macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime Z370-A
CPU
5GHz Intel 6 core i7 8700K
GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11263 MB
Hi
I edit video with Davinci Resolve on a Hackintosh but want to try a dual boot system so I can switch to OS Cent when running Davinci Resolve (Blackmagic have designed it for that OS too). So, I need tech advice to have the option to boot up to OS Cent at start up, but have no idea how to do (someone else built my Hackintosh). So far I've put a 500GB M.2 drive into an external enclosure and intend to put OS Cent and Davinci onto that. Is that viable? And what should I format the M.2 drive as? MS DOS? And should I partition it so Cent OS is on one partition and Davinci on another?
This is my first post but I'm keen to learn more about my Hackintosh, so any walk throughs for this would be much appreciated.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
2 x Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Here are a couple of links to some multi-booting guides by Going Bald over at Tonymacx86, you can ignore the Windows sections if you don't want to tripple boot:

Boot macOS, Windows and Linux on single HD - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi.197352/

Boot macOS, Windows and Linux on separate HD's - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi-on-separate-drives.198869/

I am not sure if the External enclosure will be fast enough for running CentOS, it would depend on how it was connected. Your motherboard contains two M.2 connectors, you may be better off using the second M.2 connector rather than an external enclosure.

This is the M.2 information from the specification page for your motherboard:

1 x M.2 Socket 3, , with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA mode & X4 PCIE mode)*1
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE mode only)*2

*1. The M.2_1 socket shares SATA_1 port when use M.2 SATA mode device. Adjust BIOS settings to use a SATA device.
*2. The M.2_2 socket shares SATA_56 ports when use M.2 PCIE mode device in X4 mode. Adjust BIOS settings to use M.2 PCIE devices in X4 mode.

Your motherboard supports Thunderbolt, it has one internal header. If the external enclosure is connected via a Thunderbolt add-on card then it should be fast enough to run an OS.

Cent OS has a couple of restrictions when it comes to creating a USB installer. You need to read the Wiki page before you attempt to create the USB installer - https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey

As DaVinci Resolve 16 is a software package you do not need to set up a separate drive or partition for it to run. It can be installed and run on either macOS or Cent OS.

I have assumed you have your Hackintosh up and running with the USB ports active from an SSDT-UIAC.aml or USBPorts.kext.

macOS
Mobo
Asus Prime Z370-A
CPU
5GHz Intel 6 core i7 8700K
GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11263 MB
Here are a couple of links to some multi-booting guides by Going Bald over at Tonymacx86, you can ignore the Windows sections if you don't want to tripple boot:

Boot macOS, Windows and Linux on single HD - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi.197352/

Boot macOS, Windows and Linux on separate HD's - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi-on-separate-drives.198869/

I am not sure if the External enclosure will be fast enough for running CentOS, it would depend on how it was connected. Your motherboard contains two M.2 connectors, you may be better off using the second M.2 connector rather than an external enclosure.

This is the M.2 information from the specification page for your motherboard:

1 x M.2 Socket 3, , with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA mode & X4 PCIE mode)*1
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE mode only)*2

*1. The M.2_1 socket shares SATA_1 port when use M.2 SATA mode device. Adjust BIOS settings to use a SATA device.
*2. The M.2_2 socket shares SATA_56 ports when use M.2 PCIE mode device in X4 mode. Adjust BIOS settings to use M.2 PCIE devices in X4 mode.

Your motherboard supports Thunderbolt, it has one internal header. If the external enclosure is connected via a Thunderbolt add-on card then it should be fast enough to run an OS.

Cent OS has a couple of restrictions when it comes to creating a USB installer. You need to read the Wiki page before you attempt to create the USB installer - https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey

As DaVinci Resolve 16 is a software package you do not need to set up a separate drive or partition for it to run. It can be installed and run on either macOS or Cent OS.

I have assumed you have your Hackintosh up and running with the USB ports active from an SSDT-UIAC.aml or USBPorts.kext.
Thanks for this, Edhawk.
But, unfortunately both the M.2 slots on the mobo are in use which I only discovered after buying the M.2. So I can connect it via thunderbolt and see how fast it works. Thanks for the post though - there's a lot of stuff (like what's "POST") I'm going to have to look up to make sense of the stages. However... going back to basics, when I attach the M.2 drive it says "drive not recognised" and that I must initialise it. Should I initialise by erasing as 'Mac OS Extended (journaled) or will the PC not be able to read that so I'm given the option to use the Linux system on booting up? Should I format the drive as MS-DOS? And what of the GUID vs Apple partition map? I get that I don't have to partition so should I go with the default?
Many thanks

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
2 x Powercolor RX 580 8GB
What are you using the two M.2 connections for?

You should be able to connect via Thunderbolt if you have your Asus Thunderbolt card active and the external enclosure supports your M.2 drive.

POST is the Bios startup. As in POST screen, when you are able to press the Del or F2 or F12 button to access the Bios.

If the M.2 drive is not formatted as HFS+ or APFS High Sierra will say it needs to be initialised. If you already have data on the drive you do not want to initialise the drive, as it will wipe all the existing data, so your other OS won't be able to read it.

When looking at this Linux distro you need to format the M.2 drive as required by CentOS. That not be NTFS, FAT, HFS+ or APFS but rather the specific Linux format and partition map required by CentOS. You may be able to create an additional partition on the CentOS M.2 drive that is one of those formats, so you can easily share data between the OS's.

From what I recall of Going Bald's thread/guide for multibooting. You need to remove the other drives when you are installing a new OS. Otherwise you can have issues such as you are encountering, i.e. only have the CentOS M.2 drive connected when installing that OS.