Faultless GA-Z68XP Install

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Hi, just a update. I found out that i needed to delete the prelinkedkernel and with that action on the Terminal and the wrong rm-rf code it wiped all 4 hdd's plus the Sierra SSD empty.
I better go with High sierra as new install. Is the process the same as with Sierra, (Clover, EFI, Multibeast for High Sierra, etc.??) Can i use the EFI you have provided for Sierra?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Yes the process is the same if you use the Tonymacx86 tools.

The CLOVER folder you were using with Sierra should work the same with High Sierra (HS), with the following caveats.
  1. You will need to add ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi to your /CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder. Assuming you are using the same old version of Clover you were using before.
  2. If you use a newer version of Clover, post r5000, then you need to add ApfsDriverLoader.efi to your /CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder.
The two APFS drivers are attached below.

Other than that it should work just fine.

Your IGPU will face the same issues it did with Sierra, you need to fix the IGPU for full acceleration to work once you have HS installed.

The options you applied for getting the two Radeon HD 6800 dGPU's will remain the same for HS.

High Sierra will look to change the format of the SSD from HFS+ to APFS, if that is your main macOS drive and where you plan to install High Sierra.

I beleive there is a trick to prevent this format change, but I'm not sure if the trick is necessary. I have been using the APFS format since it was released in the HS Beta and not encountered any issues using it.

You might want to look at creating a Clone of your working High Sierra drive, once you have it installed. Especially before you install any security updates for HS.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner for this task. It is simple, straightforward and not too expensive at around £30 (UK). I use a spare laptop hard drive for the clone, which I can then use to boot the system and reinstall/clone back the OS and all my apps etc. in one action. Not needing to go through the whole macOS installation wizard and issues that can arise when reinstalling the OS.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
They shouldn’t be effected by the issues you are dealing with.

Just remember to disconnect those drives while you are installing High Sierra.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Any Idea where i can get a clean High Sierra Install File??? I downloaded 5 and all are damaged or have Malware on.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Apple App Store!

Here is a page from Apple, containing a link in Section 4, that should enable you to download High Sierra 10.13.6 from Apple, via an App Store link - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208969

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Got High Sierra running. Now fine Tuning. one Problem: As soon i plug a HDD on HS boot up fine and runs for about 2-3 min and then puff, reboot..... I got a 14TB WD Gold HDD and i can't Format or Initialize the HD. As soon it's connected and boot up....HS reboot and Bios is set on IDE. What can be the Problem?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Bios should be set SATA AHCI mode not IDE.
  • Are you connecting the WD HDD after you have boot in to macOS High Sierra?
  • If yes, have you set the SATA port you are connecing the WD drive to as 'Hot-Pluggable'. If not you will keep getting this reboot error or other kernel panics where your system just freezes.
  • If you can't set the SATA port as Hot-Pluggable in your Bios then you need to have the WD HDD connected when you boot High Sierra.
Does your motherboard (SATA ports) support 14 TB drives? I recall a number of the older boards had trouble booting with Advanced Format drives. I assume it is a 4K format drive.

Make sure your macOS drive is priority boot disk in your Bios, so the system is booted from your EFI folder.

I would check that the 14TB HD is not named in the priority boot list in your bios, otherwise you may face other issues.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Have 256gb SSD as Os disk. The 14tb Hd shows up in the AHCI list while booting. Now i face a problem even when only the Os Drive is connected. HS runs 2 minutes, then reboot and bios set on IDE. As soon i click on a icon or try to open Disk Utility, same thing........

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
If it is present it should be found in the SATA AHCI section, where you can enable or disable the option. May not be called Hot-Plug, may be Hot-Swap or something similar.

In the Asus bios for my Sabertooth motherboard it is an option available for each individual SATA port.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
The Manual for GA-Z68XP-UD5 says that a SATA3 Drive has to be on the black SATA0 and SATA1 connected. On theSATA0 i have the Os SSD connected. Found out the 14TB Drive is broken. Arrived DOA, just purchased the drive.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Page 27 of the manual for your motherboard explains the difference between the upper pair of SATA ports and the four lower SATA ports. Basically the lower four ports run at half the speed.

Logically you want your OS drive(s) attached to the two SATA 3 ports.

The Data drive(s) can be attached to one or more of the SATA 2 ports, as speed will not be as important for the data drive(s).

Details from the manual regarding the SATA ports:

Intel Z68 Chipset:
  • 2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (SATA3_0, SATA3_1) supporting up to 2 SATA
    6Gb/s devices
  • 4 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_2~SATA2_5) supporting up to 4 SATA
    3Gb/s devices
If you need/want more SATA 3 ports, I would suggest adding a PCIe SATA card such as one of these, Syba SI-PEX40064 SATA III 4 Port PCI-e x1 Controller Card. They cost around £26 in the UK, provide four addtional SATA 3 ports, which use the Marvell 88SE9215 chipset. This card works just fine in macOS. I have successfully used a number of these cards in older Hacks I have built.

If the Marvell 88SE9215 chipset doesn't show in 'About this Mac' it is only a cosmetic issue. The card will still work. If you want to fix this cosmetic issue, just install AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext to your /Library/Extensions folder and the card will be identified correctly in About this Mac > System Reports > SATA/SATA Express.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Thanks for the info Ed. The 14tb drive is defective, I tried on a Mac pro, didn't work, disk utility say... can't write on last block.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
One thing on the hack. What I have to do to get us to shut down. When I click shut down. HS is rebooting

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I would expect that to be a USB issue. That is the common reason for a shutdown/immediate wake issue you have described.

the normal fix is to create an SSDT-UIAC.aml or USBport.kext, but your older motherboard may not use the more recent USB controllers, that any Z97 or newer board would use.

Thre are two fixes that can be tried:

Add ShutdownFix=true to your config.plist, as shown in this screenshot from Clover Configurator.

Screenshot 2020-01-28 at 22.02.08.png The ShutdownFix is the only option selected in this screenshot

This ACPI fix may already be applied in your config.plist, if so you need to look at the other possible fix explained below.

The other is a DSDT shutdown patch.

Rehabman has two ShutdownFix patches in his Laptop DSDT patching repostitory. Here is a link to the guide by Rehabman for Laptop DSDT patching, the same patches work for Desktop machines, which need their DSDT patched. This is more common with older systems such as yours - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

Here is a shortened version of what you would need to do:
  1. Extract your ACPI files with Clover, by pressing F4 when you are on the Clover boot screen. This will save the ACPI files, including your DSDT to the /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder on the EFI partition of your hard drive, if that is what you are using to boot the system. Otherwise it will be in the same folder on your USB drive.
  2. Disassemble your DSDT and SSDT's, using Terminal and the following commands:
    • cd "to the directory where you placed a copy of your SSDT/DSDT", I normally use a folder named 'Original' for where I save copies of these files.
    • After cd'ing to the Original folder, Enter the following Terminal command:
      • iasl -da -dl DSDT.aml SSDT*.aml
    • This will create disassembled copies of the DSDT and SSDT's in the 'Original' folder, these new files will have the .dsl file type in place of the .aml file type.
    • Move the DSDT.dsl and SSDT'*.dsl files to another folder, I normally use one called 'Disassembled'.
    • Now you can open the DSDT.dsl in MaciASL and patch it, The resources you need are all linked in Rehabman's guide, at the bottom of the first post.
    • If you have gone to this much trouble you probably want to do more than just apply the ShutdownFix to the DSDT.
    • The most common DSDT fixes include the following:
      • "Fix _WAK Arg0 v2"
        "HPET Fix"
        "SMBUS Fix"
        "IRQ Fix"
        "RTC Fix"
        "OS Check Fix"
        "Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel"
      • Your system sounds like it also needs these the "6-Series USB" patch.
    • Once you have applied the patches, checked that the DSDT.dsl Compiles without any errors. I ususally Close the patch window and check that the DSDT is compiling after applying each patch, that way I can see if a specific patch is causing issues and errors to occur.
    • Once you have applied all the necessary patches, the DSDT Compiles without errors, you can save it as an ACPI Machine Language Binary, i.e. DSDT.asl.
    • This patched DSDT.asl should then be copied to your /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder so it is used in place of the one normally loaded by your system.
Probably not what you want to hear but that is normally the way with any Hackintosh issues.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Hi Ed, got High Sierra re-installed works stable till WiFi. I can't connect to the Internet. It says
there is a problem with a Country Code? Other have trouble in Mojave with this, but High sierra??? Worked before in Sierra out of the Box with a TP-Link WDN4800.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The Atheros kext that your TP-Link wifi card used in High Sierra has been removed in Mojave & Catalina. You need to add these two kexts to your /Library/Extensions folder for the WiFI to work;
  1. AirPortAtheros40.kext
  2. ATH9KInjector.kext
The ATH9KInjector.kext being an injector requires Lilu.kext to be installed in the same location. So if you have Luli.kext in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder I would recommend you remove it and install it in your /Library/Extensions. Do the same for any other third-party kexts, except FakeSMC.kext, which can remain in the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.

Here is a link to a guide by Jaymoneky, confirming why all third-party kexts should be installed to /Library/Extensions - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...an-sierra-high-sierra-mojave-catalina.268964/

Attachments

Latest posts