macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370 HD3
CPU
i7-8700
GPU
XFxRX570
Hello folks!
I'm a happy hackintosher for a couple of weeks now. It works fine, but I'm wondering if I'm doing it right.
I can't boot on my MacOS partition unless I have a USB flash drive with an EFI partition plugged in. Also, when I want to fix some issue (like adding a kext), I do it in this flash drive EFI partition. I have the feeling I should not need that external EFI, and could use the EFI partition on my SSD instead. I also have the feeling that if it ain't broken, I shouldn't fix it ;)
Therefore, I'd like to understand a little bit more on what's going on with those EFI paritions of mine.
Maybe I should precise that I have another SSD with Windows as dual boot. To boot on Windows, I need to do it throught the BIOS on startup, by selecting the correct SSD.
Thanks for you enlightment :)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
You need to install Clover to your SSD for the system to boot without needing the USB Drive. This will create the Bootloader and EFI Folder in the EFI Partition on your SSD.

What you then need to do is copy your CLOVER folder from your USB Drive and paste it in to the newly created EFI Folder on your SSD, which has just been mounted on your desktop (assuming you have set Mojave to show your hard drives). This will over write the generic CLOVER folder with your working CLOVER folder.

Then you can eject your USB, reboot your system and it should boot from your SSD, as long as you have set the SSD as the first/priority drive in your bios.

When you have Clover installed to your SSD, the Clover boot screen should display a number of Icons; for your Mac that will include Mojave, Preboot & Recovery if you are dual booting Windows, you will have the Boot Microsoft EFI and a few other Legacy partition icons.

You need to select the 'Boot Microsoft EFI' icon to boot in to Windows from Clover.

If you add the following names to the Hide Volumes Section of your config.plsit this will hide a number of unnecessary icons:

\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi - hides Bootx64.efi icon
Preboot - hides any Preboot icons
Recovery - hides macOS and Windows recovery partitions
Windows - hides windows partition, not the System boot partition
Legacy - hides a number of other NTFS Data partitions.

These names would look like this in Clover Configurator (see top right corner of screenshot):

Screenshot 2019-06-18 at 14.46.01.png

Or like this in a Plist editor:

<key>GUI</key>​
<dict>​
<key>Hide</key>​
<array>​
<string>\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI</string>​
<string>Preboot</string>​
<string>Recovery</string>​
<string>Windows</string>​
<string>Legacy</string>​
</array>​

Od1

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370 HD3
CPU
i7-8700
GPU
XFxRX570
Hello Edhawk, thank you for your explanations.
After mounting the SSD and the flash drive EFI partitions, I copied the content so the SSD EFI folder reflects the Flash Drive one. I ejected and unplugged the Flash Drive and restarted the computer, booting on the MacOS SSD. It did not want to boot. No Clover boot screen showed up, it just went back to BIOS boot drive selection screen. When booting on the Windows SSD, Windows boots just fine. When I replug the Flash Drive with MacOS EFI partition and boot on it, it boots with clover and MacOS just fine.
There is definitely something wrong somewhere. But as long as it kinda works with the Flash Drive, it's fine for me.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
You need to follow the correct instructions when installing Clover and copying your amended CLOVER folder to the EFI Folder on the EFI Partition on your macOS boot drive.

These are the steps you need to follow when installing Clover for a UEFI system, to your Boot Drive:

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 15.56.56.png Select Continue

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 15.57.06.png Select Continue

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 15.57.24.png Select Continue

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 15.57.44.png Select Change Install Location.. Button

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 15.58.10.png Make sure your macOS boot drive is selected

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 15.58.21.png Make sure your macOS USB installer is not selected.

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 15.58.34.png Select the 'Customise' button

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 15.58.50.png Make sure the top two and bottom options are selected:
  • Clover for UEFI booting only
  • Install Clover in the ESP
  • Install Clover Preference Pane.
  • The other options do not matter, as the CLOVER folder I provided will deal with these options.
Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 15.59.23.png After selecting the 'Install' button, you will be asked to provide your password.

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 16.20.47.png Clover will then complete and leave the EFI Partition for your Boot Drive mounted on the Desktop.

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 16.22.30.png Open the EFI Partition

Screenshot 2019-06-22 at 16.24.04.png Open the EFI Folder, now copy and paste or drag & drop the CLOVER folder from your USB Drive in to this EFI Folder. It will overwrite the un-formatted CLOVER folder with the formatted CLOVER folder you need to use.

You can now eject the USB Drive and reboot your system.

It should automatically boot from your macOS drive, if it has been selected as the priority boot drive in your BIOS. IF it is not the priority/first boot drive it will not be found and the system will hang at or just after the Bios screen.

Od1

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370 HD3
CPU
i7-8700
GPU
XFxRX570
Thanks Edhawk for the detailed explanations. I did just as you said, used Clover to create an EFI partition on the MacOS SSD, copied my USB Drive CLOVER folder on it, ejeted the USB drive, and booted on the SSD. I ended up on a black screen...
Maybe I should try to disconnect the SSD containing the Windows install to see what happend. But I don't have too much time to invest on that troubleshooting, so I guess I'll still boot on my USB Drive, which works just fine :)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I haven't seen your CLOVER folder so I am make a few assumptions. If you can post a copy of your CLOVER folder I would be happy to have a look at it to see if it needs any tweaks.

I don't know what you may have done but if your Clover folder works on the USB then it should work when you install Clover to your SSD and use the same CLOVER folder.

It could be you are now subject to the common Black Screen issue that some RX cards, encounter. There are a couple of fixes for this:

One is to use a DisplayPort connection instead of a HDMI connection to your monitor. For some reason the DP side tends to work better, probably because Apple don't use HDMI.

Od1

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370 HD3
CPU
i7-8700
GPU
XFxRX570
Here's my CLOVER folder.
I'll have a try booting on the SSD with the monitor connected by DisplayPort.
Thx!

Attachments

Od1

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370 HD3
CPU
i7-8700
GPU
XFxRX570
Using DP did not solve the black screen issue when booting on the SSD.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Try using the CLOVER folder attached below. Let me know how you get on with this folder.

Attachments

Latest posts