zzmadd

macOS
Mobo
Asus Rog Strix Z370-I Gaming
CPU
i3-8100
GPU
iGPU Intel UHD 630
I’m having a hard time making the dual GPUs I3-7100 iGPU + GT 1030 work.
Both graphic cards and setup work flawlessly when implemented singularly.
When I try to get iGPU acceleration when connecting the monitor to the GT 1030 FinalCutProX reboots the PC.
If I use ig-platform-id 0x59120000, SMBIOS 18,3/18,1/18,2, Shikivga=60/Shikivga=1/no Shiki flag, GFX0 to iGPU Patch, as soon as I export/render in FinalCutProX I get a reboot.
Whenever I change ig-platform-id to 0x59120003 the I3-7100 iGPU doesn’t get recognised and of course the export is performed without a problem.

Can this type of Dual GPU setup work? Can anyone help implementing it?
Thanks a lot!!

zzmadd

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i3-8100
GPU
iGPU Intel UHD 630
Can anybody help, even just with testing direction?
Thanks a lot.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I would suggest you have a look at this guide - https://hackintosher.com/guides/fix-rendering-issues-fcpx-high-sierra/

It runs through the process for setting up the built in Intel graphics and a discrete graphics card for FCPX. If you have already followed this guide and haven't been able to fix your issues I would suggest you start again at the beginning after you have removed any fixes you previously applied.

zzmadd

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i3-8100
GPU
iGPU Intel UHD 630
Hi Edhawk,

thanks for your reply.
It's quite simple: the guide doesn't work.
Whenever you set ig-platform-id to 0x59120003 the iGPU ceases to be recognised. FCPX doesn't reboot the system BUT the iGPU is not there. it's like setting up the system for JUST the Nvidia GT 1030.
Whenever you set ig-platform-id to 0x59120000 iGPU works fine (including Quick Synch) in a SOLO configuration, BUT it reboots the system when in dual GPU.

Whenever you set ig-platform-id to 0x59120003
Macxvideoconverter shows hardware Acceleration is Enabled BUT on the GT 1030 not in the iGPU with Quick Synch and the system doesn't recognise in the profile the presence of the iGPU.

Any idea how to fix this??

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I think there is something going on with your bios settings for your CPU. The screenshot you attached says your i3-8100 has 2 cores, Intel Ark says your CPU has 4 cores and 4 threads.

I would check this out in the Bios, if you have unintentionally disabled two of the CPU cores this may be why the Intel 630 graphics is giving you problems.

Log in to the bios, set system defaults and only change the minimum in the bios, i.e. disable intel vt-d, enable XHCI, enable Intel graphics, set intel graphics to 128mb and set your board to boot from your macOS drive. See if this activates all 4 cores.

zzmadd

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i3-8100
GPU
iGPU Intel UHD 630
thanks for your reply!!
It is a i3-7100, I'm talking about a different system.
The one I'm trying to fix is someone else PC, while on the ark is my own system which is an i3-8100.
These options are already set: "disable intel vt-d, enable XHCI, enable Intel graphics, set intel graphics to 128mb"

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I didn't realise. The i3-7100 only has two cores. It has HD 630 graphics not the UHD that the i3-8100 CPU uses.

From what I have read the following Clover settings should have the i3-7100 (HD630 ) working in macOS High Sierra:

- GRAPHICS : Check "InjectIntel"

- GRAPHICS : “ig-platform-id” changed to 0x59120000

- DEVICES : "IntelGFX" changed to 0x59128086

- BOOT : Add “-disablegfxfirmware” under Custom Flags

Post a copy of the EFI Clover folder and let us have a look at what is happening on this other machine.

zzmadd

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i3-8100
GPU
iGPU Intel UHD 630
Hi Edhawk thanks again for your help!!

"- GRAPHICS : Check "InjectIntel"
- GRAPHICS : “ig-platform-id” changed to 0x59120000
- DEVICES : "IntelGFX" changed to 0x59128086
- BOOT : Add “-disablegfxfirmware” under Custom Flags"
Using these settings I get iGPU working on its own, but Final Cut Pro X immediately reboots the machine once I click on render when using DUAL GPU: iGPU + GT 1030 2GB.
You can download the EFI folder here: https://mab.to/qcbtaxFZv

In the config file you find “-disablegfxfirmware” disabled, but I've tested with it enable or disabled and there's no difference. It depends ont he following setting.
In the config file you find “ig-platform-id” changed to 0x59120003. With this configuration iGPU is not seen and I can use Nvidia GT 1030 without disabling the iGPU in the bios. With “ig-platform-id” changed to 0x59120000 running render in Final Cut Pro X with dual GPU leads to an immediate reboot.

Thanks a lot!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Ok, looking at the clover folder, I would suggest the following:

Kexts:
  1. Delete FakePCIID and the 'Deleted' folder.
  2. I would recommend that you try installing all the other kexts, bar FakeSMC.kext, in /Library/Extensions (/L/E).
  3. Have you installed the HWMonitor app and FakeSMC sensor kexts on this machine, where are they /L/E or /S/L/E?
  4. Does the Hack work without the EFICheckDisabler.kext, if yes don't place the kext in /L/E.
Drivers64UEFI
  1. Delete VBoxHfs-64.efi, you don't need this and HFSPlus.efi.
Config.plist
  1. I really wouldn't know where to start with this! There are so many duplicate entries, some for other machines!! No wonder the i3-7100 machine is struggling to boot correctly.
  2. I have attached a clean config.plist, that should deal with a lot of the issues your original config.plist brought to the mix.
Make the changes recommended above and install the attached config.plist and let me know what happens.

Attachments

zzmadd

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i3-8100
GPU
iGPU Intel UHD 630
Hi Edhawk, thanks again for your help!!!

Kexts:
"3. Have you installed the HWMonitor app and FakeSMC sensor kexts on this machine, where are they /L/E or /S/L/E."
I don't have them installed. I don't like them, I use Intel Power Gadget to check temps if necessary.
"4. Does the Hack work without the EFICheckDisabler.kext, if yes don't place the kext in /L/E."
Yes it does.

Drivers64UEFI
"1. Delete VBoxHfs-64.efi, you don't need this and HFSPlus.efi."
HFSPlus.efi is necessary otherwise the macOS boot disc is not seen at all.

Config.plist
"1. I really wouldn't know where to start with this! There are so many duplicate entries, some for other machines!! No wonder the i3-7100 machine is struggling to boot correctly."
The machine doesn't struggle at all. It boots perfectly. It's when I run Render in Final Cut Pro that the machine reboots.
When I created this machine, there was a weird issue with this motherboard that was leading to a "reboot" whenever I was doing a "shut down". Maldonado from InsanelyMac fixed it but in the process probably used one of his config.plist that are in the condition you've seen. Mine was brand new. But again he fixed the issue with reboot.

What editor do you use for config.plist? Is Clover ok to be used?

After all of this we're at square 1, FCPX reboots the machine on "Render".
Now I test the configuration copying the files to L/E.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I use Xcode and/or Clover Configurator for editing confit.plist files.

Xcode is fine if you know what you are doing with the config. It is a free app from Apple, but is much more than just a plist editor.

Clover Configurator has a good GUI and an ever increasing number of preset drop down lists. This can help anyone that maybe unsure where to find patches etc. It also has a text mode, which if you looked at your original config.plist in this setting you would see what I mean about duplicate entries, all of which have the number/hashtag prefix #

Not sure why the -disablegfxfirmware would cause an issue, it was added to Clover to fix issues with the newer CPU graphics.

zzmadd

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i3-8100
GPU
iGPU Intel UHD 630
Not sure why the -disablegfxfirmware would cause an issue, it was added to Clover to fix issues with the newer CPU graphics.
In my testing a couple of months ago it just rendered slower as it probably does something to the GPU firmware. They might run slower or something.

zzmadd

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i3-8100
GPU
iGPU Intel UHD 630
Ok, I've installed all the kext into L/E, rebuilt kache, rebooted
Run FCP and the PC reboots as before when I click Render in FCP X.

With this configuration the iGPU is seen by the system but FCP X doesn't know how to distribute the render between intel iGPU and Nvidia GT 1030 and you get a reboot.

Can it be because the Nvidia Drivers are thought for the MacPro 5,1, the latest Mac in which you can drop in a discrete Graphics card? those Xeons don't have an iGPUs. Even though now Apple enabled external graphics through Thunderbolt 3 and any Mac should be able to detect and manage multiple GPUs.

Any idea?

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The Nvidia WebDrivers are not for any specific Mac model. They are not authorised by Apple so can be used on any Smbios. They should always be viewed as being 'Experimental' and not Alpha level drivers.

The config.plist I posted for you contains a iMac 18.3 Smbios, which I believe should work with the i3-7100 CPU. However, as none of the iMac 18.3 models come with an i3 CPU this may be part of the problem.

Can you open the config.plist I posted in Clover Configurator and select a 18.1 or 18.2 smbios and see if either of these make any difference to the render reboot issues.

The other issue may be that the Kaby Lake i3-7100 CPU is not able to undertake the render task, only having two cores. It may get over stressed while attempting the render task and fail, resulting in kernel panic and reboot. Your friend may have to settle for the render task being solely undertaken by the Nvidia graphics card.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I have attached three config.plists in the zipped folder, try these out.

config_181.plist - smbios iMac 18.1
config_182.plist - smbios iMac 18.2
config_183.plist - smbios iMac 18.3 (same as one attached above in post 9)

Attachments

zzmadd

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i3-8100
GPU
iGPU Intel UHD 630
Hi Edhawk, thanks again for your dedication in helping me!!
Really appreciated.

The SMBIOS issue is definitely a possibility.
I will test both the 18,1 and 18,2 SMBIOS tomorrow morning.

Thanks on top of thanks for making the config.plist, you didn't have to.
Really appreciated.

In relationship to the i3-7100. When I use SMBIOS 18,1 with JUST the iinternal HD620 GPU FCPX renders nicely and it takes less than the GT 1030 2GB alone.
Internal GPU suck but they're good at rendering video. I suspect Apple heavily optimized FCPX to take advantage of those iGPUs.

Bruce Test iGPU = 76sec
Bruce Test GT 1030 2GB = 81sec (but this value improves significantly from 10.13.3 to 10.13.5 and the latest Web Drivers). It was at around 100Sec. Nvidia and Apple are making progress.

Tomorrow I will post the findings.

zzmadd

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i3-8100
GPU
iGPU Intel UHD 630
Hi Edhawk,

I tested both SMBIOS 18,2 and 18,1 but the PC doesn't change behaviour.
In FCP X when I click on render the PC reboots.
I suspect it has to do wth the CPU being an i3 and MacOS expecting it to be an i5/i7.
There might be differences in how the code is handled.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
It may well be how the code is handled, Apple would most definitely have optimised FCPX for the Intel CPU's they use. This one having two less cores may not handle the process so well. However, if that were the case then I would expect the render reboot issue to arise when just the Intel HD 630 were used, you said that isn't the case.

I believe the config.plist issues are resolved, at this time. So short of replacing the CPU all we can now do is clarify if his Nvidia card as the cause of this render reboot issue. It may be a specific issue with his card that is causing the reboot.

Are you able to install another Nvidia or AMD card in the machine, if yes, can you see if the same reboot issues occur when running the render process.

If the same issue occurs with a different card I think your friend might have to settle for second best with regards the render work on this machine, i.e. only use the Intel GPU not the GT 1030 for the render work, slow as it may be on its own.

The other option would be to buy a better CPU and possibly an AMD graphics card that works out of the box in macOS.

I am assuming that your Hack, with the same Nvidia graphics card and better CPU works just fine when dealing with the same render work.

zzmadd

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i3-8100
GPU
iGPU Intel UHD 630
Hi Edhawk,

no that's not the case. The i3-7100 iGPU HD630 works in a single card configuration. I mean it doesn't lead to reboot when rendering.

Unluckily I've been troubleshooting, or better trying to have both cards working on this PC, from distance, using Teamviewer to change the EFi and config files. if I had it here I would be swapping graphics card, but from distance it's not feasible.

In relationship to my configuration, I'm atm just using the i3-8100 iGPU. It works so well for what I've got to do, which is the simplest of the PC work, that haven't bothered testing dual GPUs, BUT in a couple of days I'll have a new case coming and I will test the dual GPU setup myself.
I let you know how it goes once I get the new case and setup the new configuration.

Thanks again for your help!!

Last edited: