First time Hackintosh and fail..

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z370M Aorus Gaming
CPU
Intel i5 8400
GPU
RX580 8Gb
Hi guys. Just like many other members, I'm a total noob when it comes to hackintoshing, but I did my research. This is what I ended up buying:

Intel i5 8400
2x8Gb DDR4 2666 HyperX Fury RAM sticks
Sapphire RX580 8Gb
240Gb SanDisk SSD + 2Tb WD HDD

I followed all of the instructions from Morgonauts video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA9AotXqkqA&t=602s

So I'm trying to boot from my USB installer of mac os Mojave and it stops with following line (screenshot included)
I did try 2 different BIOS versions for my mobo, changed settings just like Morgonaut shows in her video and nothing helped.
At this point I'm out of ideas..

Can you guys take a look at my situation with experienced eyes, please?
screenshot.jpg

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580
Post a copy of your clover folder, so we can see what you are using.

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i5 8400
GPU
RX580 8Gb
Sorry mate, I should've done that first.

Here it is.

BTW I downgraded my BIOS to F5 and my bootlog have changed slightly and ended up distorting image with crossed ring sign on top..

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i5 8400
GPU
RX580 8Gb
Post a copy of your clover folder, so we can see what you are using.
Sorry mate, I should've done that first.

Here it is.

BTW I downgraded my BIOS to F5 and my bootlog have changed slightly and ended up distorting image with crossed ring sign on top..

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580
Unless you are specifically having problems with your motherboard I would not recommend changing your Bios. If it works don't change it!

The specification for your Gigabyte Z370M Aorus Gaming motherboard can be found here - https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-7-rev-10/sp#sp

This tells us you have the following components:
  1. Realtek ALC1220 Audio codec - works with AppleALC.kext
  2. 1 x Intel GbE LAN chip (LAN1) - should work with IntelMausiEthernet.kext
  3. 1 x Rivet Networks Killer™ E2500 LAN chip (LAN2) - may work with AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
Your USB ports are very different to most Hacked motherboards, as it uses three USB Controllers:

Chipset+2 ASMedia® USB 3.1 Gen 2 Controllers:

1. 1 x USB Type-C™ port with USB 3.1 Gen 2 support, available through the internal USB header
  2. 1 x USB Type-C™ port on the back panel, with USB 3.1 Gen 2 support
  3. 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A port (red) on the back panel
Chipset+Realtek® USB 3.1 Gen 1 Hub:
  1. 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports available through the internal USB header
Chipset (Intel):
  1. 5 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports on the back panel
  2. 4 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports available through the internal USB headers
I haven't looked at the Video as I am sure it is one of the many generic methods to create an installation USB drive for macOS.

I have had a look at your CLOVER folder and made a few changes:
  • Added SSDT-XOSI.aml to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder
  • Deleted the /CLOVER/drivers64 folder
  • Added a few drivers to your /CLOVER/driver64UEFI folder
  • Updated the Lilu, AppleALC and WhateverGreen kexts in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
  • Added USBInjectAll.kext.
  • Added two Ethernet kexts, one for the intel Lan and the other for the Atheros LAN, I am not sure if the Atheros kext will work.
  • Removed the numbered OSX folders from /CLOVER/Kexts.
  • Added MacOSX theme to /CLOVER/theme folder.
I have gone through your config.plist and made the following changes:
  • Added a number of DSDT/SSDT rename patches
  • Added a couple of ACPI fixes
  • Added a couple of DSDT fixes
  • Removed a couple of unnecessary boot arguements
  • Added darkwake=10 boot argument
  • Adde Legacy=PBR
  • Added NeverHibernate=true
  • Added Fake ID IntelGFX=0x3E928086
  • Added mouse options
  • Added Language=En (English)
  • Added Screen Resolution=1920x1080
  • Added a number of common Hide Volume names
  • Added Theme=MacOSX
  • Added Inject Intel=true
  • Added ig-platform-id=0x3E920003
  • Added RadeonDeInit=true
  • Deleted the rudundant USB port limit patches for Sierra, High Sierra and an earlier version of Mojave
  • Added the four USB port limit patches for Mojave 10.14.5
  • Added Enable Trim for SSD
  • Disabled SIP, CsrActiveConfig=0x67
  • Refreshed the MLB
  • Generated new ROM based on your SMBIOS
  • Checked your SMBIOS with EveryMac and Apple Support
  • Changed Inject Kexts=Yes to Detect.
Hopefully this will work better with your system.

Use this CLOVER folder in place of your current one and let me know how you get on. Remember to change the name of the folder back to CLOVER before you copy it to the EFI folder on your USB drive.

Attachments

Last edited:
macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i5 8400
GPU
RX580 8Gb
Unless you are specifically having problems with your motherboard I would not recommend changing your Bios. If it works don't change it!

The specification for your Gigabyte Z370M Aorus Gaming motherboard can be found here - https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-7-rev-10/sp#sp

This tells us you have the following components:
  1. Realtek ALC1220 Audio codec - works with AppleALC.kext
  2. 1 x Intel GbE LAN chip (LAN1) - should work with IntelMausiEthernet.kext
  3. 1 x Rivet Networks Killer™ E2500 LAN chip (LAN2) - may work with AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
Your USB ports are very different to most Hacked motherboards, as it uses three USB Controllers:

Chipset+2 ASMedia® USB 3.1 Gen 2 Controllers:
  1. 1 x USB Type-C™ port with USB 3.1 Gen 2 support, available through the internal USB header
  2. 1 x USB Type-C™ port on the back panel, with USB 3.1 Gen 2 support
  3. 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A port (red) on the back panel
Chipset+Realtek® USB 3.1 Gen 1 Hub:
  1. 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports available through the internal USB header
Chipset (Intel):
  1. 5 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports on the back panel
  2. 4 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports available through the internal USB headers
I haven't looked at the Video as I am sure it is one of the many generic methods to create an installation USB drive for macOS.

I have had a look at your CLOVER folder and made a few changes:
  • Added SSDT-XOSI.aml to your /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder
  • Deleted the /CLOVER/drivers64 folder
  • Added a few drivers to your /CLOVER/driver64UEFI folder
  • Updated the Lilu, AppleALC and WhateverGreen kexts in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
  • Added USBInjectAll.kext.
  • Added two Ethernet kexts, one for the intel Lan and the other for the Atheros LAN, I am not sure if the Atheros kext will work.
  • Removed the numbered OSX folders from /CLOVER/Kexts.
  • Added MacOSX theme to /CLOVER/theme folder.
I have gone through your config.plist and made the following changes:
  • Added a number of DSDT/SSDT rename patches
  • Added a couple of ACPI fixes
  • Added a couple of DSDT fixes
  • Removed a couple of unnecessary boot arguements
  • Added darkwake=10 boot argument
  • Adde Legacy=PBR
  • Added NeverHibernate=true
  • Added Fake ID IntelGFX=0x3E928086
  • Added mouse options
  • Added Language=En (English)
  • Added Screen Resolution=1920x1080
  • Added a number of common Hide Volume names
  • Added Theme=MacOSX
  • Added Inject Intel=true
  • Added ig-platform-id=0x3E920003
  • Added RadeonDeInit=true
  • Deleted the rudundant USB port limit patches for Sierra, High Sierra and an earlier version of Mojave
  • Added the four USB port limit patches for Mojave 10.14.5
  • Added Enable Trim for SSD
  • Disabled SIP, CsrActiveConfig=0x67
  • Refreshed the MLB
  • Generated new ROM based on your SMBIOS
  • Checked your SMBIOS with EveryMac and Apple Support
  • Changed Inject Kexts=Yes to Detect.
Hopefully this will work better with your system.

Use this CLOVER folder in place of your current one and let me know how you get on. Remember to change the name of the folder back to CLOVER before you copy it to the EFI folder on your USB drive.
Hey Edhawk, how are you? Thank's for you quick answer, I do appreciate it!

I think you've used a different mobo page - mine is not a Gaming 7, it is a Z370M Aorus Gaming.
This is the spec page for the one I have, check it out:
https://www.gigabyte.com/br/Motherboard/Z370M-AORUS-Gaming-rev-10/sp#sp

I guess this mobo is exclusive to Brazilian market (it's made here, as far as I know)

Is it ok to use this new clover folder for my Z370M?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580
Sorry about that mixup with the Gaming 7 motherboard, Google kept throwing that board up when I was searching with the .co.uk engine.

I have checked the Clover folder and the one attache to this post should work with your system. Only change was removing the Atheros Ethernet kext as it is not required.

Also forget the USB controller section in my post above, as your Motherboard only has the Intel chipset controller. You will still need the USB port limit patches and USBInjectAll.kext while installing macOS Mojave.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i5 8400
GPU
RX580 8Gb
Sorry about that mixup with the Gaming 7 motherboard, Google kept throwing that board up when I was searching with the .co.uk engine.

I have checked the Clover folder and the one attache to this post should work with your system. Only change was removing the Atheros Ethernet kext as it is not required.

Also forget the USB controller section in my post above, as your Motherboard only has the Intel chipset controller. You will still need the USB port limit patches and USBInjectAll.kext while installing macOS Mojave.
Honestly, I was so excited that I've used a folder you sent me and it worked! Now I have Mojave up and running with all of my usb ports working perfectly! You are a true LIFE SAVIOR!

The only problem I found after checking my system data is that my iGPU isn't recognized at all - just the RX580. As a consequence my quick preview doesn't work properly (jpeg files don't load at all, and RAW files face some inconsistency as well).

Is there any way to let Mojave know that I have iGPU in there and take advantage of Intel's QuickSync?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580
Glad to hear you are up and running.

It is normal for us to have to tweak settings once the system can boot to the desktop, especially when the CLOVER folder has been provided by someone else, who doesn't have their hands on the system being hacked. I have had a few Hacks for a number of years, and I am still tweaking settings so they run smoother.

The config I provided should have activated the Intel and AMD GPU's. We probably need to adjust the information in the /CLOVER/config.plist.

Can you post a copy of your Bootlog file, which can be obtained from Clover Configurator or Hackintool applications, so I can see what if anything else needs adjusting.

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i5 8400
GPU
RX580 8Gb
Glad to hear you are up and running.

It is normal for us to have to tweak settings once the system can boot to the desktop, especially when the CLOVER folder has been provided by someone else, who doesn't have their hands on the system being hacked. I have had a few Hacks for a number of years, and I am still tweaking settings so they run smoother.

The config I provided should have activated the Intel and AMD GPU's. We probably need to adjust the information in the /CLOVER/config.plist.

Can you post a copy of your Bootlog file, which can be obtained from Clover Configurator or Hackintool applications, so I can see what if anything else needs adjusting.
Sure, here you are:

I also included 2 screenshots with system report on graphics. Hope it gives you a better picture.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580
Your bootlog looks OK, just a few minor tweaks required to your config.plist.
  • Remove two DSDT/SSDT rename patches XHC1to XHC and MEI to IMEI
  • Add alternative DSDT/SSDT Rename patch HECI to IMEI
  • Change Default Boot Volume to Mojave
  • Check that Inject Kexts=Detect not Yes.
Can you tell me what the BUPDATE icon on your Clover boot screen does, what is it for? is it a USB with a Bios update?

I would also recommend now your system is fairly stable that you move all the kexts currently in your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder to your /Library/Extensions folder.
  1. Move all the kexts from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other to your desktop.
  2. You can leave a copy of FakeSMC.kext in the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
  3. Use Kext Beast (can be downloaded from Tonymacx86) to install the kexts to /Library/Extensions (/L/E).
  4. Kext Beast will allow you to install any kexts on your desktop to /L/E, but you have to select that location during the wizard.
  5. Make sure any other kexts are in a folder not sitting on the desktop.
  6. Once Kext Beast has run and confirmed the installation complete, use Kext Utility to repair permissions and rebuild the kernel cache.
You need to run Kext Utility whenever you add or remove a kext from /Library/Extensions.

Do not use Kext Utility to install any kexts, as this app will install them to /System/Library/Extensions and that is not the location to use for third party kexts.

Once these changes and the kexts have been installed to /Library/Extensions post another copy of your Boot log, and we can see about getting your Intel GPU showing/working as expected.

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i5 8400
GPU
RX580 8Gb
Add alternative DSDT/SSDT Rename patch HECI to IMEI
What HEX values should I set to this patch?
I got it! That is what you get when you are a total noob :)

Can you tell me what the BUPDATE icon on your Clover boot screen does, what is it for? is it a USB with a Bios update?
Yes, the flash drive was plugged.

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580
Ok, when you can, post another copy of your Bootlog.

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i5 8400
GPU
RX580 8Gb
Ok, when you can, post another copy of your Bootlog.
I've just noticed one thing - my quick look have started to work properly after I've made those changes you asked me to do, but before I moved my kexts to /L/E folder. So I decided to check if my QuickSync works using MacX Converter and guess what.. it does! From my point of view it's magic :)

I made a new boot log for you to check.

My question here is, what does this kext moving procedure do and is it a necessary step for a hackintosh system?

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580
Here is a guide/tutorial that explains why third party kexts should be moved to /Library/Extensions - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...an-sierra-high-sierra-mojave-catalina.268964/

I would say it was the most logical thing to do, as it is what Apple does with its third party kexts. Hacks can run with all the third party kexts in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other but they don't do it as well as a hack with the kexts installed to /Library/Extensions (/L/E). As the kexts in /L/E form part of the kernel cache, kexts in the /kexts/Other folder do not.

jaysnuh

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte H310 A 2.0
CPU
Intel i5-9400 2.9
GPU
Intel UHD630
Thank you for this; I had the same question about installing kexts in /Library/Extensions. I seem to recall there were issues with audio kexts etc. getting overwritten with OS point updates until Clover came along, at which time kexts/Other wiped all our tears away. It sounds like installing to /Library/Extensions is clean and reliable at this time?

macOS
Mobo
CPU
Intel i5 8400
GPU
RX580 8Gb
Here is a guide/tutorial that explains why third party kexts should be moved to /Library/Extensions - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...an-sierra-high-sierra-mojave-catalina.268964/

I would say it was the most logical thing to do, as it is what Apple does with its third party kexts. Hacks can run with all the third party kexts in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other but they don't do it as well as a hack with the kexts installed to /Library/Extensions (/L/E). As the kexts in /L/E form part of the kernel cache, kexts in the /kexts/Other folder do not.
Wow, that makes total sense now! I'm actually learning something after all :)

So I did all of those procedures and made a final boot log after rebooting.

I still don't see my iGPU listed, but I don't know if I even should be bothered at this point.
On my macbook pro 2011 I see both of them listed and the system choses to use one or another automatically (probably to save battery juice when not plugged). Since my hackintosh imitates iMac with no batteries involved, it may have a different behavior when it comes to GPU chips. Can this be the case?

Attachments