Gigabyte Z390M Bios settings

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390M gaming
CPU
i5 9400 f
GPU
R9 280
Hi guys, i followed the setting for Z390M from this guide in gitHub https://github.com/BenjaminX/Hackintosh-Gigabyte-Z390M-GAMING

My hardware : Gigabyte Z390M Gaming, i5 9400F. R9 280 ( currently not in this build yet )

Some may not be suitable for me as i am using a i5 9400F while the guide is for 9700K, still i followed the commonly suggested settings, one of it being 'Disable - CSM Support'. After many attempts i found that whenever i disable CSM support i get no signals from the CPU, even the initial motherboard logo and bios do not appear. Any ideas what my error is ? Also what i should not be following as my processor quite different from the 9700K.

Also, i am using a a very old amd GPU on this build at the moment, just until i get to the OP (OpenCore) initial screen, as i am currently using a R9 280 (which i intend to use in this build) on another computer at the moment.

Without disabling the CSM, i am able to get the OP initial screen, but there is some error in the usb build ( as expected - 1st attempt at OP). Could this old GPU be the issue of there being no signals at a all or ? Does the CSM needs to be disabled ?

I have updated the Z390M's Bios to F9M from F7. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 10.56.02 PM.png

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Depending on the discrete Graphics card you are using your black screen may be simply down to the old card not being compatible with Big Sur.

The AMD R9 280 will work with macOS, an older HD5000 or HD6000 series card won't work with Big Sur, nor will they work with Catalina or Mojave, as the drivers for these and other older cards were removed from these versions of macOS.

Until you are using a compatible discrete graphics card, you will face the same blank/black screen issue.

The GitHub Bios settings are very complete when compared to the Bios settings usually provided for a Hack, here and on other sites. As only a few are specifically required for macOS to run.

If I had been asked I would have recommend you change the following settings, based on you setup.
  1. Virtualization : Enabled
  2. VT-d : Disabled
  3. XHCI Hand-Off : Enabled
  4. Legacy USB Support: Auto/Enabled
  5. IO SerialPort : Disabled
  6. Network Stack : Disabled
  7. XMP Profile : Auto / Profile 1/Enabled
  8. UEFI Booting set to Enabled and set Priority over Legacy
  9. Secure Boot : Disabled
  10. Fast Boot : Disabled
  11. OS Type: Other OS
  12. Wake on LAN : Disabled
Dedicated graphics card:
  1. Integrated Graphics : Disabled
  2. Graphics: PEG/PCIe Slot 1
  3. Initial Display Output : PCIe 1 Slot

oldtimer05

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390M gaming
CPU
i5 9400 f
GPU
R9 280
Depending on the discrete Graphics card you are using your black screen may be simply down to the old card not being compatible with Big Sur.
Ok noted.

The AMD R9 280 will work with macOS said:
Will replace the aged card with the R9

Until you are using a compatible discrete graphics card said:
Ok, thanks.

The GitHub Bios settings are very complete when compared to the Bios settings usually provided for a Hack said:
True, very advanced settings i guess, though i may only need a few.

If I had been asked I would have recommend you change the following settings said:
[*]Virtualization : Enabled
[*]VT-d : Disabled
[*]XHCI Hand-Off : Enabled
[*]Legacy USB Support: Auto/Enabled
[*]IO SerialPort : Disabled
[*]Network Stack : Disabled
[*]XMP Profile : Auto / Profile 1/Enabled
[*]UEFI Booting set to Enabled and set Priority over Legacy
[*]Secure Boot : Disabled
[*]Fast Boot : Disabled
[*]OS Type: Other OS
[*]Wake on LAN : Disabled
[/LIST]
Dedicated graphics card:
  1. Integrated Graphics : Disabled
  2. Graphics: PEG/PCIe Slot 1
  3. Initial Display Output : PCIe 1 Slot

Thank you for the pointers on simplified bios settings. You have given a version which is easy for noobs. Will follow this.