peet

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390 M GAMING Micro ATX
CPU
i7-9700K
GPU
Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB NITRO+
Does anyone have a prebuilt Monterey EFI for a Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI?

Here's my build. Super basic.
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/peet/saved/#view=8zw8TW

I'm gonna wipe the whole thing and start from scratch. Currently on Mojave and I know that the latest versions of Clover and OpenCore require a very different setup than before.

@Edhawk? Happy to hire you to make me one. Thanks!

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
You would need to use the Mac-mini 7,1 SMBIOS for Monterey, as you don't have a discrete GPU in the build. The Mac-mini7,1 is the only Haswell desktop system to make the cut when Apple decided which systems would be supported.

All the iMac Haswell systems were dropped by Apple with the release of Monterey.

You also need to use OC 0.7.4 + when running Monterey.

I have a similar build to yours that currently utilises an Nvidia GTX 780 Ti, I may see if I can get Monterey running on it with just the IGPU. I am already running Big Sur with OC 0.7.1 so it shouldn't be too much of a change to get Monterey running.

Give me a couple of days and I will get back to you, hopefully with a reasonably compatible OC EFI.

peet

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i7-9700K
GPU
You are, as always, a complete mensch.

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Below is an OpenCore EFI folder based on OC 0.7.5, which I have used to install macOS Monterey on two Gigabyte (Z87 & a Z97) i5-4440 Haswell systems.

I have adapted the kexts in the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder for your H97-WIFI board, changed the Ethernet kexts basically.

I have used the Macmini7,1 SMBIOS in the config.plist, as that is the most logical Apple system to match against with our Haswell Hacks (assuming we are only using the IGPU for display). I have redacted the MLB, ROM, Serial Number and SystemUUID in the config, so you will need to generate a new set for your system. The easiest way to generate a new Macmini7,1 SMBIOS and check it is not being used by a real Mac, is to use Clover Configurator (that's what I did).

I have not included the Intel WIFI or Bluetooth kexts, but everything else should work OK with this EFI. The Intel WiFi and Bluetooth kexts can be downloaded through links from this GitHub repository - https://github.com/OpenIntelWireless/itlwm

First thing you should do regarding the Intel WiFi/BT card is to check it is compatible with Itlwm.kext etc.

Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
This is the screenshot showing the About this Mac for the Z87 system running macOS Monterey:

Screenshot 2021-11-21 at 18.04.02.png

peet

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i7-9700K
GPU
Created Monterey install USB, replaced EFI with the one you provided. Generated SMBios, serial, etc. Just booted onto it and got these errors. Config attached. Did I fuck up the SMBios generation?

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The setup I provided shouldn't be asking for any Vault settings. Do you have any other drives connected to the system you are installing Monterey on? If yes, can you remove those drives and only have the drive you plan to install macOS Monterey attached when running the installer.

What did you do with the OpenCore EFI folder I provided?

What I expected you to do is this:
  1. Update the config.plist with a compatible Macmini7,1 SMBIOS,
    1. I have done this for you in the attached EFI folder.
    2. I have also fixe an error, nothing to do with Vault issues you are seeing,
    3. The error was related to LauncherOption Boot entry being changed on the wrong LauncherOption entry.
  2. Copy the edited EFI folder to the EFI partition on a USB pen drive, which contains the macOS Monterey installation app.
  3. Boot in to OpenCore 0.7.5 from the USB's UEFI partition.
  4. Select ClearNvram.efi to remove any previous UEFI settings (from a previous bootloader)
  5. Select ResetSystem.efi to boot the system (this makes sure the Nvram entries are cleared)
  6. Reboot to OpenCore from the USB pen drive.
  7. Select to boot the macOS installer from the OC boot screen (GUI)
The config.plist you provided looks like part of a Clover config.plist. It shows the correct SMBIOS generation, but you only require a few of those entries:
  • SerialNumber
  • SMUUID
  • BoardSerialNumber (copied to MLB)
When these items are in place you can generate the new ROM based on the SMBIOS. Again this has been added to the EFI folder's config.plist below.

See if this folder works any better.

I have now updated two more systems using this EFI folder as the base for OC 0.7.5, without any issues.

Attachments

peet

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i7-9700K
GPU
What are you, a genius?

Got this to boot onto Monterey and installed. Restoring data from TM backup now.

1. Should this recognize all of our USB 2 and 3 ports?
2. I need to mount the EFI of the internal drive and copy the EFI folder you sent onto it, right? Otherwise it's only on the installer USB drive and we'd need the USB to boot each time?

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Good to hear you have it up and running Monterey.

1. It might not activate all the USB ports.

The kernel > Quirk > XhciPortLimit entry in the config.plist has been behaving strangely since Big Sur 11.3. So it may only show and activate the first 15 ports.

Do you have a USBPorts.kext/USBMap.kext or SSDT-UIAC.aml that was created for the system in an earlier version of macOS? If you do use your previous USB configuration in place of the XhciPortLimit quirk. It should work the same in Monterey as it did previously.

If it is an SSDT-UIAC.aml remember to add USBInjectAll.kext to the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and a corresponding entry in the config.plist for the kext and SSDT.

2. Yes, you need to mount the maCOS EFI partition and copy the EFI folder from the USB to the macOS drive's EFI partition, if you want it to boot from the macOS drive instead of the USB.

Latest posts