Thabomb31

macOS
Mobo
MSI B250 M3 Gaming Motherboard
CPU
Intel I5 7500
GPU
MSI RX480 8GB
I followed the guide from Brandon Yen on youtube "macOS Big Sur Hackintosh Guide - No macOS Required!". When I startup from the USB and choose macOS base system (External) It will start and then stops at the line "root". Don't know what I did wrong, hope someone can help.
My pc setup:
  • MSI B250 M3 Gaming Motherboard
  • Intel I5 7500
  • MSI RX480 8GB
  • 2x8GB Corsair LP Vengeance DDR4 2400
  • 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws V F4 2400

A copy of my USB that I made: http://www.filedropper.com/usbhackintosh

Last edited:

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
If the message is 'Still waiting for Root Device' it means macOS can no longer read the USB installer, as the port it is connected to has been dropped by macOS following the start of the boot process, and that specific port is no longer functioning.

You need to boot from the USB again, It is OK to use the same USB port. But once you have selected the macOS installer on the Clover boot screen you need to move the USB device to another port. This is not uncommon, I have come across this with a few hacks with unusual USB configurations.

On one system I plugged in two USB extension leads so the USB device was in easy reach and all I had to do was switch the USB device from one extension lead to another, no need to stretch around the back of the case looking for another USB port.

Thabomb31

macOS
Mobo
MSI B250 M3 Gaming Motherboard
CPU
Intel I5 7500
GPU
MSI RX480 8GB
If the message is 'Still waiting for Root Device' it means macOS can no longer read the USB installer, as the port it is connected to has been dropped by macOS following the start of the boot process, and that specific port is no longer functioning.

You need to boot from the USB again, It is OK to use the same USB port. But once you have selected the macOS installer on the Clover boot screen you need to move the USB device to another port. This is not uncommon, I have come across this with a few hacks with unusual USB configurations.

On one system I plugged in two USB extension leads so the USB device was in easy reach and all I had to do was switch the USB device from one extension lead to another, no need to stretch around the back of the case looking for another USB port.
It only says "root" not 'Still waiting for Root Device'. Just root

Edhawk

macOS
Mobo
GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4790K
GPU
Powercolor RX 580 8GB
Post a picture of the kernel panic.