Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Depends on what resolutions your LG TV supports, as to whether there is a fix.

What model is the LG TV?

I take it the 1080p and 1080i resolutions make the text and images etc. too small.

You can change the text size and position, plus the icon size and spacing in macOS fairly easily.
  • Pressing 'cmd+j' or on a Windows keyboard press 'right-alt+j' to bring up a View Options window in macOS.
  • Screenshot 2020-04-15 at 16.28.31.png View Options window from desktop
  • The settings in this window allows you to change various aspects such as Text size and position and icon size and spacing.
  • Pressing the same keys 'cmd+j while in a Finder window displays a different View options windows, as shown below:
  • Screenshot 2020-04-15 at 16.46.23.png View Options window from Finder window.
  • Changing the settings in both of these windows may make the 1080p/i resolutions more palatable.
  • It is easy to revert to the original sizing etc. if you don't like the end result of the changes.
This will make the Desktop more palatable, but you may have to do the same in a number of windows or apps to get the same overall result. It has been a long time since I played with these settings.

Here is a link that has a number of different options for text, icon size changes etc. - https://accessibility.shell.com/macos-mojave-making-text-larger

Have a read and see if any of these options work for you.

When you provide the model number I will see if any other resolutions can be forced, which work better. As the one you are suggesting is more commonly used with a Laptop screen, not a HD TV.

aaquilato

macOS
Mobo
GIGABYTE Z270X-DESIGNARE
CPU
Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake 4-Core 4.2 GHz
GPU
Radeon RX 580 GPU

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
OK, I had a quick look at the user manual and there are limited resolutions available with this TV.

About the only option I am not clear about with regards the Picture controls is the Super Resolution setting shown in the screenshot below.

Screenshot 2020-04-15 at 17.34.38.png

It probably doesn't have the functionality to change the resolution so it uses one that is between the 1080p/i and 720p resolutions, which are the native resolutions for the TV.

You may need to purchase an application such as SwitchResX - https://www.madrau.com, which is able to set different resolutions for different Applications on a Mac/Hack. There is a 10-day trial period, so you can try the application before you buy.

aaquilato

macOS
Mobo
GIGABYTE Z270X-DESIGNARE
CPU
Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake 4-Core 4.2 GHz
GPU
Radeon RX 580 GPU
There are 2 HDMI inputs on this display.
One is supposed to be for PC use.
I had a page opened earlier which showed many resolution options for the HDMI PC connector.
Of course neither of the 2 HDMI connections are labeled PC.

I'll keep looking.
Thanks for your help.