macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte H310 A 2.0
CPU
Intel i5-9400 2.9
GPU
Intel UHD630
Hi Edhawk!

The above crash occurs when trying to boot from a USB installer drive that has a copy of the working EFI folder from my daughter's machine:

MINUS: the alien DSDT file that allows me to boot
PLUS: all of the files you patched and posted here (#18 and #19). The config.plist file is as you modified it, except that I modified the serial number information to match what my daughter is currently using. The only changes were serial #, board serial #, and UUID (SMBIOS remains the same).

Restoring the alien DSDT * and removing all of the other pieces (including restoring my original config.plist file) allows me to boot once again. Removing the alien DSDT (no other changes) causes the machine to hang at boot.

That has been my experience with modern Gigabye boards as well - no DSDT required. There is nothing unusual about my configuration - it still crashes when the system is "bare bones" (processor, RAM, SSD, USB boot drive) in the same way it does when I have other hard drives, DVD drive, etc. attached). It crashed in this way when I was only using the iGPU (630) and it crashes in this way when using my dGPU (MSI 580).

*"alien" DSDT continues to refer to the DSDT I downloaded from this forum for a different manufacturer's H310M board.

I continue to wish that I had a proper installation, but as you stated, it works with the alien DSDT, and figuring out what is different between the two DSDTs that allows the alien DSDT to boot the machine (vs. the native or native+patched DSDTs) appears to be beyond my limited skill set. I wonder if it's the board (still immature), the BIOS (still immature), the processor (one of the newest available) - but why, WHY, does this strange DSDT overcome all of these problems and allow my machine to boot? *softly bangs head against desk*

Thank you, Edhawk, for your help!

Jason

Edit:
The screenshot in post #1 depicts the verbose crash screen when using our current EFI folder MINUS the alien DSDT. Replacing the alien DSDT allows us to boot smoothly, with all major operations intact.

2nd Edit:

I should also add that I tried creating a brand new installer USB drive, using the latest version of Clover and all of the latest kext releases, etc. I followed the Reddit "Vanilla" Hackintosh guide very carefully. The only deviations were to replace SMBIOS contents with our current, working numbers, and to use the USBPorts.kext that I had created using Hackintool previously instead of USBInjectAll. This crashed on boot in the same fashion as all other attempts. Previously, I had also created a USB installer using UniBeast/Multibeast "just to see" and that boot media failed to boot the machine in exactly the same way.

The only variable that seems to make a difference at this time is the presence / absence of the alien DSDT.

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
That is so frustrating.

You also need to change the MLB to match the Board Serial Number.

I will have a play and see if I can find an app that will compare the two DSDT's. If I find anything useful I will report back.

jaysnuh

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte H310 A 2.0
CPU
Intel i5-9400 2.9
GPU
Intel UHD630
I really appreciate your time and thought. Thank you.

I've read conflicting information about whether to fill in the MLB field or leave it blank (I personally haven't noticed a difference either way), but I'll do that the next time I have an opportunity to reboot her machine.

On my own machine, when I first started trying to figure out what the difference between the DSDT file might be, I used DiffMerge to compare the two files. My hope was that they would be similar with a few obvious edits that I could carry over to the native DSDT. Unfortunately, they were dramatically different, to the point that my layperson self couldn't even begin to really understand what was going on. That program, though, does a really nice job of aligning the similar portions and helping you to see the differences between the two files.

Best of luck! I'll post back also if anything changes on our end.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I have just used DiffMerge to have a look at the two disassembled DSDT's and to say they are different would be an understatement. I still don't understand how the alien DSDT works with your system, there are approx 16,000 extra lines of code in the alien DSDT compared to your original DSDT. I have to assume some of these are useful and that is what makes the difference between one booting and the other not. But to be honest I still don’t understand why the original DSDT won’t boot.

dcl

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte H310M A 2.0
CPU
I5-9400
GPU
AMD RX570
This post helped a LOT. Thanks for posting the DSDTs! This fixed my H310A M 2.0 so it's now working great with 19,1 iMac and my old SSD.

jaysnuh

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte H310 A 2.0
CPU
Intel i5-9400 2.9
GPU
Intel UHD630
This post helped a LOT. Thanks for posting the DSDTs! This fixed my H310A M 2.0 so it's now working great with 19,1 iMac and my old SSD.
Hi all - I just wanted to report back that my H310A M 2.0 machine continues to work well with the mysterious DSDT file that is now making the rounds for this configuration. There does appear to be something weird about this motherboard, doesn't there? There have now been at least 2 more BIOS revisions since I declared the build "complete" and I've been tempted to upgrade and see if the newer BIOS fixes the issues... but I'm fearful of rocking the boat at this point, as for whatever bizarre and "magical" reason (lol) the computer continues to work well. If I do get brave and decide to try a BIOS update at some point I'll post here to share the results.

J.

dcl

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte H310M A 2.0
CPU
I5-9400
GPU
AMD RX570
Hi all - I just wanted to report back that my H310A M 2.0 machine continues to work well with the mysterious DSDT file that is now making the rounds for this configuration. There does appear to be something weird about this motherboard, doesn't there? There have now been at least 2 more BIOS revisions since I declared the build "complete" and I've been tempted to upgrade and see if the newer BIOS fixes the issues... but I'm fearful of rocking the boat at this point, as for whatever bizarre and "magical" reason (lol) the computer continues to work well. If I do get brave and decide to try a BIOS update at some point I'll post here to share the results.

J.
I'm pretty sure I was running 4A (the latest beta, from late 2019) without issue or incident in MacOS. There's not much to the BIOS - it's quite basic - so there's not much to go wrong.

I've made this a full time Plex server, so I'm not using it for MacOS at the moment, but it worked flawlessly when it was running MacOS.