First Hackintosh build

Mobo
Gigabyte z490 X AX
CPU
Intel i7 6700
GPU
Gtx 960m
Hello everyone, I am building hackintosh for first time and I am not very good at selecting hardwares but I am sharing my final selection for your opinions. I can spend 150$ more if you advice me different or better selections. I am lack of knowledge about cooling system so I hope you may help me to decide my final list.

HOSbuild.png

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
List of components looks ok.

RX580 is a bit old now, have you thought about replacing it with an AMD RX 5000 series discrete GPU?

Mobo
Gigabyte z490 X AX
CPU
Intel i7 6700
GPU
Gtx 960m
List of components looks ok.

RX580 is a bit old now, have you thought about replacing it with an AMD RX 5000 series discrete GPU?
Are sapphire msi or asus brands all okay to build my system? Also do you think 4gb of ram is enough for starting ? ( I am not a big gamer if this helps you before comment)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Memory:
No I don't think 4GB RAM is sufficient for starting. The minimum I would recommend you install is 8GB. The system just running the OS, Catalina or Big Sur for your proposed system, with a few apps running in the background will eat up around 4GB. You need some spare to use some apps. Especially if you plan on running any graphics applications.

To be honest I didn't think for a moment you were in to gaming, If you had you probably would have selected an Nvidia GPU and be running Windows.

My system isn't a typical Hack, its a Haswell system that is now a bit long in the tooth, but it uses around 7.5GB of Memory, with not a lot of apps in use, as shown below.

Screenshot 2021-01-20 at 17.05.58.png

Discrete GPU:
Sapphire and Asus GPU's are usually good choices. I have no experience with MSI cards, so can't comment on those. I am using a couple of PowerColor GPU's even though the GPU Buyers Guide says to steer clear of them.

The cards I would really recommend you steer clear of are the XFX cards, as the company tend to use alternate bios setups in their GPU's which commonly cause all sorts of issues when running macOS.

Here is a link to the AMD section of the GPU Buyers guide - https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/modern-gpus/amd-gpu.html

Here is a link to the Anti-Buyers guide (what not to buy!) - https://dortania.github.io/Anti-Hackintosh-Buyers-Guide/

Both are worth a read before you purchase anything, so you don't make a costly and time consuming mistake.

Mobo
Gigabyte z490 X AX
CPU
Intel i7 6700
GPU
Gtx 960m
Memory:
No I don't think 4GB RAM is sufficient for starting. The minimum I would recommend you install is 8GB. The system just running the OS, Catalina or Big Sur for your proposed system, with a few apps running in the background will eat up around 4GB. You need some spare to use some apps. Especially if you plan on running any graphics applications.

To be honest I didn't think for a moment you were in to gaming, If you had you probably would have selected an Nvidia GPU and be running Windows.

My system isn't a typical Hack, its a Haswell system that is now a bit long in the tooth, but it uses around 7.5GB of Memory, with not a lot of apps in use, as shown below.

View attachment 10818

Discrete GPU:
Sapphire and Asus GPU's are usually good choices. I have no experience with MSI cards, so can't comment on those. I am using a couple of PowerColor GPU's even though the GPU Buyers Guide says to steer clear of them.

The cards I would really recommend you steer clear of are the XFX cards, as the company tend to use alternate bios setups in their GPU's which commonly cause all sorts of issues when running macOS.

Here is a link to the AMD section of the GPU Buyers guide - https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/modern-gpus/amd-gpu.html

Here is a link to the Anti-Buyers guide (what not to buy!) - https://dortania.github.io/Anti-Hackintosh-Buyers-Guide/

Both are worth a read before you purchase anything, so you don't make a costly and time consuming mistake.
Thank you very much, I meant ram of gpu. Should I start with 4gb of RX 5500 or 8gb of RX 5500?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I did wonder if that was the case but opted for the RAM being reduced rather than you questioning which GPU to buy.

It all really depends on your graphics needs. If you plan to undertake any graphics intensive work, the more VRAM the better. Photoshop, Illustrator, FCPX etc will all work better with the larger VRAM model.

You won't see any major difference between the two cards until you try to do something that needs more graphics memory and suddenly your smooth running system is not so smooth.

Personally I would opt for the 8GB model.