[GUIDE] HOW-TO: Properly Map Your USB Ports for OpenCore/Big Sur 11.4

macOS
Mobo
X99-UD4
CPU
i7-5820k
GPU
RX 580
So now I'm on Big Sur 11.2.3, with USBInjectAll.kext + XHCIPortLimit=1, on Hackintool:
  • When I plug a USB2 device, it activates a USB2 port
  • When I plug a USB3 device on a USB3 port, it activates nothing, I can access this device on the finder at USB2 speed
  • When I plug a USB3 device on a USB2 port, it activates a USB2 port
No way to have USB3 working, just like in Big Sur 11.4.
I've tried to create a USB map kext including my SS0X ports showed by Hackintool, the map seems to work (unactivated port are off), but USB3 still not working.
I've tried to remove the XHCI-unsupported.kext, no difference.

I must be missing something but what?

X99-UD4
Big Sur 11.2.3
Opencore 0.7.1
All kexts up to date

EDIT: Attached some files
I've solved my problem: I have 4 USB 3 ports that do not work on Big Sur on my computer, those ports are described like this by Gigabyte "Chipset + Renesas® uPD720210 USB 3.0 Hub". They work as USB 2, not as USB 3, whatever I do. My others 4 USB 3 ports work as they should.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I would recommend you add the SSDT-EHCx_off.aml to your /OC/ACPI folder and an entry in your Config.plist for the new SSDT.

This will disable the two EHCx USB controllers and all your USB ports will be moved to the XHC controller. I use this SSDT on all my Haswell/Broadwell hacks. It should remove the duplicate ports and unnecessary PT hubs that are appearing in Hackintool.

I have added the SSDT to the attached OC folder and config.plist, which I have also cleaned up. See if this revised OC folder works any better.

You would need to Clear and Refresh the Hackintool Window after rebooting with the new OC folder. You may also need to use the ClearNvram or ResetNvram tool on the OC picker list, so you don't end up with Nvram setting issues.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
X99-UD4
CPU
i7-5820k
GPU
RX 580
I would recommend you add the SSDT-EHCx_off.aml to your /OC/ACPI folder and an entry in your Config.plist for the new SSDT.

This will disable the two EHCx USB controllers and all your USB ports will be moved to the XHC controller. I use this SSDT on all my Haswell/Broadwell hacks. It should remove the duplicate ports and unnecessary PT hubs that are appearing in Hackintool.

I have added the SSDT to the attached OC folder and config.plist, which I have also cleaned up. See if this revised OC folder works any better.

You would need to Clear and Refresh the Hackintool Window after rebooting with the new OC folder. You may also need to use the ClearNvram or ResetNvram tool on the OC picker list, so you don't end up with Nvram setting issues.
Thanks a lot. I just tried this, but same results, those 4 USB3 ports work as USB2, and won't go green in Hackintool.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Do those ports use an Asmedia or Renesas/NEC USB controller?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The Hackintool USB tab should show those four ports under a separate USB controller. The port mapping fix is only for Intel USB controllers.

Your Renesas USB ports will either work or not, as Apple don't natively support the Renesas controller. They do support some Asmedia USB controllers, as the iMac Pro and Mac Pro 7,1 use an Asmedia USB controller.

There are some old USB3 kexts knocking around that may help you get USB3 speed from these Renesas ports. But they shouldn't be included in your USBPorts.kext when you generate one.

Copies of two of the old USB3 kexts are attached, try them and see if they help.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
X99-UD4
CPU
i7-5820k
GPU
RX 580
Hello Edhawk and thanks again. This is new information for me.
I'm out of the office for a few days but I will test this as soon as I come back.
Those 4 ports do not appear separated on hackintool. They've always been identified as "SS05" like if it was only 1 single port.
Strange thing is they did worked as USB3 speed on Mojave.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
All four ports attaching sot a single identifier would be unusual. I would understand if you said they attached to SS05 and HS05, for the USB3 and USB2 sides of the physical ports.

If they worked previously in Mojave there is no reason why they won't do the same in Catalina. With Big Sur and Monterey it would not be too surprising they don't work, as Apple are changing and dropping support for older devices in these OS's.

YaPaY

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte Z390 I Aerous Wifi
CPU
i5-9600K
GPU
Intel 630
I followed this guide but when I boot with new kexts may Trackpad scrolling does not work anymore (2 finger up-down) Magic Trackpad 2.

What could be wrong

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Specific functions of the Magic Trackpad 2 should not be affected by the Bluetooth connection to the USB header/port. The Bluetooth and Trackpad will either work or not work, if there is an issue with the USB header/port connection configured in your kext.

I would look at the System Preferences > Trackpad options to ensure the functions you are not able to use are still enabled.

It is possible you have made an error in the creation of the USBMap.kext, but then I would expect the Bluetooth to not connect, not for specific trackpad functions not to work.

YaPaY

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i5-9600K
GPU
Intel 630
Thanks for reply.
I checked again and saw default BT device was Intel instead of Broadcom.
now I did a patch and now my USB C works great but my sleep issue still same. Pc goes to sleep but after a while it is starting again. (Fans are works) in this case the pc cannot wake up.

Really annoying issue.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
You probably have an incorrectly set port or connector type for one of the ports in your USBMap.kext. That is the normal reason for the system not sleeping/shutting down.

Post a copy of your kext and we might be able to see if anything is set wrong.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Two issues with your USBPorts.kext:
  1. You are trying to activate 17 ports with this kext. The maximum per controller is 15 ports. Two of the ports in the kext will not be activated, usually the last two.
  2. All of the ports are set with the USB 3 Connector Type, this is wrong and probably the reason some of your ports are not working correctly.
Your motherboard contains the following USB ports/headers:

Chipset:
  1. 1 x USB Type-C™ port with USB 3.1 Gen 1 support, available through the internal USB header
  2. 1 x USB Type-C™ port on the back panel, with USB 3.1 Gen 2 support
  3. 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A port (red) on the back panel
  4. 6 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports (4 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB header)
  5. 2 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports available through the internal USB header
The Type-C ports would need to be set with the connector type 9 or 10, not as USB3

The seven USB3.1 ports would need to be set as USB3, so some of the ports are set correctly.

The 2 x USB 2 header ports should be set as Internal (255) otherwise they will not work correctly. Your Bluetooth is probably connected to one of the ports.

You need to revise your USBPorts.kext configuration, as you obviously have not set the ports correctly. Unfortunately this is not something I can fix.

If you know which ports are the USB-C ports, and which are the USB2 Header ports, you can simply edit the Info.plist that lies within the USBPorts.kext and change the current connector types from '3' to the correct setting, as stated above.

Remember you also need to remove two of the ports to work within the 15 port limit.

Below is a screenshot of your USBPorts/Contents/info.plist showing the 17 ports you are trying to activate:

Screenshot 2021-07-29 at 22.28.34.png USBPorts.kext contents info.plist

YaPaY

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i5-9600K
GPU
Intel 630
I thought USR1 and USR2 belongs to system and should be keep.

many thanks for your help

YaPaY

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i5-9600K
GPU
Intel 630
I thought USR1 and USR2 belongs to system and should be keep.

many thanks for your help
One question:

USB C is HS06/SS06

I am entering for SS06 10 or 9 it is clear but for HS06?
I am fixing port count value to 14000000 is it ok?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
HS06 should have the same connector type as SS06. If you include it in the USBPorts.kext.

Setting the USB configuration with 14 ports is fine, if that is all you need.

YaPaY

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i5-9600K
GPU
Intel 630
ok it is weird from my side to giving same value for HS and SS for USB C but I will do that. BTW I think 14000000 means 15 ports (counting from 0-000000)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Why wouldn't it have the same connector type. It isn't a physical USB2 port, or a physical USB3 port or a USB2 Header port. So none of those would be suitable

Logically it should have the same connector type as the main physical port, which in this case is Type-C.

To be honest there are no Type-C USB2 devices available. The only time you would use the Type-C USB2 port is when you have an external Hub connected to the Type-C port. And then only when the Hub has a Type A connector, which can accept a USB2 device.

The USB2 Type-C port is usually one that people drop from the config. So they can include a port that will actually be used.

YaPaY

macOS
Mobo
CPU
i5-9600K
GPU
Intel 630
ok I have a minor problem.
On my board there is an USB C ports HS06 / SS06

When I plug here a USB 3 device only HS06 getting aktive with speed USB.20

current config: