Enabling Third Party Broadcom WLAN 802.11a/b/g/n WIFI + Bluetooth Cards on a Hackintosh BCM94352Z, BCM94322

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
2 x Powercolor RX 580 8GB
@ RandomTech, you are correct it is not always the case. Of course you can use Windows to see if the Bluetooth and wifi are working, or if you have a defective card, as was found in your case. All I was trying to say was that getting the BT and wifi to work under Windows does not mean it will automatically work OOB or with the installation of a few kexts in macOS.

I would also mention that a number to the Z370 motherboards include Intel and ASMedia USB controllers. The ASMedia controller is usually for a few USB 3.1 ports, which can confuse the issue when working on the SSDT. So it may be worth looking at your motherboard manual to see which ports are governed by the two controllers.

@ blackbox, would you mind attaching a copy of your IOReg and config.plist so I can see what is happening with the USB ports on your system.

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte GA Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7 8700K
GPU
RX Vega 64
All I was trying to say was that getting the BT and wifi to work under Windows does not mean it will automatically work OOB or with the installation of a few kexts in macOS.
Thats no question about, I assume people are using a macOS compatible wifi/bt card only, but you maybe right we never know what each user is doing.

Barncore

macOS
Hey guys sorry for the basic question. I'm about to buy a Gigabyte Z370N Wifi ITX motherboard. Do i have a full size WLAN slot or a half size? Trying to learn which wifi card i need to buy.

It's a bit confusing because some cards are around $10 and some are $30+, but they seem to be the same model numbers as far as i can tell. Is this normal? What details do i have to be mindful of when buying a wifi card for the Z370N? What options do i have for different brands? I'm on a budget. Thanks

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
What might be confusing you is that the M.2 NGFF card is classed as a mini card. Which is different to the older full and half-height wifi/BT cards.

I believe you need the Broadcom BCM94352Z DW1560 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WLAN + Bluetooth 4.0 M.2 NGFF Mini Card for the Z370 motherboard slot.

Barncore

macOS
Broadcom BCM94352Z DW1560 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WLAN + Bluetooth 4.0 M.2 NGFF Mini Card
Those are quite expensive in Australia ($35-40). Are there any other budget options? I paid extra for my MoBo because i was advised that replacing the inbuilt Wifi card would be cheaper than buying an PCIe wifi card. But the Fenvi cards are $50 in Aus.
Are there other options i can explore?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
I think that is the price in A$, even for a second hand Broadcom card on eBay. Intel cards are obviously cheaper than the Broadcom cards but won't work with macOS.

Barncore

macOS
I'm reading that the BCM94352Z has some native bluetooth issues, such as BT keyboard not getting recognised in BIOS. Apparently the BCM94360CS2 (+ NGFF adapter), although slower, does get recognised by BIOS / Clover screen though. Is this true? Or is misleading information? If true, maybe i should go the BCM94360CS2 route

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
I've not heard about any native issues with the BCM94352Z. But I have only installed an NGFF wifi/BT card in one hack I built for my son's friend. This build contained a Kaby Lake Z270 motherboard, and I used a wired keyboard when setting up macOS & Windows on the machine.

I have a number of pci-e adapters containing BCM43602CS combo wifi/BT cards. These all work just fine, never had any issues using my Apple Bluetooth keyboard with one of these cards at the Clover boot screen or in the Bios. The BCM43602CS cards work OOB with continuity and handoff, i.e. I haven't had to install any kexts or other fixes for them to work.

However, I would point out that the pci-e adapter cards I use need to be connected by a USB cable to a spare motherboard header. The NGFF adapter may require a different fix for the BT USB controller to be activated and accessible at boot time.

john2095

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z370N
CPU
GPU
RX580
@Barncore I've got two of the same motherboard (GA-Z370N). I bought two of the ...CS2's from ebay for AU$21 each (delivered) then had to wait weeks for the NGFF adapters to arrive from HK AU$19ea.

I pulled out the intel wifi card to reveal the pci slot and plugged the piggybacked (ngff+bcm) cards in. Neither of them seemed to work... until I actually plugged in both, the pigtails, AND actually connected the aerials! Believe it or not the pigtails alone can't seem to reach even a few meters to an access point in the same room. Then it worked perfectly for one of the boards with no work done at all (both Coffee Lake 8700s).

The other I just couldn't get anything to happen. At length, after swapping the BCM...CS2 cards around, I concluded that one of BCM cards is a dud! Remember these things are recycled from dead macbooks. So I found another broadcom card on ebay @AU$19 (delivered) and waited for arrival (BCM94356Z - 356, not 352!); this one plugs directly into the mobo (so no ngff adapter) but I haven't had any joy getting that to work either (yet-not all avenues exhausted). No doubt I'll be back if i can't get it going. I might add that I've tested the 356Z on linux; works so not a hardware fault).

Greg007

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming
CPU
I5 8600K
GPU
Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX560 4GB GDDR5
I just ordered this one:Fenvi
It should work OTB, will see...

Mobo
Gigabyte Z370N WiFi
CPU
i5 8400
GPU
Sapphire PULSE RX 580
I just got rid of the BCM94352Z - I should have been more careful from the get go. Instead, I bought a cheap M2.NGFF adapter through AliExpress and connected one of my old BCM943224PCIEBT2 lying around. "Everything just works!"

Works great OOB on all - Windows and Mac with all bluetooth devices.

No more 3rd party kext - RehabMan's stuff. Which also means you can turn on System Integrity Protection for a slight peace of mind.

Final ask for prospective hackintoshers - Don't buy the BCM94352Z. Get an original Apple Wifi/BT chip and a NGFF adapter.

Hi Guys,
I've recently installed mojave, and still can't get the BCM94532Z (dell version) to work...
I've already figured out all the rest (USB, Audio, Sleep/Restart, etc..) only this one still remains. I've tried all the proper kexts from RehabMan and the Guide by toleda on tonymac, but no success.
I was told that this Broadcom card can't work if you assemble it instead of the default intel card, and should be pluged with a PCIe adapter. Since I have a mini-itx board, I would like to save the PCIe slot for other uses.
So questions are:
1. Does anybody know a definite answer to whether this card can be used in the socket 1 slot or not?
2. If can not, Did anybody got it working smoothly via PCIe adapter and can link me to a guide?
3. Any other suggestions for a card that can be used in the socket 1 slot?

Thanks a lot to whoever gets the time to help!
And of course if anybody has questions about my build, hope I can help..

Last edited:

john2095

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z370N
CPU
GPU
RX580
I'm with Hack-a-Shaq; if it works at all, it's not worth the pain trying to get it to work. I'm back to trying to get the CS2 I started with going, which seemed to be a dud so I went looking for a replacement (because I had a second one which worked without lifting a finger) whilst this one doesn't... unless it's a dud NGFF adapter :-(

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU

pixyy

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac
CPU
i5-8400
GPU
UHD630
I think the main problem with no Bluetooth showing up for this card is the failure to correctly activate the USB port that the Bluetooth controller needs to be connected to under macOS.

Just because something works under Windows does not mean it should and will automatically work under macOS.

The majority of people seem to fail to understand that Apple's USB workings are not the same as Windows.

If you have not identified all the active USB ports on your machine, and then created a customised SSDT-UIAC, which you have saved to EFI/ACPI/Patched folder in your EFI partition then the USB ports may not function correctly. Commonly this means that the BT USB Controller is not active.

The way to check to see if you have an active USB BT Controller is to open 'IORegistry Explorer' and inspect the USB ports to see if you have an active USB BT - see screenshot showing an active BT controller on my Hack:

View attachment 1686

If you find you don't have an active USB BT Controller then you now know what to do, follow Rehabman's guide to create a custom SSDT - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

Corpnewt has also created a Python script called 'USBMap' for mapping out USB ports, which can be downloaded from GitHub - Py script for mapping out USB ports and creating a custom SSDT or injector kext (WIP) - https://github.com/corpnewt/USBMap

For both routes it is necessary that the system ports be correctly identified for both USB 2 and USB 3 usage. The easiest way to do this is to have a blank/empty USB 2 pen drive and another empty USB 3 drive that you can quickly and easily plug in to each port on your system, one at a time and create a list of the ports that are identified in IORegistry Explorer or USBMAP, it is the same using either process.

I used Rehabman's process as it has been around longer and I understand what is being asked, as I have had to follow this process multiple times, once for each of my Hacks.
Thanks EdHawk for all your expertise in this thread. I built my first hackintosh in december. Everything works great...except bluetooth.
I have followed along so far and suspect (feared) that what you mention above is true for me.
Wifi is working, but Bluetooth is not (on this DW1560 mini card https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0156DVQ7G/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

I say feared, because I am out of my depth here.
I attach a screenshot from the IOReg from Terminal (since i don't have any developer tools), that shows no detected controller for BT.
Reading through the guide for creating a custom SSDT i have no idea where even to start.

Is there anyone who can instruct/assist me on what to do in my specific situation?
Is the alternative to buy a little USB bluetooh dongle, or would that have the same issue?

Attaching overview of my EFI/Clover and Library/Extensions folders as well as my config.plist for reference.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
pixyy, you need to have your matched pairs of kexts in the same location, not one in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and the other in /Library/Extension
I would do the following:
  • Move all the kexts except virtualSMC.kext from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and drop them on your desktop.
  • I would add BrcmNonPatchRAM2.kext to the kexts on your desktop.
  • Install the kexts you placed on your desktop (make sure there are no other kexts on the desktop) using Kext Beast, select to install them to /Library/Extensions.
  • Once Kext Beast is finished and confirms the kexts have been installed you need to repair permissions and rebuild the kernel cache using Kext Utility.
  • Reboot the system once Kext Utility has completed its tasks.
Then see whether the wifi and specifically the bluetooth is identified and working.

Having these kexts in /Library/Extensions is I believe a better way to go. As the kexts are included in the Kernel Cache and not individually injected as part of the Clover boot process.

We can look at your USB issues in another thread, I suggest you start a new thread in the Help section for this issue.

I have attached an amended config.plist, try this in your system but separately from the kext relocation recommended above.

Your motherboard contains the following components, as stated on the ASRock Specification page - https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z370M-ITXac/index.asp#Specification

1. ALC892 audio codec
  2. Intel i219-V Ethernet port
  3. Intel USB controller and
  4. Intel ac wifi module, which you have obviously changed.
The ALC892 codec requires one of the following layout ID's - 1, 2, 3, (4 for laptop), 5, 7, 12, 28, 31, 92, 98, 99. Your current config.plist is injecting Layout '1' is this working for you?

Let the know how you get on with the kext move and trying the amended config.plist.

Attachments

pixyy

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac
CPU
i5-8400
GPU
UHD630
pixyy, you need to have your matched pairs of kexts in the same location, not one in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and the other in /Library/Extension
I would do the following:
  • Move all the kexts except virtualSMC.kext from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and drop them on your desktop.
  • I would add BrcmNonPatchRAM2.kext to the kexts on your desktop.
  • Install the kexts you placed on your desktop (make sure there are no other kexts on the desktop) using Kext Beast, select to install them to /Library/Extensions.
  • Once Kext Beast is finished and confirms the kexts have been installed you need to repair permissions and rebuild the kernel cache using Kext Utility.
  • Reboot the system once Kext Utility has completed its tasks.
Then see whether the wifi and specifically the bluetooth is identified and working.

Having these kexts in /Library/Extensions is I believe a better way to go. As the kexts are included in the Kernel Cache and not individually injected as part of the Clover boot process.
I moved the kexts as described above to L/E and rebooted.
This did not seem to change anything. The Bluetooth icon in the statusbar still shows "Not Available" and the IOreg is the same as in my original screenshot

We can look at your USB issues in another thread, I suggest you start a new thread in the Help section for this issue.
I will make a new post if that makes sense. I brought it up here since the bcm94352z chip in the M2 slot is considered a USB device and that it only seems to register the Wifi part and not the BT part?

I have attached an amended config.plist, try this in your system but separately from the kext relocation recommended above.
Applied the amended config.plist (separately from moving the kexts).
When I restarted the system was hanging while booting. Once while at (see "boot image1" and after that at (see "boot image2"). I rebooted twice with the same experience.
The system seems to work OK, but audio was no longer available through DP on my screen - which is where I have my soundbar plugged in.

Bluetooth was not working with the new plist, so I reverted back to my previous.

Your motherboard contains the following components, as stated on the ASRock Specification page - https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z370M-ITXac/index.asp#Specification
  1. ALC892 audio codec
  2. Intel i219-V Ethernet port
  3. Intel USB controller and
  4. Intel ac wifi module, which you have obviously changed.
The ALC892 codec requires one of the following layout ID's - 1, 2, 3, (4 for laptop), 5, 7, 12, 28, 31, 92, 98, 99. Your current config.plist is injecting Layout '1' is this working for you?

Let the know how you get on with the kext move and trying the amended config.plist.
Sound has not been an issue so far (I get from the moptherboard line out, as well as through DisplayPort on my screen.

Thanks so much for taking time to look into this. I appreciate it!

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
With the kexts moved to /L/E can you have a look at your System Information - Bluetooth report and see if anything is detected? My Bluetooth report is shown in the screenshot below:

Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 14.59.35.png

A USB dongle will work but won't usually provide the Apple Handoff or the Continuity features, choose this as a last resort.

Fixing your USB ports can be confusing but it is a fairly straightforward task, not that any of the guides show this!

Basically what you need to do is this:
  • You need to have a blank USB 2 and USB 3 pen drive to hand.
  • You need to install IORegistry Explorer (IOReg), copy of the App is attached.
  • Your config.plist needs to include the following DSDT rename patches:
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>change EHC1 to EH01</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
RUhDMQ==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
RUgwMQ==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>change EHC2 to EH02</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
RUhDMg==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
RUgwMg==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>change XHCI to XHC_</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
WEhDSQ==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
WEhDXw==
</data>
</dict>

In Clover Configurator these patched look like this:

Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 15.10.15.png
  • Open IOReg and navigate to the USB section, EH01 being the first in the list for older CPU's XHC may be first for newer CPU's.
Mine looks like this as I have no active ports on the EH01 or EH02 controllers:

Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 15.13.17.png

My XHC controller shows only my active ports, as I have created a customised SSDT for my system:

Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 15.21.03.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 15.22.39.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 15.23.13.png

It also shows the built-in USB components and additional USB components I have connected to my system.
  • With IOReg open, insert the USB 2 pen drive in to the first of your case USB ports, it doesn't matter if it is a USB 3 port, as it will also work for USB 2 drives and you need to map both. Doing this should cause a new section to appear in the XHC section, as shown in this screenshot of HS02 - Cruzer Blade USB installed to port on top of my case:
Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 15.26.20.png
  • So in my case I had to record that my Top left port was active on HS02.
  • You need to do this will all your USB ports, first for USB 2 and then with the USB 3 pen drive. To build up a list of active ports.
  • You may end up with a list something like the list in the attached PDF. This is just a sample of how to record the USB ports.
  • Once you have compiled your list of active ports you need to have to hand a copy of Rehabman's USBInjectAll_master folder, which is available via this link, select download Zip to have a copy downloaded to your system - https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-USB-Inject-All
  • Open the folder, select SSDT-UIAC-ALL.dsl, open it with the copy of MacIASL I have attached.
  • You then need to amend this dsl file to reflect the list of ports you made from your system, mine ended up looking like this:
Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 15.54.58.png
  • Yours will be different, as you have a newer system but this should help you understand what you need to create.
  • Once you have customised the dsl, you need to save it as an ACPI Machine Language Binary (.aml) file.
Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 15.56.53.png
  • You then need to place a copy of this .aml file in your /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched folder, so it is available for your system to use when booting macOS.
  • My EFI folder looks like this with the additional SSDT's in the ACPi/Patched folder:
Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 15.59.55.png

Hope this helps.

Attachments

pixyy

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac
CPU
i5-8400
GPU
UHD630
With the kexts moved to /L/E can you have a look at your System Information - Bluetooth report and see if anything is detected? My Bluetooth report is shown in the screenshot below:

View attachment 1893

A USB dongle will work but won't usually provide the Apple Handoff or the Continuity features, choose this as a last resort.

Fixing your USB ports can be confusing but it is a fairly straightforward task, not that any of the guides show this!

Basically what you need to do is this:
  • You need to have a blank USB 2 and USB 3 pen drive to hand.
  • You need to install IORegistry Explorer (IOReg), copy of the App is attached.
  • Your config.plist needs to include the following DSDT rename patches:
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>change EHC1 to EH01</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
RUhDMQ==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
RUgwMQ==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>change EHC2 to EH02</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
RUhDMg==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
RUgwMg==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>change XHCI to XHC_</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
WEhDSQ==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
WEhDXw==
</data>
</dict>

In Clover Configurator these patched look like this:

View attachment 1895
  • Open IOReg and navigate to the USB section, EH01 being the first in the list for older CPU's XHC may be first for newer CPU's.
Mine looks like this as I have no active ports on the EH01 or EH02 controllers:

View attachment 1896

My XHC controller shows only my active ports, as I have created a customised SSDT for my system:

View attachment 1900

View attachment 1901

View attachment 1902

It also shows the built-in USB components and additional USB components I have connected to my system.
  • With IOReg open, insert the USB 2 pen drive in to the first of your case USB ports, it doesn't matter if it is a USB 3 port, as it will also work for USB 2 drives and you need to map both. Doing this should cause a new section to appear in the XHC section, as shown in this screenshot of HS02 - Cruzer Blade USB installed to port on top of my case:
View attachment 1903
  • So in my case I had to record that my Top left port was active on HS02.
  • You need to do this will all your USB ports, first for USB 2 and then with the USB 3 pen drive. To build up a list of active ports.
  • You may end up with a list something like the list in the attached PDF. This is just a sample of how to record the USB ports.
  • Once you have compiled your list of active ports you need to have to hand a copy of Rehabman's USBInjectAll_master folder, which is available via this link, select download Zip to have a copy downloaded to your system - https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-USB-Inject-All
  • Open the folder, select SSDT-UIAC-ALL.dsl, open it with the copy of MacIASL I have attached.
  • You then need to amend this dsl file to reflect the list of ports you made from your system, mine ended up looking like this:
View attachment 1906
  • Yours will be different, as you have a newer system but this should help you understand what you need to create.
  • Once you have customised the dsl, you need to save it as an ACPI Machine Language Binary (.aml) file.
View attachment 1909
  • You then need to place a copy of this .aml file in your /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched folder, so it is available for your system to use when booting macOS.
  • My EFI folder looks like this with the additional SSDT's in the ACPi/Patched folder:
View attachment 1914

Hope this helps.
Bluetooth is unfortunately still not detected:
Screenshot 2019-02-03 20.11.35.png

My USB ports seem to work fine, as in, any usb device I have plugged into the external ports have worked. I'm really puzzled if USB could be the reason BT is not working, since the Broadcom card is in the M2 slot wherefrom Wifi is working fine.
Looking at the system report/IOreg for USB it does look like amount of ports is limited to 15 and as far as I can see there is only USB3
IOreg USB XHC14.png USB system report.png

As I mentioned WiFi is working fine and the card is recognized
Wifi System Report.png

Could it be the card itself is faulty and BT is not working for that reason? I have physically checked the antenna connections and they are both connected.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
The first 15 ports maybe all that is showing in your IOReg. According to you motherboard spec you should have 20 USB ports:

1 x usb 2 header (2 ports)
1 x usb 3.1 header (4 ports)
2 x USB ports on rear (2 ports)
6 x usb 3.1 ports on rear (12 ports)

Each usb 3.1 port needs to be counted twice as it also has a usb 2 side.

You will need to have the USB port limit patch active in your config.plist, when you do the usb check/test.

Yes, the BT part of the combo card could be defective. Only way to find out is to try it in a different OS using the Apple drivers, or in a different Hack. Can you do either?

Last edited:

pixyy

macOS
Mobo
ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac
CPU
i5-8400
GPU
UHD630
The first 15 ports maybe all that is showing in your IOReg. According to you motherboard spec you should have 20 USB ports:

1 x usb 2 header (2 ports)
1 x usb 3.1 header (4 ports)
2 x USB ports on rear (2 ports)
6 x usb 3.1 ports on rear (12 ports)

Each usb 3.1 port needs to be counted twice as it also has a usb 2 side.

You will need to have the USB port limit patch active in your config.plist, when you do the usb check/test.
Yes, I can see that.
I'll have a go at the USB mapping exercise. Thanks very much for the step by step description!
One more question: How can I test/map the internal USB headers?
and if the M2 slot used for the wireless card is considered a USM slot by the OS, how an I identify that one?

Yes, the BT part of the combo card could be defective. Only way to find out is to try it in a different OS using the Apple drivers, or in a different Hack. Can you do either?
I have an old macbook pro, but I don't suppose I can replace the wireless card in there.
Specs say it uses this card https://www.amazon.co.uk/ITTECC-Air...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01N79SJK2

I suppose I have an old harddrive laying around that I could install a linux distro on so I can test the wireless card.
Any suggestions on OS / links to guides on how to go about it? (It's been 10 years since I played around with Ubuntu :-D)

Latest posts