Faultless GA-Z68XP Install

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Update: Found now out even you don't touch Hack it freezes. Went out to Dinner, let the Hack scan one of the 3TB Hd's with Stellar Data Recovery and when i came back after 2hrs, frozen.
Can be reading failure on the 3TB HD ? It did an Image, scanned the Image and it froze too.
What can cause this??

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Update: Hack froze again and this time after reboot came the Stop Sign up. Booted with -v, -x same thing. Kernel cache broken. I did nothing on the Hack, had it running all night in idle and this morning ..frozen
Decided now to get newest MoBo and CPU. i9900K or even i9980. What is your recommendation for Top MoBo and CPU for Audio and Video Production. Guess i will run Mojave on the new Hack. I looked at the new Asus Designaire Mobo. The old Mobo i will use for a Win10 pro PC as Sound library Server.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The Gigabyte Z390 Designare motherboard and i9-9900K are a good combination, that should work for years providing a solid foundation for any sound/audio work.

Not sure that your 2 x Radeon HD 6800 dGPU's support Metal graphics, or that they would work to the same level as the new motherboard and CPU.

Maybe you should look at installing an RX580 or better dGPU if you build a new system.

Due to the release of the RX 5700 series of AMD GPU's the price of the RX 500 series of cards is falling. But they may not be as readily available.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Hi Ed, just a quick update. I installed HS new on SSd, nothing else. used Clover folder from you.
After first boot, SSD started activity for 2 min. and Hack starts rebooting. I read on Tonymac and other Forums that other users have the same Problem. Random Boot and/or freezing. Some say it is the SATA kext or Aggressive Power Management from High Sierra???? I have no idea.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
You have a custom CPU power management SSDT, so it shouldn't be 'Agressive' power management that is causing the issue, as you are not relying on macOS to deal with this.

Your Sandy Bridge motherboard uses two SATA controllers:
  1. Intel 6-series chipset SATA
  2. Marvell 88SE9128 SATA
Both of these SATA controllers will work with macOS, without the need for any fixes or additional kexts.

There are a couple of third-party kexts that I use on my Haswell system, they work the same for older Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge systems, where the SATA controller is not identified correctly, i.e. they are shown as 'Generic AHCI' in the System Information SATA report. Adding either of these kexts to the system will, tell maCOS to use the correct name.
  • AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext
  • AHCI_Intel_Generic_SATA.kext
They do nothing more than tell macOS the correct name of the controller. They do not set how they run, as that is dealt with by the kexts that form part of macOS natively.

My Haswell system also has an Intel and Marvell SATA controller, with the both of these kexts installed to /Library/Extensions folder this is what my System Information SATA/SATA Express tab/report shows:

Screenshot 2020-02-18 at 15.06.58.png System Information > SATA/SATA Express report Intel and Marvell AHCI ports named correctly.

If you are wondering I have an Icy Dock twin 2.5" hot-swap dock attached to the Marvell SATA ports, it is not currently being used. Hence the Marvel ports show nothing attched. My NVMe drives are also not shown, as they are connected via PCIe not SATA.

Which if any third-party SATA kexts are you injecting from your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder or have you added to your /Library/Extensions folder?

Using the new 'Unsupported-SATA.kext' that was released for Intel Series 100, 200 and 300 systems will make no difference to yours or my system. As the kext will not find any IOPersonalities to conenct with.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
On your Sceenshot it says AHCI 1.30 supported. On mine it says 1.20 supported.
The unexplainable thing is: After Re-Install HS, booting via Clover-USB, System runs fine. As soon i boot from SSD, System boots, runs for 2 minutes, then SSD start running, then reboot.
Clover EFI on SSD is same as on USB Clover EFI.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
I added those 2 kext in Library/Extensions and they are also still on Clover/Kext/other Folder.
All the Third-Party i add in L/E

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
You don't need the kexts to be in your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder on the SSD if you have installed them to the /Library/Extensions folder. When booting macOS via Clover you want them to be in one location only, otherwise you can end up with unnecesay issues.

They can remain in the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder on the USB as that is not connected to your system when you boot, or at least it shouldn't be if you are booting from the SSD.

I would recommend that you upgrade the version of Clover you are using on both the SSD and your USB. You are currently using an older version of Clover, that was released prior to verions r4986.

Here is a link to the latest release of Clover (Clover_v2.5k_r5104) - https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/releases/download/5104/Clover_v2.5k_r5104.pkg

Install/upgrade to Clover_v2.5k_r5104 on your SSD first. Make sure it is working OK and then update the version of Clover on the USB drive. Do not update both one immediately after the other, in case your system doesn't like the new version of Clover. Test the boot process with the new version of Clover before updating the Clover verion on the USB. Then test taht you an boot from the USB to make sure you haven't borked it and selected the wrong settings durng the Clover installation/update.

I can tell you are using an older version because with the release of version r4986 the Clover development team changed the CLOVER folder structure. They removed the following folders:
  • /CLOVER/drivers64 and
  • /CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder
They replaced these two folders with the following folders:
  • /CLOVER/drivers/Bios,
  • /CLOVER/drivers/Off,
  • /CLOVER/drivers/UEFI
They also added another sub-folder to the /CLOVER/kexts folder:
  • /CLOVER/kexts/Off
This 'Off' sub-folder and the one in /CLOVER/drivers can be used to store unused kexts and efi drivers respectively. So copies of your 'essential' kexts, if you install them to the /Library/Extensions folder, can be kept in the /CLOVER/kexts/Off folder for safe keeping.

If you are running a new version of Clover these two 'Off' folders will not be searched for drivers or kexts to be injected as part of the Clover boot process. That is thw hole point in having these two 'Off' folders.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
I updated Clover on SSD. Same thing. As long i boot from USB HS runs fine. Boot from SSd, HS boots and after 2 min reboot. Can be a wrong kext cause the problem??? I didn't install anything.
SSD/HD Light never stops flickering (Activity) after HS boots. All fine with USB boot but not SSD boot.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Found out with the Clover update, Hack is booting very slow sometimes stuck at the middle of the Apple Logo.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Installing Clover and runing your boot process from the SSD should not make these issues happen, not if the Clover installation is the same as your USB installation.

So what difference is there between the USB Clover installation and your Clover installation on the SSD?

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
On ssd latest clover version, on usb old version. Other thing is, had one freeze during Cubase installation (25Gb File). It seems when SSD or HDD has full Reading or writing activity, HS freeze and HD Light stays on. I checked SSD before System Installation. 99% Health and i installed HS without a 2nd Drive. Just USB direct to SSD, then Clover (latest) and Kext Utility. Tried to Migrate Apps from Second Drive with Migrate Assistant, but HS froze up. Now i try to install my Apps, Cubase, Logic X and Studio One. Lets see what happens... If i boot from USB, HS boots fast, from SSD (Clover) slow like booting from Recovery. I put the AHCI Kext (2 kext in L/E with kext beast)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The image with the two folders shown side by side show that they are quite different from each other.

The right-hand side (EF)I folder is set for use with an older version of Clover, pre verions r4986, as it only has the drivers64 and drivers64UEFI folders being used.

The left-hand side folder (Install macOS drive) is set for a newer version of Clover, as it has the new drivers/Bios, drivers/Off and drivers/UEFI folders present, even if they are not being used.

The contents of the drivers64 and drivers64UEFI folder are not the same, they should be identical.

The /CLOVER/kexts/other folders should also be identical.

The config.plist in the right -hand folder is named correctly, the one in the left-hand folder is not named correctly, it will never be used by the Clover appliccation as it is named 'Clover-config.plist'. you need to remove the Clover- section for it to be used.

You should not have any folders containing applications, such as the HW Monitor App, present in any of the CLOVER sub-folders.

You have a lot of drivers present in the Install MacOS drives /CLOVER/driver64 and /CLOVER/driver64UEFI folders that are not required to run macOS, unless you are using Apple's File Vault.

If you are not using File Vault then you can delete these drivers:
Screenshot 2020-02-25 at 22.19.26.png

The reason your SSD doesn't boot is because it is not using the same version of Clover and it is not using the same CLOVER folder as your USB drive. The incorrect name of the config.plist being a major block to the SSD booting.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
Booting now. Folders now identical. By the Way...What is that i can't install my Adobe Premiere and Photoshop anymore. It says File is damaged???? Same thing with MS Office. Worked on HS before....

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
What version of macOS are you running now? Catalina doesn't support 32-bit software, only full 64-bit versions.

Some older Adobe software, such as CS6 and earlier, plus any old Microsoft Office software while claiming to be 64-bit still rely on old 32-bit add-ons to function, even in macOS.

Which versions of Adobe Premiere and MS Office are you looking to install?

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z68XP-UD5
CPU
i7-2600K
GPU
2x Radeon 6800 1GB
High Sierra 10.13.6 and Adobe and MS Office are latest versions. Found out what it was, it was the Privacy Settings. HS runs still fine. Only afraid to update with Security patch. Any idea how to do it safe?? Guess i need to backup HS and install Patches then re-install EFI on SSD???

Latest posts