Faultless GA-Z68XP Install

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Hi, just a update. I found out that i needed to delete the prelinkedkernel and with that action on the Terminal and the wrong rm-rf code it wiped all 4 hdd's plus the Sierra SSD empty.
I better go with High sierra as new install. Is the process the same as with Sierra, (Clover, EFI, Multibeast for High Sierra, etc.??) Can i use the EFI you have provided for Sierra?

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
2 x Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Yes the process is the same if you use the Tonymacx86 tools.

The CLOVER folder you were using with Sierra should work the same with High Sierra (HS), with the following caveats.
  1. You will need to add ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi to your /CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder. Assuming you are using the same old version of Clover you were using before.
  2. If you use a newer version of Clover, post r5000, then you need to add ApfsDriverLoader.efi to your /CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder.
The two APFS drivers are attached below.

Other than that it should work just fine.

Your IGPU will face the same issues it did with Sierra, you need to fix the IGPU for full acceleration to work once you have HS installed.

The options you applied for getting the two Radeon HD 6800 dGPU's will remain the same for HS.

High Sierra will look to change the format of the SSD from HFS+ to APFS, if that is your main macOS drive and where you plan to install High Sierra.

I beleive there is a trick to prevent this format change, but I'm not sure if the trick is necessary. I have been using the APFS format since it was released in the HS Beta and not encountered any issues using it.

You might want to look at creating a Clone of your working High Sierra drive, once you have it installed. Especially before you install any security updates for HS.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner for this task. It is simple, straightforward and not too expensive at around £30 (UK). I use a spare laptop hard drive for the clone, which I can then use to boot the system and reinstall/clone back the OS and all my apps etc. in one action. Not needing to go through the whole macOS installation wizard and issues that can arise when reinstalling the OS.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
2 x Powercolor RX 580 8GB
They shouldn’t be effected by the issues you are dealing with.

Just remember to disconnect those drives while you are installing High Sierra.

Latest posts