hackex

Mobo
Z490
CPU
i9 10850k
GPU
5600XT + 3080FE
Hi there,

I need help - two days long i am working on this issue.

i got a dual boot hackintosh:

i9 10850k
Z490 MSI Gaming Plus Board
slot1 gpu RTX3080
slot 2 gpu Asus RX5600XT
1. NVME 980Pro Windows 10
2. NVME SanDisk Extreme Pro MacOS BigSur 11.1
Open Core @0.65 all updated
SMBIOS is iMacPro1,1

I recently swapped my rx580 to an rx5600xt and the issues started. Before all were running well.

with agdpmod=pikera in my config plist i was able to initally boot up the system with the new GPU.
But still lots of blackscreens after reboot and running into gIOScreenLockState3 error.

A little fix i achieved with an additional boot-args: agdpmod=ignore
Now i still get blackscreens but with a little wait, the black screen turns into MacOS.
So there is definitely a signal there, but no visual. Tried different ports w/o luck.

I need to wait like several minutes. Before like 5, now maybe 3, but at least i get in.
When booted into MacOS, the card works well and all is recognized w/o issues so far.

But that is not a working system and I would so much appreciate if anyone has an idea, what to do, to get a smooth and stable boot. Attached my EFI Folder.

In my opinion that is not a hardware issue nor a cable bug or sth. cuz the card works when booted. Something is there in the software probably in my efi or config plist what is disturbing a proper boot.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
As you are using the iMac Pro 1,1 SMBIOS I assume you have disabled the IGPU in your Bios, as the iMac Pro only uses the discrete GPU (RX5600 XT) for graphics processing. If you have your IGPU enabled in the Bios but not set correctly, i.e. with a Headless framebuffer and matching SMBIOS, this might be causing some of the graphics issues you are facing.

OC/Dortania recommend you use the iMac 20,2 SMBIOS with your Comet Lake i9-10850K CPU. This would require the IGPU to be enabled in the BIOS and the correct IGPU DeviceProperties to be added to your config.plist.

I don't think you need to use the agdpmod=ignore boot argument, just the agdpmod=pikera boot argument, which supports your RX 5000 series dGPU.

You need to add an additional boot argument to your config.plist, for the system to work as expected when using the iMac Pro SMBIOS - shikigva=128. This boot argument in conjunction with WhateverGreen.kext enables DRM playback on your hack, using the dGPU.

The shikigva boot argument needs to be set to shikigva=80 when using the IGPU and the dGPU with an iMac 20,2 SMBIOS.

I have gone trough your /EFI/OC folder and config.plist. The OC folder and sub-folder contents are fine. The config.plist needs a bit of work to clean it up and has I believe a few incorrectly set entries.

I have cleaned up the attached config.plist and run it through the OC Sanity Checker site. These were the only issues it highlighted, after the clean up and a few changes to the plist:
  • Keyboard language = Russian, fine if you speak Russian should be blank or set to correct language if not Russian
  • SMBIOS = iMac Pro, should be iMac 20,2 for Comet Lake system
  • ROM entry not set correctly
https://opencore.slowgeek.com/?file=cometlake065jDoH5E&rs=cometlake065

You may want to give this config.plist a try to see if it helps, obviously you need to add your SMBIOS serial number, UUID, MLB and a ROM entry to the config.plist, as you had redacted these entries in the config you posted in the EFI folder.

Attachments

hackex

Mobo
Z490
CPU
i9 10850k
GPU
5600XT + 3080FE
@Edhawk
Many thanks!! Appreciate!

So i played and tried a bit. I am not speaking russian and changed it.
So far i can boot much more easily and the hack is actually w/o blackscreen there.

I changed the SMBIOS to 20,2 even the ROM to my correct Ethernet one, but now my under Mac profile looks like that:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-14 um 22.29.00.png
Serial will not show up anymore.

Any chance to get hardware acceleration to work? my igpu is off in the bios the entire time.

Last minor things:
- is there any fix that when i restart the hackintosh i am not ending up in the boot picker?
Because i need to change always the display input therefor.

- after the hack is booted there is still after a couple of minutes a noisy sound, like if you plug a mic or sth. into the hack for 2 seconds long. If i have the speakers on i always get scared :D - even if its just 2seconds long. Sound is working, so no issues there. Its just kinda annoying and comes unexpected.

After boot and before shutdown when i hit the apple icon, my mouse courser disappears for some seconds and is gone. weird things.

Thanks again for your help i think like this i am on a good way to make it work smooth again!

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The About this Mac issue is purely cosmetic. It doesn't affect the way the system works.

If it bothers you, Corpnewt has written a Python script that will allow you to edit this part of the About this Mac screen. The script is called 'CPU-Name' and can be downloaded from GitHub - https://github.com/corpnewt/CPU-Name

You can use the OC GUI instead of the picker screen, similar to what a real Mac's boot screen looks like. Simple enough as it only requires a single change in the config.plist.

Your current config has the following settings for the Misc > Boot entries, when viewed with ProperTree Plist editor:

Screenshot 2021-01-14 at 22.39.49.png

If you change the PickerMode entry from 'Builtin' to 'External' as shown in the screenshot below OC will look for the External GUI files.

Screenshot 2021-01-14 at 22.40.05.png

If you confirm which language you use, not Russian, I will post a set of files for you to use in your /OC/Resources folder, to replace the four empty folders.

I already use these files based on English language. I have provided another member on this site with a set for the Italian language. I can't attach the full folder as when all the language files are present they exceed the attachment limit for this site.

Not sure about the Audio or mouse issues. Let's get the OC GUI sorted and then if you need further help we can look at the other issues.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Copy of your config.plist attached, with the PickerMode entry changed to External.

Don't use this till you have the other files as it won't work without them.

Attachments

hackex

Mobo
Z490
CPU
i9 10850k
GPU
5600XT + 3080FE
Perfect thanks a lot!
I am so happy that the Hackintosh is booting smooth and properly again.
Even on iMacPro1,1 with HW Acceleration.

So the serial number thing; Default String shown is also cosmetic? Before under iMacPro1,1 it was all shown there. iMac20,2 never used before so i don't know, since it is new. I mean in comparison to the issues i had i am just happy and dont mind if the rest is working.

Dont bother, the other things like mentioned are just minor. Like u said first i am gonna to work on the main issues. My prefered languages are english and german.

I will work me through and let you know! Thanks!!!

hackex

Mobo
Z490
CPU
i9 10850k
GPU
5600XT + 3080FE
Hey @Edhawk

so i went through some things:

My Hackintosh is booting smooth and w/o any blackscreens. I am curious what the issue was, which option you cleaned up, which caused the problem with my new GPU? Like you said, even without agdpmod=ignore it is booting and running.
Even shiki isnt actually necessary (checked netflix) but i let it in the plist.

Updating the Rom was very easy. I just found the serial therefor under ethernet hardware. SanityChecker ist just complaining of the SMBIOS. I let it for the moment in iMacPro1,1 because of the working Hardware VideoAccleration.

The cosmetic issue with the serial number i was able to change because of UpdateSmbiosMode needs to be set to "create" and voila is running.

My mouse issue seems to be gone. The sound i didnt check yet.
Even sleep seems to work, when i go manually to sleep and move the mouse the hackintosh wakes up. I dont have the have option power nap in my energy profile - dont know why, but its working.

istat doesnt show me unfortunately the GPU Temps, but this is i guess because of my Dual GPU setup, had this even before.

So far I am pretty happy, there wasnt much to do actually.

I am looking if there are any things left to do which can cuz trouble in future?
In the sample plist i saw some things like:
Patch unter ACPI and a pci root under device property i dont have, is it necessary?
But like you said my efi and my plist were looking fine so far!?

Always happy to learn something and to finetune the things.

I can't thank you enough for your help! Appreciate a lot! :)
Have a good weekend!

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
istat doesn't have the monitor/sensors set to read any of the AMD RX 5000 series dGPU's. This is a well documented issue.

The main thing to do with any macOS Hack once the system is running fairly smoothly is to get the USB ports configured. Using the Clover USB port limit patches or OC > XhciPortLimit entry should be seen as a short term fix, while installing macOS. The real fix is to create an SSDT-UIAC.aml, USBPorts.kext or USBMap.kext for the USB ports, while keeping to the 15 port limit for each USB controller.

Here is a link to a guide by UtterDisbelief over at Tonymacx86, which takes you through the USB configuration process - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

The ACPI patches are common fixes, that carried over from Clover. Some are purely cosmetic, others are used with custom SSDT's. So without knowing which patch you are thinking of it is hard to say whether it is an essential or cosmetic fix.

The DeviceProperties entries are usually used for setting Audio, IGPU and Ethernet device properties.

You can use the alcid=x in place of the Audio Codec setting in Device Properties.

You don't need the IGPU properties if you have disabled it in the Bios and are using the iMac Pro SMBIOS.

The 2.5GB Ethernet port on some newer motherboards, require a fake Device ID to work with macOS.

I have attached a Resources folder for you to use, if you want the OC GUI instead of the Picker list. It contains the English (en) and German (de) audio files, so should work with your system.

Remember to change the PickerMode setting in the Config.plist as shown above in post #4, and the attached Resources folder in place of your current /OC/Resources folder, which probably contains four empty sub-folders.

Attachments

hackex

Mobo
Z490
CPU
i9 10850k
GPU
5600XT + 3080FE
Thanks a lot!

The Audio i fixed already with the device properties patch.
Actually i could just copy it from dortania. Same values. Works w/o alcid now.

2,5GB Lan is working no issues, and igpu is disabled.
The USB is left on my list to fix, even when I dont use a lot of USB stuff.
Thanks for the folder and the manual link!
I will try the GUI but so far the picker list works for me.

The only thing left, and i do not know if this is fixable, is the fact with my second GPU waking up under windows. I dont know if this is an windows issue, and macOS problem or something within the uefi.

When booting from MacOs to Windows, even when i shutdown in between, my second GPU always "wakes up" - which means its activated under the hardware tab in windows 10pro.
If i disable and deinstall the driver its ok, even when i restart the PC back to Windows.

But if i go to macOS and boot then back to windows the GPU is there enabled.
In MacOS the other one is well blocked within the device properties. So i dont know what occurs this issue.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The config.plist option to disable the second GPU won't work in Windows, it is only meant to work with macOS.

So Windows will keep enabling/waking the second GPU and installing drivers for the GPU, as the OS is designed to run the Discrete GPU and the Intel GPU.

hackex

Mobo
Z490
CPU
i9 10850k
GPU
5600XT + 3080FE
Intel GPU so igpu is disabled.

RTX3080 is for Windows and 5600XT for MacOS. But after MacOS boot the 5600XT is enabled in Windows as well. Looks like i still need to disable it manually every time i went to macOS. But anyway at least its running. Disabling is annyoing but manageable ;)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Ok, as long as you know what you are doing, and it ends up working as you want/need.