Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Yes, make a Clone/backup of your current hard drive/SSD on another drive. Remove this second drive from the hack once the clone has been completed, use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to make the clone of the main drive.

Then run the AppStore update on your current drive. if it works all well and good, if it fails swap the backup drive for the messed up drive and you are saved the trouble of reinstalling everything.

Updating without a backup/clone is asking for problems.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Hello, remember me?? Hack is running fine till last night. Started up, clicked on Cubase, cubase loaded till - initialize core midi -, puff reboot. Maybe Midi drivers? Now when i restart, something is already running and hdd in disk utilities don't show up ans ball is spinning endless.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
ManoucheTunes, Yes I remember you.

Sorry to hear your Hack is not working but I don't have any idea why opening an application that worked previously would cause this issue. It is not something I have come across before.

Did you make any changes or install anything to your Hack prior to this issue?

Sierra is usually fairly stable, I have both my Mac-Servers running Sierra and even with the latest security updates they work flawlessly.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Nope, worked with Cubase the evening before, turned hack off, next morning on , opened Cubase and on initializing Core Midi Cubase freeze and when i click on Force Closing, then puff restart. I will check Midi Drivers from Console and Interfaces.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Hi, hope you doing well. Hack runs stable and fast. I need to install Mojave for newest version of Logic. Is it possible to install mojave on my hack with the GA-Z68XP MoBo???? Still have Sierra on.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Yes it is possible, but it may not run that well.

Your 2x HD 6800 graphics cards do not support Metal, which is a pre-requisite for Mojave.

Your CPU is not supported by Mojave but it can be tricked to run, using a fake ID for your CPU. You may also need to change your SMBIOS, as the one that matches your CPU may not work with Mojave.

If you are to try and install Mojave, I would suggest you do it on a separate SSD/HD so you keep your current Sierra installation safe and untouched.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
So probably it would be better to get a newer MoBo and CPU and keep old Hack as Sample Library Server????

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
That’s an option, probably a better one than trying to update your current system to Mojave.

Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD3
CPU
i5 2500K
GPU
GTX 670
Hi, I have the MoBo GA-Z68XP-UD3 and i5-2500k CPU. Can I install Sierra or High Sierra? Can you help me?

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Hello, Now another Problem. Booting till Clover, after Clover screen just black and a Stop Sign. Even Keyboard has no function to get in Bios. Turned Hack on and this happened. Worked last night fine???

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
@ManoucheTunes sorry not enough information for me to provide any assistance with your black screen issue.
  • Which version of Clover are you using?
  • Which version of macOS are you running?
If it worked fine the night before, then it could be a displaced cable or other physical issue, rather than a system/bootloader issue.

I would try the following:
  1. Check all the cable connections between your case and monitor,
  2. Check your bios has not changed without prompting.
  3. While on the black screen try switching your monitor to an unused connection, then wait a few seconds before switching back to your normal cable connection.
  4. Use your USB installation drive to boot the system see if that works.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
@AnthonyJCW not sure you are still looking to hack your system but here you go.

Your Sandy Bridge system will run Sierra & High Sierra.

It may need a fix for the Intel HD 3000 IGPU to acheive full acceleration, so you are advised to use a discrete GPU, preferably a supported AMD GPU.

Some older Kepler Nvidia graphics cards will work in the more recent versions of macOS, with the native Apple Nvidia drivers, see this link to a page showing the supported GPU's for Mojave. The list of Nvidia cards are also supported in High Sierra, be carefull using this list to purchase an AMD card as some of these may not work in High Sierra - https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/b91vf5/mojave_gpu_buyers_guide/ . High

Sierra is the last version of macOS to support the Nvidia Web drivers, which support the Maxwell and Pascal Nvidia cards.

Here is a link to the specifications for your motherboard - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z68XP-UD3-rev-10/sp#sp

The main components you need to be aware of when looking to Hack your system for macOS are these:
  1. Audio - Realtek ALC889 codec, this will work with AppleALC.kext and Lilu.kext
  2. Ethernet - Realtek RTL8111E, this will work with the RealtekRTL8111.kext
  3. SATA - your board has two SATA chipsets:
    1. Intel 6 series, this may need AHCI_Intel_Generic_SATA.kext to be correctly recognised.
    2. Marvell 88SE9172, this will need AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext to be correctly recognised.
  4. USB - your board has two USB controllers:
    1. Intel 6 series chipset, will need the USB rename patches etc in the config.plist plus USBinjectAll.kext to be correctly identified and activated during installation.
    2. Etron EJ168 chipset, this may work with a third party kext such as mXHCD.kext
  5. Firewire - VIA VT6308 chip shoudl work out of the box with macOS.
I have attached copies of the kexts you will need for your system, that is the easy part!

Along with these kexts you will need FakeSMC.kext. This is the only mandatory kext when it comes to hacking macOS. There is a new alternative VirtualSMC.kext, but as you are just starting your journey this is not recommended, not even by the developer of VirtualSMC.kext.

1. You will need another Hack or a real Mac to download the High Sierra installation application from the App Store. If you can't see the link to download High Sierra go to this site (on the Hack or real Mac) and there is a link that will still allow you to download High Sierra from the App Store, see section 4 - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208969
  2. You will need a recent version of Clover, which will be your bootloader - https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/releases.
  3. You need to install the High Sierra app to an 8GB or larger USB pen drive. It needs to be named 'Untitled' when formatted/erased by Disk Utility.
  4. Use the CreateInstallMedia terminal command to create you installation USB.
    • This is the method recommended by Apple for creating a bootable USB installer. I have attached a txt document with the necessary CreateInstallMedia Terminal command for High Sierra, simply copy the command text and paste it in to the Terminal window, you will be asked to confirm the , once you have downloaded High Sierra to the Applications folder on your Hack or real Mac.
  5. Once the Termianl command has completed successfully you then need to proceed with the Clover installation to the USB. Given the age of the system you are looking to hack, I would recommend you install Clover in Legacy mode, rather than UEFI mode that most modern motherboards would use.
  6. I have provided a copy of the latest version of Clover for you to use, plus a screenshot guide on how to install Clover in Legacy mode:
Screenshot 2019-09-20 at 19.16.21.png Opening window for Clover installer

Screenshot 2019-09-20 at 19.16.07.png Enter your password when promted and select Continue button

Screenshot 2019-09-20 at 19.16.32.png Select Continue button

Screenshot 2019-09-20 at 19.16.43.png Select Change install Location buttton

Screenshot 2019-09-20 at 19.16.58.png Select your USB drive, yours will be named Install macOS High Sierra, select continue button

Screenshot 2019-09-20 at 19.17.07.png Select the Customise button

Screenshot 2019-09-29 at 13.45.57.png Select the items shown and only the items shown on this screen.

Screenshot 2019-09-29 at 13.46.13.png Select the items shown and only the items shown on this screen.

Screenshot 2019-09-29 at 13.46.43.png Select the items shown and only the items shown on this screen.

Select the Install button

Screenshot 2019-09-20 at 19.19.10.png Enter your password to confirm the installation

Screenshot 2019-09-20 at 19.20.03.png Hopefully you will see this screen once the installation has completed, you can close the installer.

This will have installed Clover to a folder on the root of the USB. The new folder will be named 'EFI', this is where you just installed Clover.

Screenshot 2019-09-29 at 13.47.31.png This is what the root of your USB drive will look like, but obviously with the High Sierra icon not the Sierra icon shown here.

Screenshot 2019-09-29 at 13.47.57.png Open the EFI folder, it should look like this.

Screenshot 2019-09-29 at 13.48.08.png Open the CLOVER folder (main folder for Hackintosh boot loader)

The CLOVER folder you created as part of the Clover installation is not much use. It won;t boot your system as the config.plist is a POS! Some other edits also need to be made before it will be useable. These include:
  • Adding the kexts I provided to the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder
  • Changing and adding some drivers to the /CLOVER/drivers/Bios folder
  • Adding an SSDT to the /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder
  • Adding a Bootloader theme to the /CLOVER/themes folder
  • Plus the main one being replacing the config.plist with one created for your specific system, without which you don't stand any chance of booting your system.
I have attached a CLOVER folder that should work with your system, as I based it on one of my own Sandy Bridge systems.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
@ManoucheTunes sorry not enough information for me to provide any assistance with your black screen issue.
  • Which version of Clover are you using?
  • Which version of macOS are you running?
If it worked fine the night before, then it could be a displaced cable or other physical issue, rather than a system/bootloader issue.

I would try the following:
  1. Check all the cable connections between your case and monitor,
  2. Check your bios has not changed without prompting.
  3. While on the black screen try switching your monitor to an unused connection, then wait a few seconds before switching back to your normal cable connection.
  4. Use your USB installation drive to boot the system see if that works.
Keyboard is not working can not go in Bios. Have 10.12.6 on Hack. Didn't touch any cable, i believe Bios changed AHCI automatic to IDE Mode. Have to try another Keyboard.
Clover is the version still when you helped me install Clover and Sierra. It's not the latest Version.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Are you using a USB keyboard and mouse? If yes, then change the port you connect them too.

If you are using a PS2 keyboard then I have no idea, as these draw a lot of power when in use and you will only have the single PS2 keyboard/mouse port on the rear I/O plate.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Tried with another Mac keyboard, unplugged anything, connect keyboard on one USB, still not working. only keyboard and Monitor is connected. Can't get in Bios.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Also i see on startup that the cpu speed is 3.5ghz instead 3.4. Computer did it itself.
Can it be that the MoBo battery is dead and need to be replaced? How i boot with usb when keyboard is not working??

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Sorry no idea how you can boot the system if you can't even get in to the bios.

This could be caused by any number of issues, most of which will be nearly impossible to evaluate if the system doesn't boot.

Among those issues would be the following:
  1. PSU dies
  2. Motherboard dies
  3. CPU dies
  4. Cable disconnected internally, you can only hope it is this one!
CMOS battery failure not likely, more likely to be PSU issue.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Sorry no idea how you can boot the system if you can't even get in to the bios.

This could be caused by any number of issues, most of which will be nearly impossible to evaluate if the system doesn't boot.

Among those issues would be the following:
  1. PSU dies
  2. Motherboard dies
  3. CPU dies
  4. Cable disconnected internally, you can only hope it is this one!
CMOS battery failure not likely, more likely to be PSU issue.
Got finally keyboard to work. Changed the bios back to ahci. But it is not booting. Still stop sign after clover screen. Not going to the Apple screen.

Latest posts