Hackintosh Builds and EFI Before and After?

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z390-Prime
CPU
i5-9600K
GPU
Radeon NITRO+ RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 Dual HDMI / Dual DP OC
I'm doing my first Hackintosh using this guide, Asus-prime-Z390-Hackintosh-w/-RX-5700-XT. I'm having some trouble understanding what happens before and after one gets to the setup your Mac and Apple ID screen. I chose to stay low with Mojave because I hope to migrate from my 12 YO Mac Pro (2008) running El Capitan.

I've purchased and stuck closely to the recommended parts in the guide, including the Sapphire RX 5700, GPU. I added the Fenvi T919 for BT and WiFi. On my first run, I left out the Sapphire and Fenvi cards and used only the IGPU. I got to the setup your Mac and Apple ID screen. Then, I abandoned at that point and shutdown and installed the RX 5700 and Fenvi card, and added what I thought were the needed tweaks to the config.plist to support it.

Being so new to this (my first time ever working with EFI files) I'm sure I messed up the .plist file because I never made it back to that sweet point a second time (will address that in another post). But before I move on and try to cure, I don't quite understand what happens after the setup. Hackintosher refers to three steps "Post Install" and I'm unclear on this and the whole EFI thing and am hoping for some basic guidance:

Please help validate my perceptions, on a high-level is this what happens?

1. On a USB drive with "Install macOS Mojave," you create a custom EFI file and partition with Cloverleaf or other EFI tool that sets up the macOS to work with non-Apple hardware.
  2. With the right settings, you make it through Pre-installation (first white Apple and progress line on black screen).
  3. Then you make it through Installation (a second white Apple and progress line on black screen).
  4. You then arrive at Setup your Mac and Apple ID.

(These next two points are where I'm unclear)

5. The EFI file you created and customized on the USB is copied and baked into a new EFI partition on the target storage device alongside the O/S and recovery partitions.
  6. Post-Install tweaks (and scripts?) are applied to the Config-Plist file on the EFI partition on the target storage device.
I'm confused because on my first attempt when I just did a barebone hardware and got to Setup your Mac and Apple Id, when I abandoned and rebooted without the USB stick in all I got was the ASUS bios setup screen. Didn't a bootable EFI partition get created? If not when does that get created? Will I have to live with the USB stick in a port to boot to macOS?

Where and what are the Post-Install actions supposed to be applied on/to?

kkkennn

macOS
Mobo
Intel Q370 Chipset
CPU
Core i5 8500T
GPU
Intel UHD 630
The USB stick is to help you boot into the OSX installer and to format and install OSX onto your HDD.

When you have successfully installed via the USB you can copy the EFI contents of the USB into your own HDD where OSX is installed which allows you to boot from your disk drive rather than the USB

To access the EFI folder you can use MountEFI to mount the partition of your hdd and copy the EFI folder across (from your USB EFI to your hdd EFI partition)

There will be some trial and error to get your config.plist file best suited to your hardware and set up so make backup copies as you go of the entire EFI folder

Hope this helps you in some way

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z390-Prime
CPU
i5-9600K
GPU
The USB stick is to help you boot into the OSX installer and to format and install OSX onto your HDD.

When you have successfully installed via the USB you can copy the EFI contents of the USB into your own HDD where OSX is installed which allows you to boot from your disk drive rather than the USB

To access the EFI folder you can use MountEFI to mount the partition of your hdd and copy the EFI folder across (from your USB EFI to your hdd EFI partition)

There will be some trial and error to get your config.plist file best suited to your hardware and set up so make backup copies as you go of the entire EFI folder

Hope this helps you in some way
@kkkennn This was very helpful thank you. About the post-install steps that @Hackintosher recommends. Are these run against the EFI folder on the USB before copying it over to the EFI partition on my target drive (in this case an M2 NVME 2TB)?

Last edited:
macOS
Mobo
GigaByte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i7 10700
GPU
Sapphire RX580
I'm confused because on my first attempt when I just did a barebone hardware and got to Setup your Mac and Apple Id, when I abandoned and rebooted without the USB stick in all I got was the ASUS bios setup screen. Didn't a bootable EFI partition get created? If not when does that get created? Will I have to live with the USB stick in a port to boot to macOS?

Where and what are the Post-Install actions supposed to be applied on/to?
An EFI partition is created when you format any drive. That dose not make it bootable, you have to copy your EFI folder to that drives EFI partition to be able to boot from that drive. Please see Edhawks post below... I had forgotten Clover needs to be installed not copied.

If you have already installed Mojave on your hard drive but did not complete the setup process (you said you stoped at Apple ID), use your installer thumb drive to boot from again. However... this time when the boot manager comes up select the Mojave you already installed on the hard drive instead of "Install macOS Mojave" (thumb drive). Important to understand that at this point your only using the thumb drive to boot from.

Finish the setup process, when you get to the desktop Follow Edhawks post below.

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
What Railgun manages to say in a few paragraphs I have expanded upon.

What you seem to be missing is you need to install Clover to the macOS drive, in your case the 2TB M2 NVME drive, you need to use the same settings as you did when creating the USB, just change the installation location to your macOS drive instead of the USB drive.

I install Clover rather than just copying the EFI folder when setting up a system. You should follow these steps when installing Clover to your macOS drive:

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.12.31.png Open your Clover installation app, this on happens to be Clover_r5108

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.12.52.png Select Continue

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.13.12.png Enter your password if requested

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.13.22.png select Continue

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.13.32.png select Continue

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.13.46.png select Change Installation Location button

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.23.27.png Ensure you select the icon for your macOS drive, not the USB drive, select continue

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.13.46.png Select Customise button

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.14.04.png Select the two options highlighted in the red rectangle

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.15.37.png these other options don't matter as you already have a working CLOVER folder, which you are going to use from your USB installation drive. Select Install button.

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.15.50.png Enter your password when requested

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.16.05.png If this box appears, select Install Anyway button

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.16.28.png Clover will install to the EFI partition on your macOS drive. Close the installer when completed.

Clover will have mounted the EFI Partition on your Desktop, assuming you have set your system to do so. If it is not visible do the following:

Click on an empty area on your desktop.

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.40.36.png Select Finder from the Desktop Menu bar and then Preferences

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 00.20.40.png A box similar to this will appear.

Make sure that the box beside Hard Disk is selected and the macOS drive and any other drives will appear on your desktop, but you probably know all this anyway.

Now you need to mount the EFI Partition on your USB drive. This is so you can get hold of a copy of your working CLOVER folder.

Download and open Hackintool application, it is available from Tonymacx86 site - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/release-hackintool-v3-x-x.254559/

You may have to become a member of the TMx86 site to download this app. The latest version is v3.4.9.

Navigate to the 'Disks' tab, icon highlighted in cyan along the top of the screenshot below

Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 00.02.14.png

Select the up/down (mount/unmount) arrow icon for your USB drive, it will be in the area highlighted by the red rectangle.

Selecting this will bring up a permissions window asking you if you want to mount the EFI Partition selected, and will require you to enter your password.

You can now close Hackintool app.

On your Desktop you will now have two EFI partitions visible, one from the USB and the other from your macOS drive.

Screenshot 2020-04-06 at 12.36.03.png USB installer and accompanying EFI partition

Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 00.10.17.png Two EFI Partition icons on the Desktop, top from the macOS drive mounted by the Clover installation and bottom mounted by yourself using Hackintool from the USB drive.

Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 00.15.32.png If you open the USB or macOs EFI Partition you will see a single EFI folder

Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.11.36.png If you open the EFI folder you will see these two folders and a text file.

If you have both open you can drag and drop the working CLOVER folder to the EFI folder on your macOS drives EFI Partition.

When you reboot you will no longer need your USB drive. However you will need to change your Bios settings so your macOS drive is set as the default boot drive, so the system can find your Clover installation and boot the system for macOS.

IF you choose to dual boot your system, with Windows installed to another drive, then you would be able to use the Clover boot screen to select which OS to boot.

You need to install Windows to a GUID (GPT) formatted drive for it to work with Clover.

Probably a long winded way of saying the same as Railgun.

Hope it helps.

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Thanks Railgun, that was 'Like' number 500 for me on this site.

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z390-Prime
CPU
i5-9600K
GPU
What Railgun manages to say in a few paragraphs I have expanded upon.

<TRIM>
Again thank you. With the AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT installed and booting to BIOS I tried to continue to get back to Setup/Apple ID. Never got there.

First I got stuck at:

apfs_module_start:1393: load: com.apple.filesystems.apfs

And found this fix:

Acpi Patch, replace A00A9353 54415301 with A00A910A FF0BFFFF

Moving me ahead.

Now I am hanging at:

IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0.

I guess at this point it'd be a good idea to attach my USB's EFI folder.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
There are no drivers for the RX 5700 XT in Mojave. The first release of macOS to support the Navi series of cards, which includes the RX 5700 XT, is Catalina 10.15.2.

The RX 5700 XT requires the agdpmod=pikera boot argument, which you have in your config.plist, but it won't work with Mojave due to the lack of driver support.

Can you confirm which CPU you have installed. There is no i5-9900 Coffee Lake listed on Intels Ark site. So do you have an i5-9600, an i5-9600K, an i9-9900 or an i9-9900K? The IGPU device ID for the i9's is the same but the i5 CPU's have different device ID's.

I have edited your CLOVER folder to better match with your Coffee Lake system. Added a number of SSDT's, changed/replaced some UEFI drivers and kexts and edited your config.plist.

Hopefully this will get you booting the installer, either Mojave or Catalina, whichever you use.

I have assumed you have removed the RX 5700 XT dGPU for now, and are just using the Intel GPU for the installation.

Your ASUS Prime Z390-A SSDT-UIAC-All.aml seen in the /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder is attempting to activate too many USB ports. It contains Ports HS01, HS02, HS03, HS04, HS07 HS08, HS09, HS10, HS13, HS14, SS01, SS02, SS03, SS04, SS07, SS08, SS09 and SS10.

This list consists of 10 USB2 ports and 8 USB3 ports, that is 3 ports too many, so macOS will simply drop the last three ports SS08-SS10 inclusive. This SSDT needs to be amended so it only contains 15 ports. So I would recommend you not use it while installing macOS Mojave or Catalina.

I have checked and enabled the USB port limit patches for both Mojave and Catalina, so your USB ports should be functional during the installation process.

Attachments

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z390-Prime
CPU
i5-9600K
GPU
@Edhawk thank you again for this exceptional help.

Video Card
Only now I recall @Hackintosher 's warning that this RX 5700 works only with Catalina. I purchased the card so as to hew as closely to the guide as possible and for its extra firepower. I would prefer then to recreate the USB installer with Catalina.

CPU
I can confirm the CPU is an i5-9600K LGA1151 300 Series 95W.

USB Ports
I've not made it this far other than to read up on @fabianxfighter's thread on setting the USB map to respect the OS port limit and to support HS06 because I plan to use the Fenvi T919 for BT. In an earlier build I tried to copy his custom USB .kext but now will wait for that as a final step.

My ultimate goal is to migrate my El Capitan system running on a Mac Pro 2008 to this new box/build. I only deviated by adding:

• 32GB more RAM (total 64GB)
  • Corsair RM1000x (1000W) PS
  • SS Evo 970 NVME 2TB M2
  • ss Evo 870 SSD
  • Fenvi T919
So I will go back now a rebuild the USB with Catalina.

For now, I will just go with the IGPU and defer installation of the RX 5700 XT until I get Catalina up and running. Same with the Fenvi BT/WiFi.

Last edited:
macOS
Mobo
Asus Z390-Prime
CPU
i5-9600K
GPU
Ran with Mojave, iGPU only, no other cards. Made it to:
@Edhawk thank you again for this exceptional help.

Video Card
Only now I recall @Hackintosher 's warning that this RX 5700 works only with Catalina. I purchased the card so as to hew as closely to the guide as possible and for its extra firepower. I would prefer then to recreate the USB installer with Catalina.

CPU
I can confirm the CPU is an i5-9600K LGA1151 300 Series 95W.

USB Ports
I've not made it this far other than to read up on @fabianxfighter's thread on setting the USB map to respect the OS port limit and to support HS06 because I plan to use the Fenvi T919 for BT. In an earlier build I tried to copy his custom USB .kext but now will wait for that as a final step.

My ultimate goal is to migrate my El Capitan system running on a Mac Pro 2008 to this new box/build. I only deviated by adding:

• 32GB more RAM (total 64GB)
  • Corsair RM1000x (1000W) PS
  • SS Evo 970 NVME 2TB M2
  • ss Evo 870 SSD
  • Fenvi T919
So I will go back now a rebuild the USB with Catalina.

For now, I will just go with the IGPU and defer installation of the RX 5700 XT until I get Catalina up and running. Same with the Fenvi BT/WiFi.
OK, I copied over your Clover folder and

• I removed, agdpmod=pikera and,
  • ASUS Prime Z390-A SSDT-UIAC-All.aml from the /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.
  • I also changed my bios GPU from PCIe to iGPU.
Now, I'm still getting:

IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0

But I see a bunch of Control ID # coreAudioChannel ID lines 2,8,7,5,12,10, after 10, it starts to write a new line, and then the screen goes black and video input is lost.

I've fixed my Profile Specs to reflect the correct CPU. Sorry for that chase.

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z390-Prime
CPU
i5-9600K
GPU
Ran with Mojave, iGPU only, no other cards. Made it to:

OK, I copied over your Clover folder and

• I removed, agdpmod=pikera and,
  • ASUS Prime Z390-A SSDT-UIAC-All.aml from the /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.
  • I also changed my bios GPU from PCIe to iGPU.
Now, I'm still getting:

IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0

But I see a bunch of Control ID # coreAudioChannel ID lines 2,8,7,5,12,10, after 10, it starts to write a new line, and then the screen goes black and video input is lost.

I've fixed my Profile Specs to reflect the correct CPU. Sorry for that chase.
I went in and deleted all the partitions created by these orphan attempts. Now things are progressing again. I'll check in later.

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z390-Prime
CPU
i5-9600K
GPU
Using just the IGPU I can install Mojave.

But my end goal is Catalina for the fancy RX 5700 video card and the Fenvi BT.

Using same, just IGPU, no other cards with your Clover file I get

** In Memory Panic Stackshot Succeeded **

Using slow-mo on my i-phone I took a poor video.

Best I can tell are a bunch of lines that say ACPI before the kernel hex jibberish.

(Where [ ] is an unreadable or substitute, and elipse means more text follows)

ACPI Exception: [?] NE_ALREADY EXISTS. During...ACA...
ACPI Error: Method [?] parm/execution failed [\]...
ACPI Warning [?]...
ACPI Executed 52 blocks of module ...

After hex jibberish:

Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform(6.1) [long string]
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.4) [long string]
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(2.9) [long string]
dependency: come.apple.driverSMC(3.1) [long string]

I reverted back to @Hackintosher's original Catalina EFI build and get the circle with the slash and a pixelated text verbose screen.

My hat off to you folks who do this all the time. To the other newbies, I'm learning bit by bit. I found this Clover Configurator explainer somewhat helpful.

Still unable to install Catalina.

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
If you can install Mojave with the IGPU, you should be able to upgrade the OS to Catalina, using the built-in Apple App Store process.

When you download Catalina via the App Store it will download and look to install the latest version, 10.15.7 including the supplemental updates. So making a Catalina USB installer may not be necessary.

Post a copy of the CLOVER folder that allowed you to install Mojave with the USB. That to me seems like the best place to go from right now. I can have a look at the folder, suggest any changes required specifically for Catalina.

You get Catalina installed then you can install the RX 5700 XT, as the AMD drivers are present in the later versions of Catalina.

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z390-Prime
CPU
i5-9600K
GPU
@Edhawk after copying over the working Clover folder to SSD EFI folder, I get on reboot, End Random Seed, and a stop. I read the article on RAM mapping.

After pulling out two of my 16GB Ram chips I still get it. No matter the RAM chip placement or combo. So I started from scratch and got back to a working Mojave without the EFI on the SSD. Went to System Profiler and found that it sees the 32 GB of ram id'ing them perfectly in the first two slots and says two slots free. So I don't think it is a memory mapping issue.

Before I lose this setup (b/c I'm afraid to reboot without something new in the EFI) I wanted to check-in.

JHMarshIII

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z390-Prime
CPU
i5-9600K
GPU
@Edhawk had to step away from this for a time. I'm attaching the Clover folder that got me to Mojave, which I copied over to my EFI/EFI partition on the Mojave install, frustratingly on reboot, it stops at End Random Seed on reboot. I now have a Time Machine back up as well. I have yet to reboot for fear of losing it all again.

Attachments

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Not a problem, I have to do that sometimes, i.e. step away from posting on this site.

You may be able to boot with the CLOVER folder in post #15 but I doubt you have any graphics acceleration.

You have added a boot argument -igfxvesa, which if I read the argument correctly will boot your IGPU in a lower resolution, with no QE/CI (Quartz Extreme/Core Image). You probably have very limited VRAM, between 7mb and 22mb is common when booting without acceleration.

This boot argument is likely to disable the following:
  • Boot > Boot Arguments - shikigva=80 (used for DRM playback with AMD dGPU installed)
  • Devices > Properties - IGPU - AAPL,ig-platform-id etc. patches/settings for WhateverGreen.kext.
I would recommend you remove the -igfxvesa boot argument.

If you want to disable the RX 5700 XT while running Mojave, I would suggest you use this Whatevergreen.kext boot argument -wegnoegpu. This will disable any and all discrete graphics cards. When upgrading to Catalina you can remove this boot argument, as long as the version of macOS Catalina is newer than 10.15.2.

Your config.plist above uses the iMac 19.1 SMBIOS, which is correct for your CPU. However, this SMBIOS expects a discrete GPU and a headless IGPU to be present. Your RX 5700 XT will not work in Mojave so this may not be the best SMBIOS to use while running Mojave, when only an IGPU is present and working.

Other than this the CLOVER folder looks OK.

The Random Seed error can be caused by a number of things, not just the memory not being recognised. This is explained in more detail in the OpenCore Troubleshooting guide - https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...rnel-issues.html#stuck-on-eb-log-exitbs-start

The Stuck on EB Log EXITBS-START issue covers the RANDOM SEED issues, they are one and the same.

JHMarshIII

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z390-Prime
CPU
i5-9600K
GPU
Right now I am running only with two sticks of ram (16x2) and the IGPU. I removed the RX 5700 and fendvi BT cards entirely because I am trying to just get to Mojave via the NVME EFI.

I see now this Clover in #15 is not what I have on my Boot EFI on the Samsung 970 NVME. So I've copied the Clover folder from #15 to the EFI on the NVME and removed the boot argument -igfxvesa and will reboot and see what happens.

Two questions.

1. There is an Apple/Extentions folder in my EFI on the NVME. Is that OK?
  2. I have a Time Machine back up, if this trashes again, can I restore from my Time Machine back up after booting off the working EFI on the USB?

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
The Apple extensions folder is generated when the system is updated from one version of macOS to another, i.e. 10.14.1 updated to 10.14.2.

Yes, you can boot of the USB and restore the drive from the Time Machine backup, although this tends to be a slow process. You need to boot through the installer, when you get to the Apple Installation wizard, then you need to select 'Restore from Time Machine' instead of 'Install macOS'.

If you have a spare SSD, you might want to look at creating a bootable Clone of the macOS drive. Then you would have no need to use Time Machine process, just install and select the Clone drive from the Clover boot screen. You just need to make sure the Clone drive has access to the working EFI Folder, that can be on the original NVME drive or elsewhere (USB).

You can copy the EFI Folder from your NVME drive to the Clone's EFI Partition, that is probably the safest option. That is usually what I do when troubleshooting or creating a new installation.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner, which is a trial then paid product. You can use SuperDuper, which is free for personal use but also has a paid product for commercial usage.

JHMarshIII

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z390-Prime
CPU
i5-9600K
GPU
I think I'm making some progress. In post #16 there is a reference to both the -igfxvesa boot argument and the iMac 19.1 SMBIOS expects a discrete GPU and a headless IGPU to be present. I've discovered I can't boot without the -igfxvesa on the USB drive either. In both cases, I get a black screen.

So its presence may be masking the use of SMBIOS iMac19.1. I found a SMBIOS (iMac 18.2) that is still compatible with the I5-9600K CPU and tried that without -igfxvesa and still get a black screen/no video output.

Last edited:

JHMarshIII

macOS
Mobo
Asus Z390-Prime
CPU
i5-9600K
GPU
I think I'm making some progress. In post #16 there is a reference to both the -igfxvesa boot argument and the iMac 19.1 SMBIOS expects a discrete GPU and a headless IGPU to be present. I've discovered I can't boot without the -igfxvesa on the USB drive either. In both cases, I get a black screen.

So its presence may be masking the use of SMBIOS iMac19.1. I found a SMBIOS (iMac 18.2) that is still compatible with the I5-9600K CPU and tried that without -igfxvesa and still get a black screen/no video output.
I also realize I am using an i5-9600K, (650 graphics) and not the i5-8600k (630 graphics). This might help explain why I can't just mirror the Catalina 15.2 ASUS Prime Z-390-A build.

Update: Now booting into Mojave with no USB stick. Now I have a Catalina 10.15.7 macOS install USB. I will put back in the Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 and use my other SSD 870 SATA for install.