Faultless GA-Z68XP Install

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Did as instruction says. Still country code problem. This is what the diagnostic read. Netgear26 and Netgear Guest is my network. The Hack is normally on Netgear26.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Nearly all of the Country Code (CC) fixes I have seen are for Broadcom wifi cards. The only CC Atheros fixes I ahve come across were for AR29287 controllers.

Your TP-Link WN4800 uses an AR9380 controller, so I don't think those CC fixes would work for your WiFi card. I have attached a config-Atheros-CC.plist which contains the CC and Regdomain fixes for the AR29287 cards, the fixes work on com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros40, which your AR9380 also uses. So you never know until you try.

One thing that kept coming up when I was searching for a resolution to this was that these WN4800 cards were tempermental and sometimes needed the WiFi channel on the Router changed to channel 36, for 5GHz speed to work. This was also reported to fix the CC issue by a couple of users. But never with any proof that this was the reason the CC was fixed for US users.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Thanks Ed, maybe better to get another Wifi card. A Broadcom would be best..
How i get the attached plist to work??? Guess, open the Atheros40 kext and replace plist.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
No, you would need to open your config.plist and the one attached above at the same time, use Clover Configurartor.
  1. In both config's navigate to the Kernel and Kexts To Patch section.
    • Screenshot 2020-02-03 at 19.20.02.png Kernel and Kexts to patch section for Atheros config containing the two new KextstoPatch entries for the Atheros40 kext,
  2. Right-click on a patch and selct copy from the drop down menu that appears.
    • Screenshot 2020-02-03 at 19.20.13.png Right-click on patch to copy.
  3. Go over to your working config and click in the KextsToPatch window, below the other patches that are visible, and then right-click and select paste.
  4. This will copy and paste the patch from one config to another.
  5. Do this again for the other patch,
Simple.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Purchasing a compatible Broadcom WiFi/BT card would be best in the long run.

You would want something like one of these fenvi fv-t919 PCIe cards available from Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/fenvi-Contin...?keywords=fenvi+fv-t919&qid=1580757951&sr=8-3

Do not select the cheaper cards athat Amazon offer, as they usually lack Bluetooth.

If you are going to do this right, you need to purchase a WiFi/BT card so Apple's Handoff, Continuity AirDrop and the new SideCar features all work.

These cards work in a spare PCIe x1 slot, they will work in an x4 or x8 slot if an x1 slot is not available.

They also require a spare USB Header port on the motherboard, for the bluetooth module, which will then work with a blutooth mouse and keyboard in the Bios, i.e. before the OS is booted.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB

You would want something like one of these fenvi fv-t919 PCIe cards available from Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/fenvi-Contin...?keywords=fenvi+fv-t919&qid=1580757951&sr=8-3

Do not select the cheaper cards athat Amazon offer, as they usually lack Bluetooth.

If you are going to do this right, you need to purchase a WiFi/BT card so Apple's Handoff, Continuity AirDrop and the new SideCar features all work.

These cards work in a spare PCIe x1 slot, they will work in an x4 or x8 slot if an x1 slot is not available.

They also require a spare USB Header port on the motherboard, for the bluetooth module, which will then work with a blutooth mouse and keyboard in the Bios, i.e. before the OS is booted.

Thats something to choose. Other Question. I read in Forums that sometimes the SATA kexts needed to be patched to fully accept SATA3 and HotSwap. Someone had a fix but it was for 5, 6 and 7 series Mobos. Maybe thats what my Mobo need to accept the 14TB HDD.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
No, the kexts you are talking about only apply a cosmetic fix. They get About This Mac > System Information to report the correct controller for your SATA ports that is all. They do not change the actual controller or more importantly the chipset driver. The kexts are only useful if you have an Asmedia, Marvell or other non-standard (for Apple) SATA controller. The kext contains a Plist that tells macOS which name to apply to a given SATA controller, usually on a Class Match basis.

Your Sandy Bridge motherboard is old, it may not support drives of that size. It would probably have no issues with a 4TB , may even accept a 6TB drive, but anything over that and you are in the lap of the Gods as far as the drive being recognised and activated by your motherboard's bios.

My personal opinion is that the drive is too large and not being recognised correctly by your bios.

It would also contain an awful lot of Data, which you might lose if the drive fails at any time in the future.

Given the density and number of spining platters the drive will contain, it is in my opinion more likely to fail than a smaller density drive.

Can't have been cheap either!

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
The HDD is recognized but disk utility says can't write on the last block. Now I erased the drive with 2-pass zeros. It's still doing since last evening, just about 50% done. Let's see if the drive comes back to live. The wifi card runs about 5 minutes then I have to disconnect and reconnect wifi for another 5 min internet. LOL. Better I get the card

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
I think on the mono is Marvell data chip. At least in bios I see when booting. 14tb drive is seen in bios but disk utility didn't let me doing anything. All what pass was First Aid. You start erase and after a couple seconds it says. Can't mount drive is not readable. I think it is a HDD failure. I have a windows PC with an older Asus z68 mono and the 14tb was recognized and formated.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Yes, it does sound like you have a faulty drive, If it is recognised but can't be erased, formatted or partitioned in Disk Utility.

That I am afraid is a common issue with the TP-Link WiFi card, frequent disconnects that may or may not be caused by thermal issues.

You could try moving the Wifi card to different PCIe slot away from GPU, or preferably above the top GPU so it is in a better cooling position.

A common issue with using the Atheros kext from High Sierra is that the card can sometimes lose 5GHz WiFi access.

You may need to look at changing the channel your router is set to broadcast on. The TP-link cards are not as wide ranging as other WiFi cards and do not function on as many 5GHz channels.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Got a new HDD a Seagate Ironwulf 12tb. Works fine. Mobo and Bios recognized the drive.
be the way, i realized last night that the Hack starts freezing up even if idle. HD light on case starts activity and it freeze. Have to reboot Hack then. Didn't install anything besides my DAW and some Plugins and i run every time Kext Utility after an Install.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Good to hear you now have a working 12TB data drive.

I assume this a new issue, that it wasn't happening before you installed your Digital Audio Workstation and the plugins, yes?

If it is a new issue, it is logical that your DAW software or one or more of the Plugins is not working as expected.

Can you test this by doing the following:
  • Remove/uninstall the DAW and all of the plugins.
  • See if the issue happens with them removed.
    • Assuming these issues are not happening with the software etc. uninstalled.
  • Then reinstall your DAW software,
  • See if the issue reoccurs.
    • Assuming the software isn't the cause of the issue, proceed.
  • See if you can install each Plugin separately or in groups if they are not available individually, to see if one specific plugin or group of plugin's is causing the issue.
If the Software and/or plugins are the cause of the issues there may be no fix available.

The DAW manufacturer may have released a newer/updated version of the software or the plugin's for the DAW that don't cause this issue.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Had the Hack all Night running and this morning HD Light is on and Mouse, Keyboard no function. Have to turn Power Off and restart. It freezes not right away, maybe in a couple hours or not at all. Weird. Updates are all to latest versions. (LogicX, Studio One, Cubase, Adobe Suite)

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Freezing started when i attempted to scan and recover my HDD. Can i leave on the internal HD's HFS+ or should reformat with the new File Format? Have 4 HDD in Hack plus the OS X SSD.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I run a number of hacks with APFS formatted SSD's/NVMe drives and HFS+ formatted Hard Drives together in the same hack. I have never encountered this problem on any of my hacks, including my Sandy Bridge Xeon hack, which runs 24/7 as a Mac server.
  1. Have you tried disabling Trim on your system, as suggested by one of the members ont eh other site?
  2. Have you checked that all the SATA data and power cables are fully connected and not twisted or bent beyond normal tolerances?
  3. Have you tried finding out if one or more drives are causing this issue, i.e disconnect all bar the APFS drive and then reconnect each of the drives, one at a time i.e. shudown connect drive, boot in to macOS test for a while to see if the issue occures, shutdown connect another drive and test. Repeat till all four drives are reconnected.
  4. If you find one specific drive triggers the issue disconnect the drive.
  5. Then connect all your other drives and see if the issue reoccurs.
You could have a faulty drive that is causing this to occur.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
I disabled Trim in Terminal with sudo trim force disable and followed the notes in terminal. Rebooted Hack and at this moment no trouble. The Drives are OK. 12TB Ironwulf is brand-new, the 521MB Samsung 850Pro SSD 100% live. Let's see what happens during the Day. At the moment i try to scan and recover data form the accidently delete in terminal before anything crashed on january 20. It deleted all 4 drives.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
10Pm here and Hack just froze up. Worked fine for about 8hrs. Do you think i need to do that thing with the Aggressive SATA Power management???? Did only Scan with Stellar Data Recovery and by 80% of the scan System froze.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
As soon i move USB Mouse fast or click fast between Folders Hack freezes. Happened with Spotify. Clicked thru Songs and Hack freeze.