someguy

macOS
Mobo
Aorus Gaming 5
CPU
GPU
GTX 970
Hey there,

I have the Aorus Gaming 5 motherboard and the 8700K. According to this guide I should be fine to follow it.

A few things though is that this guide links you to the guide to installing on USB and then the guide to installing on your HD.

I want to dual boot Windows 10 and Mac on different drives. Windows 10 is already installed and up and running safely.

I want it so that if I cannot get things running how I want it with the hackintosh - I can just format the drive.

1. So, following the Aorus 7 guide, would I simply just choose the SSD I have connected and install there? Would I just disable the other drives in the Bios before installing?

2. When I first installed windows 10 I had to unplug any other drives for it to work, would that be the case here? I can't do that because the M2 drive is under my huge cooler.

3. How would I choose which drive to boot into? I know in the Bios I would say what drive to boot first, but would I have to use the motherboard and hit DEL to choose or does clover install something that makes you choose each time?

4. The motherboard settings from the guide - are they things that would impact my Windows 10 side of things?

I keep going back and forth on doing this - I really want to dual boot to use FCPX. Failing that I will continue using premiere. Is there any risk to my Win10 install? Considering I am editing video for work I am quite cautious! Thanks!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
It would be best practice to remove the pre-configured Windows 10 drive before installing OSX on another SSD or HD, but it is not mandatory. The risk is if you select the wrong drive while installing OSX you could wipe and overwrite your Windows 10 installation. There is less opportunity for things to go wrong if you only have the one drive you intend to use for OSX installed and connected.

As to choosing which drive you boot: during installation it would be your usb installer. Once installation is complete it would be your OSX hard drive/SSD.

I assume you will be using Clover bootloader to manage your boot process: You will therefore need to install Clover to the EFI volume of your OSX drive, including any network kexts etc. that you need for the elements of your specific motherboard to work.

Clover, if your config.plist is set correctly, gives you the opportunity to select which OS you want to boot when you start your machine. You can set the 'Default boot volume' i.e. whatever you named your OSX disk during installation e.g. 'Seirra', 'MacHD' or you can set it so the 'last booted volume' is selected during the boot phase. Additionally if you set a reasonable timeout within the Clover config.plist of 5+seconds you have to ability/time to select an alternative volume at boot, using the left and right arrows or your mouse.

For Clover to work in this way the UEFI volume containing OSX needs to be set as 'first' in the boot order in your bios.

Hope that helps.

someguy

macOS
Mobo
Aorus Gaming 5
CPU
GPU
GTX 970
Thank you - I ended up jumping in before you posted.

I did not remove my Win10 install but everything goes fine. I am running Clover without the need for the USB drive. I don't think my Win10 install was UEFI as it does not work, but I can boot into Win10 by first exiting Clover. An extra step but I can live with it.

As of now I just need Hardware encoding enabled and I can be a happy camper.