Hackintosh booting slow

macOS
Mobo
Gigabyte - Z370 HD3P (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151
CPU
3.6GHz 6-Core 8th Gen Intel Core i5-8600K
GPU
None as yet
Hi! I’ve had my hackintosh since April and it’s been running great. But recently it has been taking a long time to boot up and into the clover boot menu. I’ve had to restart my computer 3x to get it to boot into clover menu. I’m not really sure what could have happened My BIOS is all correctly set and have not made any changes to it. I’m just wondering what the cause could be?

I was thinking about doing a fresh install but the truth of the matter is I’m kind of scared of doing it because I’m struggling with short term memory loss due to medication and I can’t remember how we installed it in the first place haha! Plus I was planning on doing a fresh install for Catalina.

Anyone got any ideas what I can check to see what’s causing the problems? Or a simple walkthrough on how to do a fresh install?

I can upload my EFI folder upon request and anything else on request I’m just not at my computer at this moment in time.

Thanks for the help in advance! And sorry if this doesn’t make sense!

Sal

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
I would recommend the following:
  1. Download and save a copy of your current bios to a USB drive (MSDOS/Fat32 formatted)
  2. Enter your bios with the usb plugged in, navigate to the Advanced menu.
  3. Navigate to the Bios update section, when prompted for the new bios file select your USB and the bios file it contains.
  4. Reflash the bios, this will clear all the old settings. If it is the same as your current bios it will not make any changes to the bios itself.
  5. When prompted to reboot, do so and remove the USB.
  6. Re-enter your bios, select F7 to select Bios Default settings.
  7. Then set your bios to match the settings below:
    1. Virtualization : Enabled
    2. VT-d : Disabled
    3. XHCI Hand-Off : Enabled
    4. Legacy USB Support: Auto/Enabled
    5. IO SerialPort : Disabled
    6. Network Stack : Disabled
    7. XMP Profile : Auto / Profile 1/Enabled
    8. UEFI Booting set to Enabled and set Priority over Legacy
    9. Secure Boot : Disabled
    10. Fast Boot : Disabled
    11. OS Type: Other OS
    12. Wake on LAN : Disabled
For your Dedicated Graphics + Integrated graphics card use these settings:
  1. Integrated Graphics : Enabled
  2. Graphics: PEG/PCIe Slot 1
  3. Initial Display Output : PCIe 1 Slot
  4. DVMT Pre-Allocated : 128M or higher
Do not forget to select your macOS drive, which contains the CLOVER boot loader as the first boot drive.

This should clear any hangovers from previous bios settings and speed up your time from power on to reaching the Clover Boot Screen

Delays between the Clover boot and macOS login screen will probably be related to the CLOVER folder settings/contents.

macOS
Mobo
CPU
GPU
None as yet
I would recommend the following:
  1. Download and save a copy of your current bios to a USB drive (MSDOS/Fat32 formatted)
  2. Enter your bios with the usb plugged in, navigate to the Advanced menu.
  3. Navigate to the Bios update section, when prompted for the new bios file select your USB and the bios file it contains.
  4. Reflash the bios, this will clear all the old settings. If it is the same as your current bios it will not make any changes to the bios itself.
  5. When prompted to reboot, do so and remove the USB.
  6. Re-enter your bios, select F7 to select Bios Default settings.
  7. Then set your bios to match the settings below:
    1. Virtualization : Enabled
    2. VT-d : Disabled
    3. XHCI Hand-Off : Enabled
    4. Legacy USB Support: Auto/Enabled
    5. IO SerialPort : Disabled
    6. Network Stack : Disabled
    7. XMP Profile : Auto / Profile 1/Enabled
    8. UEFI Booting set to Enabled and set Priority over Legacy
    9. Secure Boot : Disabled
    10. Fast Boot : Disabled
    11. OS Type: Other OS
    12. Wake on LAN : Disabled
For your Dedicated Graphics + Integrated graphics card use these settings:
  1. Integrated Graphics : Enabled
  2. Graphics: PEG/PCIe Slot 1
  3. Initial Display Output : PCIe 1 Slot
  4. DVMT Pre-Allocated : 128M or higher
Do not forget to select your macOS drive, which contains the CLOVER boot loader as the first boot drive.

This should clear any hangovers from previous bios settings and speed up your time from power on to reaching the Clover Boot Screen

Delays between the Clover boot and macOS login screen will probably be related to the CLOVER folder settings/contents.
Hi this will be a great help thank you. However can you clarify step 1. Is it my current bios settings or get an update from the Gigabyte website for the BIOS?

Thank you so much for such in depth steps I greatly appreciate it :)

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Download bios from Gigabyte website. Make sure to download the exact same version as your machine is currently running. Don't update the bios!

All you need to do is refresh the bios. This will clear all the extraneous boot options from the bios and the Boot Option link (F12 or something similar).

macOS
Mobo
CPU
GPU
None as yet
Download bios from Gigabyte website. Make sure to download the exact same version as your machine is currently running. Don't update the bios!

All you need to do is refresh the bios. This will clear all the extraneous boot options from the bios and the Boot Option link (F12 or something similar).
Umm I tried what you said and I couldn’t find Virtualization and I seem to have lost my hackintosh boot :( I just go straight into my windows partition :( what do?
It used to say clover UFEI but now it says windows boot manager but when I go to windows it picks up just my windows m2 :(

Edit: completely lost both hackintosh and windows but it’s a blessing in disguise really :) will follow the guides on here to re do it. Thanks for the help though I appericate it :)

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Enter you bios and make sure your the UEFI partition for your macOS drive is selected as the priority/first drive in the boot order list. Otherwise it won't boot Clover.