macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
2 x Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I'm based in the UK.

Change any overclocking settings back to standard in the bios. You can play with overclocking the system once it is up and running and you have a backup of the system. Until such time you are just adding complexity and problems to an already reasonably difficult task.

Boot using the USB installer, select the macOS SSD at the boot screen and once you have logged in to macOS reinstall Clover.

You need to copy the Clover installation process from when you created the USB installer, as that obviously works for your Hack. Select UEFI booting only, if that is what you selected when creating the USB Clover install. This will install/create the EFI folder in the EFI Partition (ESP) on your SSD.

Once Clover is installed on your SSD copy the following from your USB drive and replace the items in the EFI/Clover folder on your SSD:
  1. config.plist
  2. Kexts folder (replace the whole folder)
  3. drivers64UEFI folder (same as above replace the whole folder)
  4. Themes folder (only if you added a specific theme you want to continue to use).
Hopefully that will allow you to boot from the SSD, without the need to use the USB drive. I would recommend you keep the USB drive safe, as it will allow you to boot your system, should you change something and not be able to get back in to macOS in the future via the Clover install on the SSD.

Do not rush overclocking of your system. You need to bed the system in and make sure everything is working before you start tweaking the bios to gain a bit more speed from your CPU or memory. As you are more likely to create problems if everything is not running correctly when you start overclocking.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
I thought i do no UEFI, I used ..Install Clover in the ESP, no UEFI Booting selected. I used the settings as provided. Copied Drivers64 and DriversUEFI64. I copied the kext in EFI/Kext/other Folder. Is there a kext for ATI 6000 series availlable? WiFI worked out of the Box. No Sound, need Realtek ALC889 kext. Do you think it cause a problem with 4 HDDs connected. When i tried to get a Kext from one of my 4 drives, as soon you click on a file in Finder ... Puff---Off and reboot. When i did ML install i had to remove 3 dimms and disconnect HDD's . Only Main Drive and or CD drive worked back in 2012. Should i try a older version of Clover? Read people had problems with newer versions, they had to use an older version of clover? Can i use the Kexts from 10.8.5 ? Have kexts for ALC899 and ATI 6000 Series.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
You need to use Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext for your ALC889 audio, both of these kexts were in the Kexts/other folder. You also need to include Audio Injection '1' on the Devices tab in config.plist, again this should already be set in your config.plist.

Screenshot 2018-07-06 at 19.11.12.png

There are other audio injections for the ALC889 codec so you may need to change the audio Injection from 1 to 11 or 12, for the audio on your board to work. Also remember to go to System Preferences > Sound > Output to select your audio device, you will also need to select your device on the Sound Effects tab.

You can use an older version of clover if that is what you think will solve some of the boot issues. Just install it over the current version. Depending on how far back you go you are likely to lose some of the new fixes etc. that are present in the current version. Your config.plist may also need to be edited to work with the older clover bootloader.

The kexts for ATI graphics cards have been built-in to OS X / macOS for years, but they are now named as AMD not ATI. I would not recommend it but you can try the kexts from an older version of OS X, back up any kexts you remove/delete or replace and remember to repair permissions and rebuild kernel cache before you reboot, after replacing the kexts. Otherwise you may not be able to boot back in to macOS.

Which ATI Radeon card are you using? If you tell me I can find the correct/best framebuffer and also the device id, which needs to be included in the AMD/ATI kext info.plist.

The AMD kexts are grouped in pairs - AMDRadeonX3000.kext and AMD6000Controller.kext would be such a pair and would work for a specific group of AMD cards, such as your 6000 series card. Other higher numbered pairs of kexts work for newer AMD cards. For a pair of kexts to work with a non-apple card you need to make sure the device id is present in both kexts.

I just checked and can confirm that Apple have removed some of the older AMD kexts from Mojave's System/Library/Extensions folder. So these older cards will not work in Mojave, I do not know if they are present in High Sierra 10.13.5 but will check on my other Hack shortly.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
2 x Ati 6450 1 GB each Card. Do i need to remove the Kexts i copied in the Extensions??

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Your 2 x HD6450 should work out of the box with macOS 10.13.5. The device id for these cards is 0x67791002, which is present in both AMDRadeonX3000.kext and AMD6000Contoller.kext. This card works best with the Pithecia framebuffer. A word of warning, these old AMD Cards are not supported in Mojave beta, the two kexts required are not included in the System/Library/Extension folder for Mojave beta. You may be able to add them as they are just a single generation of card down from what is naturally supported in 10.14.b1.

When you change your config.plist in Clover Configurator you need it to look like the following screenshot, for the AMD HD6450 cards to work with full acceleration.

Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 23.07.29.png

Yes, the kexts from EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other can be installed to /Library/Extensions (/L/E) or /System/Library/Extensions (/S/L/E). I personally prefer to keep my /S/L/E folder clean and place any third-party kexts in /L/E.

If you are installing the kexts to /L/E the you need to use something like KextBeast, a tool that can be downloaded from Tonymacx86 - https://www.tonymacx86.com

Once you have installed the kexts you need to repair file permissions and rebuild the kernel cache, immediately after you install the kexts, do not reboot your Hack before repairing permissions and rebuilding the kernel cache. Otherwise you will end up not being able to boot.

I use Kext Utility to repair permissions and rebuild the cache this app can be downloaded from the following site - http://cvad-mac.narod.ru/index/0-4.

You can also use Kext Utility to install kexts to /S/L/E if that is your preferred place for your third-party kexts.

Your USB 3.0 ports should work as they are run from the Intel Chipset. You may need to use the USB port limit removal kernel and kext patch, or Rehabman's GenericUSBXHCI kext, copy of the kext is attached.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Still booting only from USB. I copied the boot file from USB in EFI Folder on SSD.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Is it possible that we can set a time and you can help me via team viewer and do the installation. I installed 7 times and still the same thing that the bios changed automatically and only boot from USB. Click on a icon and machine freezes up and reboot.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Just quick info. My setup is: Hack is in Rack mount for Recording Studio, Running 3 - 100 inch flatscreens. Hack is in Isobox. Audio interface is a 32 ch. FireWire Tascam dm 4800 Console mixer. Hope you can help me getting the hack running perfectly. Otherwise maybe I buy a new CPU and MoBo.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Got it. He boot fine. How I get rid of the automatic Bios setting. It goes every reboot back to IDE, never stayed on AHCI. I have to setup every time Bios back to AHCI include Time and Date.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
From reading other posts about the same board as you own, I believe you need to apply the bios settings when you change them. If you switch to another tab/page in the bios before you apply the changes, then the settings you have just changed may not stick and may revert back to what they were previously.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Hi, got it running ok. Only thing is: No USB 3 (heard from others its not working because of the Renesans USB chip) and it takes a long time to shut down till power is off.
Any clue what can that be??? I still don,t have security updates installed. Last time i installed them, no boot, had to re- install.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Start with a Clover config.plist DSDT fix for your shutdown issues.
  1. You need to mount your EFI partition.
  2. Open your config.plist with Clover Configurator.
  3. Navigate to ACPI tab.
  4. Below the DSDT rename patches are a number of DSDT fixes, third item from the left on the top line will be 'FixShutdown' select this item, as shown in screenshot below.
    Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 17.40.25.png
  5. Save your config and shutdown your Hack.
Hopefully this will sort out the shutdown issue.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Your USB issues are not unusual or unexpected. Mac drivers for NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 ports have been non existent or rubbish since El Capitan.

I have had a read around and found the attached NEC/Renesas driver that is supposed to work with macOS, but it may not work with High Sierra. It is worth a try to see if it helps.

I believe there is an uninstaller with this DMG, so removal should be painless if it is required.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Hack is running fine. Still afraid to do Security updates. Is there a safe way to do those without any trouble???

Latest posts