePS2SmartTrackPad kext can you try with and without the two VoodooI2C kexts installed. See if this makes any difference.

Next trial would be to install just the VoodooPS2Controller.kext on its own, with no other Voodoo kexts or the ApplePS2SmartTouchPad kext installed.

Are you installing these kext to /CLOVER/kexts/Other or to /Library/Extensions? For these kext trials I would recommend the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder, so you don't need to keep repairing permissions and rebuilding the kernel cache.
Hi. I'll try the above; and yes, I am putting them in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i7-8550U 1.8 GHz
GPU
OK as it turns out, it wants either or both the PS2 kexts (apple and/or voodoo) in /Library/Extensions - it seems to ignore new kexts in /CLOVER

I just discovered sound isn't working. It's greyed out. No output device found. Sorry to drag this one out. Any ideas?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I can understand both kexts wanting to be innstalled to /Library/Extensions, as this is what macOS expects. But not both at the same time! That is not a good idea.

Audio issues are normal so don't worry. It is probably related to the Audio codec used in your laptop and the Layout ID set in your config.plist.

The manual I posted above states your Inspiron 13 5370 laptop uses a Realtek ALC3254-CG Audio Codec. We need to confirm if this is correct or if it is identified with a different codec.

If you open the latest version of Hackintool and navigate to the Audio tab.

Screenshot 2019-11-11 at 17.14.40.png This is a screenshot of the Audio tab on my iMac 1 system.

The screenshot clearly shows the Realtek ALC1150 Audio Codec is used in my system, what does your show?

AppleALC.kext will work with most if not all Realtek Audio codec's, you may have to do some trial and error testing to see which Layout ID is required.

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i7-8550U 1.8 GHz
GPU
Hi. Apologies I am out of my depth now, here's the screenshot, but I'm not really sure what changes to make.

PS - battery is almost flat on my Dell so I will probably have to try anything further tomorrow. Really, really appreciate the help.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Don't worry, the screenshot shows the information required. Your Audio Codec is a Realtek ALC225 (also know as ALC3234 and ALC3235), which works with AppleALC.kext.

This codec normally works with one of these Layout ID's - 28, 30 or 33.

So we need to set your config with the correct Layout ID. Using Clover Configurator this is a fairly easy task to do.
  1. Download and install the latest version of Clover Configurator to your Applications folder - https://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download-clover-configurator/
  2. Open Clover Configurator by right-clicking on the app icon, you will see a warning that you can ignore and select open.
  3. Navigate to 'Mount EFI' tab in the Tools section in the left-hand navigation bar.
    • Screenshot 2019-11-11 at 18.05.07.png Screenshot of Clover Configurator Mount EFI tab on my iMac 1
  4. Select the 'Mount Partition' button alongside your macOS drive. You will be asked to provide your Password, do so and the 'Open Partition' button next to 'Mount Partition' will be highlighted.
    • Screenshot 2019-11-11 at 18.12.41.png
  5. You will also have a new EFI drive icon on your desktop, if you have show Hard Drives selected in Finder > Preferences.
    • Screenshot 2019-11-11 at 18.09.39.png Finder > Preferences options, with Hard disks ticked.
  6. Either select the highlighted 'Open Partition' button or double click the icon on your desktop to open the EFI partition.
    • Screenshot 2019-11-11 at 18.13.48.png EFI icon on my desktop (fancy SSD is icon not normal)
  7. When you double-click the EFI partition icon you will see the EFI folder and possibly a NVRAM.plist
    • Screenshot 2019-11-11 at 18.15.05.png View of normal EFI partitin contents
  8. When you open the EFI folder you should see these folders and a single text file.
    • Screenshot 2019-11-11 at 18.15.51.png View of normal EFI folder contents
  9. When you open the CLOVER folder you should see these folders and the single config.plist.
    • Screenshot 2019-11-11 at 18.16.12.png View of normal CLOVER folder for versions after r5000.
  10. Now double click the config.plist and it should, if you ahve not other plist editors such as Xcode installed, open in Clover Configurator.
    • Screenshot 2019-11-11 at 18.21.43.png When Clover Configurator open it should load the ACPI tab
  11. You will need to navigate to the 'Devices' tab
    • Screenshot 2019-11-11 at 18.22.14.png Devices tab with Audio Layout ID highlighted at the top of the screenshot, this is where the Layout ID needs to be changed, to 28, 30 or 33.
  12. When you have made the Layout ID change you need to select the 'Export' icon (second from left at the bottom of the screen). This will allow you to 'save' or 'saveas' the config with your changes. As this is a simple change that will not prevent you booting it is safe to just save the config.plist.
    • Screenshot 2019-11-11 at 18.22.37.png Clover Configurator 'Export' options shown
  13. Once you have saved the config, you can close Clover Configurator and reboot your system to see if the Audio Layout ID change has worked, or not. If not you need to try another Layout ID by following the exact same steps as listed above.
Simple.

As I ws working with your config.plist I have already saved a config, which I have attached. This contains the Layout ID 28. Try it and see how you get on.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Just remember to check the System Preferences > Output Tab to see if the Audio components show up and are selectable.

Screenshot 2019-11-11 at 18.32.29.png System Preferences > Sound > Output tab from my iMac 1 system.

Then jump to the 'Sound Effects' tab and check that the volume is set and your Speakers are working. You will need to select the Speakers from the dropdown list below the alert sound window.

Screenshot 2019-11-11 at 18.34.01.png Sound Effects tab with my Dell AC511 USB soundbar selected.

You need to check this each time you change the Audio Layout ID.

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i7-8550U 1.8 GHz
GPU
Hi. So the machine is already booted and working so I don't really want to unscrew it to do this change.

Let me try just edit the config.plist.

If I change this:
```
<key>Audio</key>
<dict>
<key>AFGLowPowerState</key>
<true/>
<key>Inject</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>ResetHDA</key>
<true/>
</dict>
```
to this
```
<key>Audio</key>
<dict>
<key>AFGLowPowerState</key>
<true/>
<key>Inject</key>
<integer>28</integer>
<key>ResetHDA</key>
<true/>
</dict>
```
will it work the same? (I'm accustomed to editing text files from my days as a linux admin).

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Yes, that is the same and only change I made to the last config.plist I attached above in post #16.

You need to be using a plist editor such as Xcode, Plist Editor Pro or similar, not just a Text editor, as they can mess up the formatting for the plist when the document is saved. Then your system won't boot. But you probably already know this.

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i7-8550U 1.8 GHz
GPU
Thanks - using TextWrangler, which lets you choose CR/LF stuff.

Um, so sound isn't working with #22, so let me try 30 and 33 in that slot.

Also, why would the machine spontaneously reboot every now and then - especially if I make it actually do anything like open a few apps. Is it perhaps not activating the virtual memory?

Machine as 12 GB so not sure why it would need to.