Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
2 x Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Sorry, not got any idea about the spontaneous rebooting. Not necessarily a memory issue but it is having a kernel panic. Is it a specific app that causes the reboot?

Yes, try another Audio Layout ID, I would have been surprised if the first ID we tried worked.

macOS
Mobo
Dell Inspiron 5300 / Product 09NT72 version A00
CPU
i7-8550U 1.8 GHz
GPU
Intel UHD Graphics (Bios 1051)
OK the kernel panic hits when I the app called "memory diag" brings up a request to rate it in the app store, which follows and icloud login prompt.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/memory-diag/id748212890?mt=12

so far, the Audio Layout IDs 22, 30 and 33 don't work. The Hackingtool offered layout ID 3, but that also doesn't work. There's a disclaimer saying "you may require spoof audio device ID". Vendor: Realtek 0x10ec, Codec Realtek ALC 225 (0x225)

Also tried number 27 and voodooHDA, nada. https://noobsplanet.com/index.php?threads/all-system-100-working-audio-fix-for-hackintosh.330/

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Try Layout ID 13, this is a common/default ID that works in many laptops.

I would not receommend the use of VoodooHDA, unless it is a last resort and you have explored every other option with AppleALC.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Not sure why you see the kernel panic with the Memory Diag app, it may be caused by an incompatibility with the most recent Security Updates released for High Sierra and the last release of the Memory Diag app (2 months ago).

While it looks like a reasonable App, do you really need it? Especially if the kernel panic is not happening with any other apps. Another question, is your Inspiron lacking RAM, so you need to keep an eye on the Memory resourses in case one App or Service hogs all the memory?

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i7-8550U 1.8 GHz
GPU
Not sure why you see the kernel panic with the Memory Diag app, it may be caused by an incompatibility with the most recent Security Updates released for High Sierra and the last release of the Memory Diag app (2 months ago).

While it looks like a reasonable App, do you really need it? Especially if the kernel panic is not happening with any other apps. Another question, is your Inspiron lacking RAM, so you need to keep an eye on the Memory resourses in case one App or Service hogs all the memory?
Oh, I just like it for reasons like the above.

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i7-8550U 1.8 GHz
GPU
Try Layout ID 13, this is a common/default ID that works in many laptops.

I would not receommend the use of VoodooHDA, unless it is a last resort and you have explored every other option with AppleALC.
Hi - sorry, no this didn't work either.

So with this XML. If I decide I want to change to try Voodoo, is this right?

<key>Audio</key>
<dict>
<key>#Inject</key>
<string>13</string>
<key>VoodoHDA</key>
<true/>
</dict>

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
You need to remove the # (Hash) from the Audio Inject entry, as this usually signifies the entry is to be ignored.

Have you been using #Inject when testing the other layout ID's? If yes, you might want to go back and re-test tthem. As none of them will have been injected! If the <key> element is to be ignored, so will the <string> .

You should't need to add VoodooHDA=true to the config.plist, simply remove AppleALC.kext and run the VoodooHDA installer if you are installing VoodHDA to /Library/Extensions, or copy it to /CLVOER/kexts/Other folder if you are loading it from your EFI folder.

Personally I would test the layout Id's with AppleALC.kext before switching to VoodooHDA.

I think your Linux experience is adding to your problems. While the two OS's are similar, macOS does not use a lot of the Linux configuration settings. If you have added the # key to any of the other entries in your config.plist, I would recommend you remove them too.

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i7-8550U 1.8 GHz
GPU
OK will try Ed. However, the # is there as you left it (it's your config.plist file), so I assumed it was needed.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
I'll check that and see if any others have slipped in.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
I have run a sweep through the config 2.plist and deleted any # entries, there were a few, most were duplicates, so they didn't prevent the operation they were meant to run. But the Audio did have a wrong layout ID.

This is the only other thing I have changed in the attached config 3.plist. I ahve set the Audio Layout Id to '13' see if that works.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i7-8550U 1.8 GHz
GPU
Fantastic, let me try that. I've so far tried 13, 22, 30 and 33 with the audio (and the hash removed). No joy, but let's try this config 3.plist.

I really appreciate your time invested in helping me.

...hmm. Nothing. All four options tried. Happy to do screen sharing protocols (zoom/anydesk/teamviewer) if you'd like to tinker directly. Nothing confidential on this machine right now...

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
I have looked around for an audio fix for you. I found one that should work with your Realtek ALC225 codec in macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

You need to do the following:
  1. Delete AppleALC and the current version of VoodooHDA from /Library/Extensions folder
  2. Install AppleHDADisabler.kext and the attached vesion of VoodooHDA.kext to /Library/Extensions Using the Hackintool app.
  3. Hackintool will repair permissions and rebuild the kernel cache as part of the installation process.
  4. Reboot your laptop.
Now check the System Preferences > Sound > Output tab for your speakers. Make sure they are selected and test them on the Sound Effects tab.

Let me know if this works, or not.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i7-8550U 1.8 GHz
GPU
Hi Ed. Thanks for all the help so far. you'll be interested to hear that it does now see the audio - it calls it 'headphones (black right)' - type - headphone port. But it makes no sound (even with headphones plugged in). When I adjust the volume, there's a very slight click in the headphones the first time I try adjust the volume, but that's all.

Another interesting one is the trackpad. So that was working but after we adjusted the kexts it stopped working. Funny enough, it works on the boot up splash screen, but after boot, nada.

kexts in Clover:

FakeSMC.kext
Lilu.kext
USBInjectAll.kext

kexts in Library/Extensions/:

ACPIBatteryManager.kext
AirportBrcmFixup.kext
AppleBacklightFixup.kext
AppleHDADisabler.kext
Dropbox.kext
FakeSMC.kext
Lilu.kext