Dual Boot - How to tell my hackintosh to use the integrated graphics and windows to use the GPU ?

shiro55

macOS
10.11.x
Mobo
GA-Z97-HD3
CPU
i7 4770K
GPU
GTX 1660 SUPER
Hi Everyone,

Brand new on this forum, and I will start my first post with a problem I have on my 2016 hackintosh build with the following specs :

Dual Boot on separate SSD Mac & Windows
i7 4770k
GA-Z97-HD3
8Gb DDR3 2400MHz G.Skill Ares
GTX 960 2Gb

My problem :
I recently bought a new GPU (1660 SUPER 6gb - no nvidia web drivers available) & 2x4gb of ram at 2400MHz (to add to the 8Gb)

I would like to run the integrated graphics for my hackintosh SSD and the 1660 SUPER for my Windows SDD.

I found a few topics online on telling how to install the GPU but not on how to go back to using the integrated graphics. I saw online that you have to enable on the BIOS the integrated graphics but if I do this, I won't be able to use the graphic card anymore for my windows ssd.

I would appreciate some tips on this ! Also would like to know how to tell my hackintosh to use my ram at 2400MHz and not 1600MHz as stated in the system information.

Best,

FatRakoon

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte z170n-WIFI
CPU
Intel 6600
GPU
OnBoard
Im not too hot when it comes to Hackintosh, however, unless I am wrong, the Choice you require is NOT an easy one to do.

When your PC boot up, it goes by the Screen that is connected...

In the BIOS, you can for example have it boot on INTERNAL or PCI CARD, some Motherboards give you a choice of various Cards too, and that card wil be the Priority card.
Soem boards allow you to ONLY have one or the other and some Boards will let you have one as a Primary and another as a secondary.

Different boards give different options.

Some boards will force use of one or the other depending in whether there is a powered on monitor or not?

So, If you have the Windows Monitor connected to a NVIDIA for example and the MAC Monitor connected to an ATI, then maybe if you powered the Windows Monitor down, and had the MAC monitor switched on when you powered it up, then perhaps your BIOS will see a monitor connected to the ATI and it will use that as a default? Same the other way around.
Sure, you still need drivers even for the card you are not using, ( unless your fine with it moaning about not having them? )

Why dont you get a KVM instead though?

What you are asking seems a bit iffy, or are you tring to use the O{nBoard for Hack and the PCI card for Windows?

shiro55

macOS
10.11.x
Mobo
GA-Z97-HD3
CPU
i7 4770K
GPU
GTX 1660 SUPER
Hello FatRakoon,

I've managed to run my mac partition with the igpu, I had to set in my bios priority display to IGFX, and it booted on the mac.

When I choose the windows boot partition with the igpu, I just have to switch the hdmi cable to my graphic card and it works. I'm planning on buying a display port to connect the graphic card and let the hdmi cable on the igpu with using one screen !

FatRakoon

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte z170n-WIFI
CPU
Intel 6600
GPU
OnBoard
So, you have one PC, one screen, but its dual booting and you want MAC on IGFX and WIN on nVidia!

( Just making sure )

The thing is... How do you chose the O/S when booting?

I would have the IGFX defaulting to main display for both, but once windows has booted up, you can force the display to be the main one and have the IGFX as the secondary but have it unused, or off?

Sorry, Im only thinking I dont truly know cos I have not done this as I am one of those people that tried dual booting and decided that I would rather have a seperate PC and use a KVM.

Kind of explains why I have loads of PCs and I am always flat broke!

Also explains why I have a few Motorbikes 2 trikes and 2 cars... I got 2 cars purely because I dont know if I want a Manual or an AUTO and so I got both.... and yeah, one id Diesel and the other petrol... But not do I want a Manual diesel? As you see, I have severe OCD LOL

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
You can set this up by explicitly disabling the discrete GPU for macOS by adding a boot argument to your config.plist, or by using an SSDT.

The config.plist boot argument works with WhateverGreen.kext. If you have this kext installed in macOS then simply add this boot argument to your config -wegnoegpu.

It would look like this in Clover Configurator:

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 14.17.40.png -wegnoegpu boot argument

Disabling a GPU is commonly required for a laptop hack and laptop users tend to use the SSDT-DGPU.aml. Desktop users need to use the attached SSDT-Disable-DDGPU.aml. This SSDT has a number of additional Off settings that work with the various desktop dGPU names. The SSDT should be added to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.

You would need to keep changing how the display is connected, swapping from the discrete GPU to the IGPU when you switch OS's.

So either have both connected permenantly and use the buttons on the display to switch connectors for the appropriate OS.

Alternatively you will need set the case so it is easy to access the rear I/O ports, if you need to move the cable from the dGPU to the IGPU connector each time you switch OS.

Attachments

shiro55

macOS
10.11.x
Mobo
GA-Z97-HD3
CPU
i7 4770K
GPU
GTX 1660 SUPER
So, you have one PC, one screen, but its dual booting and you want MAC on IGFX and WIN on nVidia!

( Just making sure )

The thing is... How do you chose the O/S when booting?

I would have the IGFX defaulting to main display for both, but once windows has booted up, you can force the display to be the main one and have the IGFX as the secondary but have it unused, or off?

Sorry, Im only thinking I dont truly know cos I have not done this as I am one of those people that tried dual booting and decided that I would rather have a seperate PC and use a KVM.

Kind of explains why I have loads of PCs and I am always flat broke!

Also explains why I have a few Motorbikes 2 trikes and 2 cars... I got 2 cars purely because I dont know if I want a Manual or an AUTO and so I got both.... and yeah, one id Diesel and the other petrol... But not do I want a Manual diesel? As you see, I have severe OCD LOL
Exactly :

One PC
1 SSD OSX
1 SSD WIN
1 SCREEN
1 HDMI CABLE CONNECTED FROM IGPU (MOBO) TO SCREEN​
1 DISPLAY PORT CABLE TO GPU​

I switch OS when booting with Clover and Boot option for Windows (haven't figured out yet how to run the WIN partition from the clover menu)

As Edhawk kindly said, I just have to switch the sources from the screen to choose to display one or the other.

You can set this up by explicitly disabling the discrete GPU for macOS by adding a boot argument to your config.plist, or by using an SSDT.

The config.plist boot argument works with WhateverGreen.kext. If you have this kext installed in macOS then simply add this boot argument to your config -wegnoegpu.

It would look like this in Clover Configurator:

View attachment 8386 -wegnoegpu boot argument

Disabling a GPU is commonly required for a laptop hack and laptop users tend to use the SSDT-DGPU.aml. Desktop users need to use the attached SSDT-Disable-DDGPU.aml. This SSDT has a number of additional Off settings that work with the various desktop dGPU names. The SSDT should be added to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.

You would need to keep changing how the display is connected, swapping from the discrete GPU to the IGPU when you switch OS's.

So either have both connected permenantly and use the buttons on the display to switch connectors for the appropriate OS.

Alternatively you will need set the case so it is easy to access the rear I/O ports, if you need to move the cable from the dGPU to the IGPU connector each time you switch OS.
Thanks for your help Edhawk !!

So if I understand well, the easiest way to do this is by using the attached SSDT-Disable-DDGPU.aml ?

Also I'd like to know, I feel like my hackintosh is having some difficulties with some kexts, for exemple:
- the USB3 doesn't work properly all the time
- I can't boot win from the clover boot menu
- the memory frequencies is stuck at 1600MHz but my rams are capable of 2400MHz.
- I tried updating my OS to High Sierra but it's not working, it loads, rebooting and gets me back to the same El Capitan OS.
I know it's not the right thread to do this but could you provide something that could help me troubleshoot everything?

Thanks in advance, I will edit this post to let you know about the SSDT-Disable thing!

EDIT 1: I tried putting the file into the "patched folder" but the graphic cards is still running, is there something I missed ?

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Did you add the WhateverGreen boot argument -wegnoegpu to your config.plist?

If you want help with any other issues start a new thread and provide a copy of your current CLOVER folder, including your extracted ACPI tables.

The ACPI tables can be obtained by pressing the F4 key while you are on the Clover boot screen. The tables will be save to the /CLVOER/ACPI/origin folder on your macOS drive or USB drive, whichever you are using to boot your system from.

shiro55

macOS
10.11.x
Mobo
GA-Z97-HD3
CPU
i7 4770K
GPU
GTX 1660 SUPER
Hello Edhawk, I will create a new thread and update my el capitan to Mojave, thanks for the help on this matter !